DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The other thing with the Austin/Ambrose interview was Ambrose shit on Brock for not wanting to do anything in their match and that is why it was shitty

Now while mostly true - it didn't do him any favors either

• Like 2

3 hours ago, southofheavy said:

That suicide dive that takes him a month to run across the ring for is another. 

He looks so awkward and uncomfortable doing that move that I'm really surprised he hasn't gotten his feet tangled in the ropes and splattered himself on the concrete.  I cringe every time he goes for that move.

Roman was saying the sane thing about Brock on TIJ about his Mania match. I think the difference is Brock may have saw Ambrose as less credible than Roman. I think Brock will see Braun as Credible because he looks believable and too be honest not many guys look physically imposing to Brock. We all know if Punk wasn't a Heyman guy Punk would've gotten eaten up in that SummerSlam match they had.

21 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think Brock has shown he's more than willing to do business (see: Goldberg). There just has to be a pay off.

You can totally see the Austin influence. 

Exactly, Even Big Show got eaten up in that match at Rumble because He knew they weren't going to do anything meaningful with Show, the match with Dean was just to have both guys on the card, even though Dean Was the most over of the Shield guys at that point

Y'all are giving Brock too much credit.  The only pay off Brock cares about is his paycheck clearing.  He's been in low effort mode for a while now.  We saw it at Wrestlemania 20, we saw it in New Japan, we're seeing it now.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That middle turnbuckle jumpstart across the ring clothesline thing.... I hate that more than the lunatic thing

He's billed from Cincinnati. Spent years in one of the indies based there. Longest running, arguably biggest, rock and roll station in the area calls itself "The lunatic fringe of American FM." They've got a history of interaction with wrestling, including Dusty Rhodes once wearing one of the station's t-shirts while in the ring back when the NWA ran shows in Cincy every month or two.

I really think the bookers just heard that moniker and decided to keep using it.

The weird thing is that Dean did Jericho's podcast around the same time as Austin's. They covered a lot of the same things, but without the weird (and clearly mandated by Vince/Higher Ups) confrontational attitude, and the dude came out fine and dandy.

P.S. It's 2 am and I'm almost falling asleep, please excuse any typos and/or broken english. I'll edit it tomorrow.

From the SE Wrestling FB page:

This day in history for April 16

Southeastern @Tallahassee, FL--Sports Stadium--  April 16, 1982 

Michael Hayes & Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden vs. Terry Gordy & New Zealand Sheepherders (Jonathan Boyd & Luke Williams) in a loser leave town match

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Roman was saying the same thing about Brock on TIJ about his Mania match. I think the difference is Brock may have saw Ambrose as less credible than Roman. I think Brock will see Braun as Credible because he looks believable and too be honest not many guys look physically imposing to Brock. We all know if Punk wasn't a Heyman guy Punk would've gotten eaten up in that SummerSlam match they had.

I agree about the credibility part, it's clear Lesnar has a cut-off mark in his head as to who he thinks is worthy of his time. But I also think Reigns forced his hand a bit. Reigns alluded to Brock testing him at first during their match, and he had to prove that he wasn't to be taken lightly. If you have a real athletic background though, Lesnar will usually show you some respect.

It'll be interesting to see what Brock does for this final year on his contract.  Some people want a Brock-Balor match.  Why? Do they want Finn to die? I just don't see where that one would work at all. I may be wrong, though.

37 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

To me, Dean's biggest problem is that he doesn't come off as an unhinged DTA, Austin-esque type of lunatic, but rather a "he's so zany" type.

Dean's character is supposed to be "rebel without a cause" but he's more "guy you wouldn't want to sit next to at a dinner party".

It happens almost every time with WWE writers though. They try to write a character and it ends up being awkward, fake as hell and scripted to say shit that would never actually be uttered in a conversation with another human. I feel like the scripted promo thing has gotten worse the last few years, too. 

• Like 3

I like how it's supposedly Ambrose's fault in a lot of people's eyes that the Austin podcast went wrong. Every single one they did on the Network up until that point, and even the non-Network shows, were all out of character, just interviewing the people behind the character. Then Austin gets the bright idea (or Dunn/Vince/whoever) to flip the script and turn it into a work and try to goad Ambrose into cutting a promo on Austin. I would be confused as hell too. I get that Austin probably sees a lot of himself in Ambrose and wanted to bring the fire out of him, or whatever, but going from "tell us about your family" to "cut a fuckin' promo on me you son of a bitch" is kind of dumb.

• Like 2

Yep. Looking at all the ones he's done... even the Brock Lesnar one was a non-kayfabe interview. I'm pretty sure Ambrose is the only one that he's tried to turn into a work and cut promos with. He teased something with Heyman at the end of that one in 2015, but Dean Ambrose is not Paul Heyman.

What possible reason would a worker need to be able to cut a promo on a dime during an interview that's out of character for 99.9% of the time? Is Al Roker going to ask John Cena to cut a promo on him the next time he's on the Today Show?

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

What possible reason would a worker need to be able to cut a promo on a dime during an interview that's out of character for 99.9% of the time? Is Al Roker going to ask John Cena to cut a promo on him the next time he's on the Today Show?

Wrestlers are generally treated with hostility/disrespect by the mainstream, they should be able to out talk anyone they encounter. 

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

tumblr_mi8cmncaRz1rg89a6o1_500.jpg

The first thing I think is that we really do need a high concept comedy where Mark Henry plays a small child who is enormous and is getting ready for his first day of kindergarten but is too scared to walk in alone...leading to a high-stakes die hard situation when his gramma is taken hostage.

My second though is "God, their son turned out to be a disappointment."

13 minutes ago, piranesi said:

The first thing I think is that we really do need a high concept comedy where Mark Henry plays a small child who is enormous and is getting ready for his first day of kindergarten but is too scared to walk in alone...leading to a high-stakes die hard situation when his gramma is taken hostage.

My second though is "God, their son turned out to be a disappointment."

Hornswoggle tells a story how he would go into a diner with Great Khalli and hold his hand. Khalli would tell the waitress "This is my son", then Mark Henry walks in. Khalli calmly says "This is my other son."

• Like 9