DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

What a tease. Finlay's run tour of the indies was so wonderful. Was anybody meaner in the ring from the mid '80s onward? Watching the two Callihan matches last week and he's just a jerk in everything he does.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can totally see Vince yammed up out of his mind, dried bits of coke under his nostrils, looking like a madman holding a drawing of the Faarooq Asad costume triumphantly over his head, thinking he came up with the greatest gimmick ever.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

I'm pretty sure cocaine literally held a seat on the booking committee in the 80s.  

• Like 8

"Vince, Ron Simmons is coming in.  Let's play off his college football achievements and make him a serious contender."

"That sounds good, pal, but first let me consult our other committee member, cocaine."

SNOOOOOOOOOORT

GOD DAMMIT PAL HE'S A MODERN DAY GLADIATOR.  GIVE HIM A BLACK MILITANT NAME, A FOAM HELMET THAT MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE AN EGG AND A PRETTY WHITE GIRL SO WE CAN COVER THE RACE BAITING ANGLE.  IT'S MONEY!  WHERE'S MY STEAK WRAP GOD DAMMIT?

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

GOD DAMMIT PAL HE'S A MODERN DAY GLADIATOR.  GIVE HIM A BLACK MILITANT NAME, A FOAM HELMET THAT MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE AN EGG AND A PRETTY WHITE GIRL SO WE CAN COVER THE RACE BAITING ANGLE.  IT'S MONEY!  WHERE'S MY STEAK WRAP GOD DAMMIT?

Brudda, as an oldster I must point out that your choice of Mr, McMahon's food took me out of your narrative. Wraps were more of a 90s thing (but I have never had an office job so what do I know). "Lean Cuisine and a Red Bull", perhaps? "Blackened Cajun-style chicken breast and a white zinfandel"? Pan-fried cocaine w/a cocaine breading and a bechamel cocaine sauce"?

- RAF

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Am I the only one that thinks Raw would be better if they fired the writers and went back to letting Cocaine book the show?

It's worth a shot. We know the promos would be better.

• Like 2

OAH4n5v.png

Billy Robinson vs Abdullah the Butcher -- Oct 18, 1978 All Japan

I hate that this screensnap came out so blurry. Billy hangs there for a good minute or more, during which Abby keeps headbutting his knee. He's balancing on his neck - the whole sequence is insane. (and pays off beautifully for the rest of the match, by the way)

It's Stan Hansen. I'm not a fan of the match. They keep doing a "Hansen counters Destroyer's headlock into a headscissors and Destroyer struggles to get out" spot over and over. Like th logical progression would be for Destroyer to come back with a quick counter of his own after the second time but nope he just keeps getting caught in the headscissors.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

It's Stan Hansen. I'm not a fan of the match. They keep doing a "Hansen counters Destroyer's headlock into a headscissors and Destroyer struggles to get out" spot over and over. Like th logical progression would be for Destroyer to come back with a quick counter of his own after the second time but nope he just keeps getting caught in the headscissors.

I haven't watched the match yet. I was just checking the file, and I couldn't believe how Hansen looked. 

What you describe sounds like a match from about 10 years before, where Destroyer and Rikidozan do the same thing. The headscissors feels like the only move R seems to know for the first lonnnnnggggg sequence in the match, and he keeps going right back to it. 

Maybe it's some kind of call-back to that match?

2 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Brudda, as an oldster I must point out that your choice of Mr, McMahon's food took me out of your narrative. Wraps were more of a 90s thing (but I have never had an office job so what do I know). "Lean Cuisine and a Red Bull", perhaps? "Blackened Cajun-style chicken breast and a white zinfandel"? Pan-fried cocaine w/a cocaine breading and a bechamel cocaine sauce"?

- RAF

One of the sleazier tell-all books said his office reeked of tuna so bad even Japanese visitors were appalled. Which sounds really racist, but hey.

39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

One of the sleazier tell-all books said his office reeked of tuna so bad even Japanese visitors were appalled. Which sounds really racist, but hey.

I could see Vince having a fetish for fishy nether regions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

- RAF

The story goes that Vince would eat what he called "meat wraps" every day for years, not knowing that he was actually eating burritos.  Because no one had the balls to correct him.

• Like 4

I have traveled with bodybuilder type wrestlers who do that whole umpteen small meals a day gimmick, and travel with a rolly bag full of canned tuna and supplements. And Pop Tarts very often, for some reason. We are all here to go, sonny lad, relax and enjoy life, I say.

- RAF

p.s. - and if Mr. McMahon wants to rename burritos as "meat wraps", it is within his power. YOU SAVE A WHOLE SYLLABLE, SON. What books are these anecdotes coming from?

I couldn't remember earlier but the tuna anecdote was in Sex, Lies, and Headlocks by Shaul Assael and Mike Mooneyham. Whether or not it's a good book, or factual, is probably up for debate

It's funny that I read the Amazon comments about it and local weirdo Ripper the Clown commented on it. I met him at a local shop where he was dropping off flyers for some performance and noted that he had the Brian Pillman "F--- YOU" glasses on in the photo and turned out he's a big fan. Go figure.

I would try and post a picture but I don't want to trigger anyone since he's, you know, a clown

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

- RAF

Those are all good food choices, but "steak wrap" is a true story.  From former WWE writer Dan Madigan:

"I think they were going to poison Big Show and give him a spiked burrito. The whole concept was: 'We're going to spike his food, spike the burrito, you cut to a vignette before that showing him eating it, and then he passes out in the ring.' So, Vince goes, 'Burrito?! Who the hell knows what a burrito is?' It was such a foreign concept. And everyone in the room goes, 'Well, we know what a burrito is.' And Vince goes, 'Well, where the hell have I been?'

"But, the funny thing is, every day at noon, Vince's secretary would walk into the office - the writing room - with a burrito. It was a steak-wrap cut in half. And he would put ketchup on it. Every day, he was eating a burrito and not knowing what it was. But, that's the idea - when you're in a bubble and in a business where you're ostracized from society, it's you and them, that's it. Everyone else is an outsider, so things like that do make sense in the confines of the wrestling world."

• Like 4