DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Some of us never stopped. 

Oddly enough I'm cool with those like you who have always had an issue with somebody.  It's kind of like J.T.'s Orton hatred in that it's consistent.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

I think for 500,000 bucks any of us would get beat up for a minute or two on ppv. All it takes is a lack of dignity. 

You don't have much in the chamber past sarcasm do you?

Punk very publically decried WWE using part timers during his time in the company. Please explain how this is different? 

Wrestlemania doesn't happen 20-30 times a year. He took one fight on  a 12 match card. He didn't fucking take a spot from anybody. 

• Like 2

I don't read comics anymore, I don't watch UFC/MMA, don't watch TWD, am not going to watch an MTV reality series, and haven't in my life been interested in Twitter wars with the Kings' mascot no matter WHO it is. My only interest in CM Punk is his wrestling. 

And yet I know every move he makes, thanks in no small part to the same few people who can't contain their vitriol every time someone mentions his goddamned name. I realize this is the one wrestling board were can't be certain he doesn't read, but come on, move on with your lives already.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I don't read comics anymore, I don't watch UFC/MMA, don't watch TWD, and haven't in my life been interested in Twitter wars with the Kings' mascot no matter WHO it is. My only interest in CM Punk is his wrestling. 

I actually think the Kings mascot has a future. That's one hell of a garvin stomp. 

Related image

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

March Madness 2018 Edition

Topics that people will never get over

I got a PM from Craig, looked into this thread, and regretted that decision immediately. Immediately.

2 minutes ago, Victator said:

CM Punk dropped out, see if Bobcat Goldthwath is in fighting shape,

I respect that at no point did you try to make a rational, coherent point. That's true dedication.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

11 months is an awfully long time to let us sit around sharpening sticks.  Some of us won't make it that long.  The bile rolling around in our stomachs will eat it's way through the stomach lining in six months, tops.

3 months if AJ and Punk adopt a puppy and dare to post pics of it on social media.  

For the record, I have no idea what Punk said that was objectionable.  He had a goal when he was younger.  When he got older, his goals changed.  I guess there are only so many goals to go around and he took them away from someone more deserving?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I like this actually. The list is so long. It'd be fun to watch 

Nash shouldn't have taken Goldberg's streak! 

Vs. 

Fingerpoke of Doom.

In the Vinnie Vegas Sold Out MSG Brother Conference.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Round 1 in the Grumpy Ole Division:

Bret Hart is too full of himself (I'll doubt El Dandy if I darn well please)

vs

Vince Russo killed Nitro (you mean it wasn't David Arquette?)

~~~

Bayley's run is being mishandled

vs.

WrestleMania 3 attendance record

~~~

Vince Mcmahon is an egomaniac that has not seen any movies released this decade (not even WWE films)

vs.

Jim Cornette's rants about modern wrestling

~~~

Brock Lesnar's bad for business all in all (suplex city, of course)

vs.

Inside a steel Davey Richards (complete with superplex spot)

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I got a PM from Craig, looked into this thread, and regretted that decision immediately. Immediately.

I respect that at no point did you try to make a rational, coherent point. That's true dedication.

To be fair I PM'd you to give you a heads up in case anyone started quoting you and your notifications started popping up. I just needed those quotes! :)

5 minutes ago, zev said:

Inside a steel Davey Richards (complete with superplex spot)

My biggest fear in life is that the biggest mark I'll ever leave is the 8 or so wrestling fans who refrence the Steel Davey Richards.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Victator said:

Hmm no I think that is wrong. You have used up one of three chances. 

You're talking about spots in the UFC when literally none of that matters in the UFC. Apparently, you did not the see undercard for that show because none of those fights would've benefited being on the main card. Lentz/McBride was a lower level lightweight fight, Correia/Eye was a middle of the road women's bout, I don't even remember Tavares/Magalhaes, and the other two bouts are with Drew Dober and Yancy Medeiros. Absolutely none of those fights would've added to the PPV. Hell, Gall vs. anybody else wouldn't have added to the PPV like Gall vs. Punk. UFC PPVs aren't very exclusive. They've have been people more questionable than Punk that have fought on UFC undercards. 

Moreover, the UFC can sign virtually anyone they want to. If you've noticed if the UFC doesn't sign anyone, it ain't because of lack of money or space. If the UFC wants you and you're free and clear, the UFC will sign you.  The UFC roster is 650 people deep and does a two reality shows looking for MORE people to put on their roster. The reason why Punk got the fight is because he is CM Punk and that meant something when they signed him back then. Even though the UFC had a phenomenal 2015 and 2016, his name still means more than roughly 80% of the roster because it's a PPV first company and a star driven sport. And if we're talking about matchmaking, someone like Joe Silva isn't going just put Punk in some random fight. Yeah, there are some straight up cab drivers on the local circuit but none of those guys represent a win-win situation for the UFC. Whether or not Punk could be a legitimate fighter is irrelevant since even if he was...he's still on the wrong side of 30 and spent several years in pro wrestling. He's not a heavyweight like Bobby Lashley or Lesnar so he wouldn't be able to benefit from facing guys who aren't all that athletic anyway. Just by adding in the injuries he sustained training at Roufusport, he may have had 1 or 2 years in MMA tops. The UFC was going to let him have one fight against someone who would probably benefit from winning and assess it from there. They let Duke Roufus and Scott Cushman do all that they could for him and went from there when he got healthy.

Rehashing this whole thing is silly because the UFC's business model (especially prior to the regime change last quarter 2016) is that they're willing to put on notable fights that people want to watch and that the sport aspect doesn't necessarily mean that every fight should have the same implications. If that was the case, the UFC doesn't have a giant 2016 and definitely get purchased for 4 billion dollars. If anything the last two years proves there is space for any type of fight as long as it makes money.

• Like 2