DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I watched Holly on an IPW:UK show the other weekend. He was lots of fun as the grumpy "get off my lawn" granddad that I like so much in Japan from people like Takayama. 

But at least Takayama can actually wrestle. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

That's kinda what this board has become. It's just wrestling. Lighten up, people :)

You have to take in mind that I'm sure this board serves the same purpose that wrestling itself does for people, as a release valve for pent-up anger, hostility, etc. Me, I'm laughing because I'm having a relatively good day so far and the overload of negativity is amusing :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You have to take in mind that I'm sure this board serves the same purpose that wrestling itself does for people, as a release valve for pent-up anger, hostility, etc. Me, I'm laughing because I'm having a relatively good day so far and the overload of negativity is amusing :lol:

Oh, same here. I'm in a great mood. Gonna have a bunch of people over for Mania, and we're not gonna overanalyze and nitpick everything. Just gonna enjoy it and not get all tense over little things. Happy #Wrestlemania Day!

I love Wrestlemania Day. I mentioned in another thread that I'm about to become a father. Once my kid is born, I'm going to make Wrestlemania Day a thing for us. Get him a wrestling themed gift and all that.

• Like 12

Part of the issue I find is when there's self-imposed pressure to come to DVDVR or PWO or wherever and post match/show reviews. If you're writing a review in your head (or even taking notes), then it's hard to just relax and enjoy the show. And also, if it's something you're enjoying, you feel like you still need to come up with something to criticize so you don't come across like a mark. 

That's my experience, anyway. It's something I have to constantly fight, and I frequently lose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

JBLmay be a bit of an asshole,

He's a shitty, abusive person. Rather sadistic.

But in a pathetic way.  Scary. But not that much, you know?

He can't back it up.  He's a coward. 

Hey, when Chris Benoit was your partner in crime, you should start asking serious questions of yourself. 

30 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Part of the issue I find is when there's self-imposed pressure to come to DVDVR or PWO or wherever and post match/show reviews. If you're writing a review in your head (or even taking notes), then it's hard to just relax and enjoy the show. And also, if it's something you're enjoying, you feel like you still need to come up with something to criticize so you don't come across like a mark. 

That's my experience, anyway. It's something I have to constantly fight, and I frequently lose. 

Holy shit, yes! I feel like when I praise something, I almost immediately get shouted down. I guess that's one of the major drawbacks of social media, message boards included. 

By the way, PWO jumped the shark when they started talking about sociopolitical issues as they pertain to wrestling. What a bunch of pretentious nonsense. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just discovered that a KC-based indy airing on a local station I get.

So, the first match I see involves one guy doing a Wine Connoisseur gimmick in a heel vs heel match. The absence of his manservant is conspicuous, it seems.

edit 2: Wine Connoisseur Guy (Plonk) is bleeding around the 11:20 mark of the match. His opponent unleashed a back rake after the blood started. Fun!

BTW, Plonk lost after his opponent spit Plonk's wine into his face and Doctor Bombed him. I'm guessing the science holds up there. Plonk seemed more like the good guy because in the echelon of things, he's not as evil.

Also, indy guys doing variants of Roll the Dice/Last Rites is a common thing these days? Or doing a version of that involving somebody starting in the ropes which is a move I should know the name to but actually don't.

32 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Speaking of Pantera, am I the only one who prefers Kilgore's version of Rob Van Dam's ECW theme, "Walk"?

I dislike Pantera and have always had a soft spot for Kilgore as they're from around here (RI) and are super nice dudes with a couple great records. Used to go see them quite often. Jay, their singer, still plays out in a variety of projects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reed said:

But at least Takayama can actually wrestle. 

Holly is really good, so don't know what you are on about.

Kurt, a man who has tested himself in the highest competition possible (the Olympics), decides to pick on some rookies. One is a half-assed, second-rate UFC fighter and says: "Well, I'll fight you."

Kurt gets embarrassed.

Because he got petty, cruel and decided to be a bully. 

So you don't know any of the story here. 

This was the idea of the office, Kurt was injured at the time and did not want to do it. He did not go to the ring during a live taping and decide to "bully" the game show contestants. 

And it was officially called an amateur wrestling challenge and Puder pinned himself. Which Puder managed to live off of for a few years.

So the lesson is you don't research anything. 

1 hour ago, cubbymark said:

Speaking of Pantera, am I the only one who prefers Kilgore's version of Rob Van Dam's ECW theme, "Walk"?

Probably. Although, Kilgore is pretty good in their own right.

While on the subject of songs used in ECW, Prong was/is criminally underrated.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ChrisM said:

JBLmay be a bit of an asshole, but it's not like he's Ole Anderson or something. From all accounts, that guy was a tyrant. 

Ole maybe a humorless dick, but I don't remember hearing any bully stories from him. Plus he booked(with varying degrees of success, granted) which is more than JBL ever did. JBL is a piece of shit that is lucky a shooter never decided to cripple his ass. . . .

• Like 1