DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Victator said:

Look at him Tony, look at him suffer. Isn't life anguish and misery Tony? Right now, Gary Royal is the only man truly alive in this studio Tony.

For some reason, I read this in a Rick Sanchez voice. So:

12 hours ago, Victator said:

Look at him Mooorty, look at him suffer. Isn't life anguish and misery Morty? Right now, Gary Royal is the only man truly alive in this studio Morty.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The full Flair/Sting match isn't out there correct?  How was the match?

I remember them showing the end of the match on Worldwide but never seen the full match. What was the reasoning for Flair (1) Getting the title back (2) Getting the title back at a house show? And I know he hated his look then but I always dug it

Ahhhh the glory days when WWE were having to go back and edit the F out of all their old footage so Sky Sports began showing 1990 WCW Worldwide shows instead. So many Doom and Steiner squashes <3

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I remember them showing the end of the match on Worldwide but never seen the full match. What was the reasoning for Flair (1) Getting the title back (2) Getting the title back at a house show? And I know he hated his look then but I always dug it

I am pretty sure it was because that was the same time that WCW split with NWA and they wanted Flair as champ

Well if I am remembering my timeline right - it was also Dusty took over as booker from Ole and that was another reason (I just can't remember for certain if Dusty took over when the split happened or later that same year)

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Sure-fire way to jack up their house show attendance/revenue.

ISTR they were pushing this show huge locally and were expecting a big crowd before the blizzard killed off their walk-up.

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Ahhhh the glory days when WWE were having to go back and edit the F out of all their old footage so Sky Sports began showing 1990 WCW Worldwide shows instead. So many Doom and Steiner squashes <3

There was also the deal where Flair wanted the belt back for bailing them out of the Black Scorpion finale...

• Like 1

On the topic of both body shaming and Gail Kim, I was scrolling down the channel guide the other day and an episode of her husband's show read something like "Robert demands his wife to get in shape before an event". I was like, "you're telling that to a fucking pro wrestler?!"

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am pretty sure it was because that was the same time that WCW split with NWA and they wanted Flair as champ

Well if I am remembering my timeline right - it was also Dusty took over as booker from Ole and that was another reason (I just can't remember for certain if Dusty took over when the split happened or later that same year)

I was always under the impression that it was because Sting was a bust as champ.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Flair bailed them out of the Black Scorpion deal but only agreed to do it if he got the belt back.

Still don't get why it was not Barry Windham. Would have been a better match, since Barry could disguise himself easier. Or hell just go with Angel of Death.

1 minute ago, Victator said:

Flair bailed them out of the Black Scorpion deal but only agreed to do it if he got the belt back.

Flair used the Black Scorpion ploy to mess with Sting's head, leaving him vulnerable, you mean. It's just like how he made Warrior and Savage paranoid towards each other so he could steal the belt back in 92.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Flair used the Black Scorpion ploy to mess with Sting's head, leaving him vulnerable, you mean. It's just like how he made Warrior and Savage paranoid towards each other so he could steal the belt back in 92.

It actualy makes everything tie together retroactively. ven Barry as the faux Sting works when you realize Flair didv not want Sid to win the title. 

29 minutes ago, Victator said:

Still don't get why it was not Barry Windham. Would have been a better match, since Barry could disguise himself easier. Or hell just go with Angel of Death.

I thought the last part was the original plan but Mr. Death's career was ended due to an injury in a match with PN News.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Be a Star, John!

I don't answer net rumors. Answers net rumor. 

Scott Hall on JBL's little interview show on the network talked about how they would steal JBL's cowbell he brought with him to the ring and wait for him to be wrestling to stand at the entranceway and ring it until he noticed. A great rib.

Cutting up people's gear and stealing passports not so much. 

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

I thought the last part was the original plan but Mr. Death's career was ended due to an injury in a match with PN News.

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

PN News didn't debut in WCW until May 91.

They backed off the Angel Of Death plan. I would guess because they knew him and Sting could not have a PPV quality main event. Which seems off now but in 1990, more was expected of the NWA Champion. The Sid/Sting match being the outlier. 

As a kid I thought it would be Rick Steiner but that would have too many complications. 

Just occurred to me that Eddie Gilbert would have been perfect. 

• Like 2