DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Hogan did not do a clean job to Yokozuna by any stretch of the imagination.

True. The Legdrop 1, 2, 3 presence was way stronger in my memory than the Harvey Whippelman (it was him I believe) flash photography moment. My bad. I still remember it as a "cleaner" finish than a lot of Hogan title losses later and even earlier. I mean, even Sting needed a biased enforcer on the outside messing with The Hollywood Hulk to get the belt off him. But no more excuses, my memory tricked me on that one.

During this conversation I was actually thinking how it would have been had Vince tricked Bret into getting into the ring, than having Shawn pull out due to a knee injury. Than would have sent Shamrock out who would have said something like "Easy way or hard way, Bret. You decide." Now that would have been an Oldschool double cross. If even totally unnecessary, according to quite a few of the stories surrounding the whole thing.

Bret might have been willing to loose the title to sb else, someone he respected. But this weren´t the days of the old shooters and hookers anymore. And Bret was probably capable of holding himself quite well, but he wasn´t the guy who got his reigns because he was unbeatable irl. Promoters made you champions. I never got Vince behaviour here, but let´s for just a second assume the belt was on someone like Sid who was there just half a year earlier and he would have said "I can´t job to Shawn"...it would be the first time I knew of where Sid would refuse to do a job, but I don´t think any of us would think it wasn´t unprofessional.

He probably wouldn't have cared about losing to Shamrock. Wasn't Ken one of the guys on Bret's list of people to drop it to? 

Had Shamrock been in that scenario, I bet Hart could've gotten a pretty good match out of him. 

Which now makes me think, outside of Canadian Stampede, did they ever face off 1v1? I can't remember. 

11 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

He probably wouldn't have cared about losing to Shamrock. Wasn't Ken one of the guys on Bret's list of people to drop it to? 

Had Shamrock been in that scenario, I bet Hart could've gotten a pretty good match out of him. 

Which now makes me think, outside of Canadian Stampede, did they ever face off 1v1? I can't remember. 

Bret and Leo Burke were the ones who trained Shamrock when he was going to return to wrestling. 

So in theory Bret might have agreed to drop the Title to Shawn the next night on Raw? They could have built from the No Contest the night before and made it a cage match on Raw to keep DX and The Hart Foundation out of the match and Shawn could have won be escaping the cage and Bret could have left without getting pinned by Shawn. This furthers my theory that Vince wanted Bret to be damaged goods on his exit. 

It also exposes the misconception at the heart of the 'Bret refused to drop the title on his way out' concept. He wasn't supposed to be on his way out for another month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Bret and Leo Burke were the ones who trained Shamrock when he was going to return to wrestling. 

Plus IIRC Shamrock told Bret that he was upset about what happened and would quit WWE but since he'd just started he didn't want to be out of a job and Bret told him not to.

Ken Shamrock as WWF World Champion would have been cool even if it lasted a month. I think even if Bret wasn't screwed and dropped the belt to Ken or Taker or Mankind or Austin, Shawn would have still gotten it before Mania and it would have been Austin vs Shawn at Mania either way.

• Like 3

I love the idea of writing a movie aimed a specific audience and then changing all the details in the movie so that it pisses off that audience. It would be one thing if nobody knew the details but some of the changes they made are insulting to the fans' intelligence as well as the wrestlers they're portraying. Between that script and this Great Balls of Fire shit I think WWE's April Fool's Jokes were delayed by a few weeks.

I don't know why people think Vince is out of touch cause he never sees any movies.  He's probably seen more movies than I have.  I've never seen Wild Hogs and I've only seen the first and third Marine.  He's probably seen all 16, pal.

They probably only bought that script to keep it from escaping on its own.  Lemme tell you how the rewrite should go, baby.  We start in rural North Carolina where we meet young Vince, a poor black boy who endures a rough childhood of abuse from his mother's revolving door of male lovers.  Always telling him about the butt stuff they do with his mom while they beat him.  Young Vince just dreams of the day when he can leave his life of abuse and running moonshine and meet a nice girl that will let him shove leaves in her cooch.  Then one day the new phone book arrives and Vince looks up his father.  We join the story a few years later where Vince, now played by Channing Tatum, is preparing to take over his father's wrestling business and is making the preparations for the first WrestleMania.  An hour or so of some bullshit goes by then Vince performs Stand Back at the Slammys.  Then like twenty more minutes of bullshit and we go to a graveyard where The Undertaker is presiding over Vince's funeral and we see old Triple H, played by Danny Devito, giving a sorrowful goodbye yet he follows it with a slight smirk.  And in the background we see a police car dragging a casket and well, it's The Big Show surfing atop said casket.  Then the credits play with Stand Back over them.  Then post-credits we see Vince's grave and a fist pops out of the dirt and opens up to reveal a wad of money and then another hand pops out with its middle finger extended.  Fade to black.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Between the Breakfast Club and the Flapjacks, I feel like we missed out on some epic breakfast-based factions stable wars where naturally Robert Fuller ends up in the role of Captain Crunch.

Can we get Repo Man as Cookie Crisp Burglar? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Don't know about beating him up but he definitely stiffed him. Heenan told that story. He said that Andre liked to do that one spot where he'd get tied into the ropes. So to get that to happen, they called a spot where Warrior would clothesline him and Andre would fall backwards into the ropes. Well, every night, Warrior would go full force and nail Andre with stiff clotheslines even though Andre kept telling him to lighten up. One night, Andre got pissed, stuck his fist out and nearly knocked Warrior out. Heenan said after that happened, Warrior basically tiptoed across the ring and tapped Andre with the clothesline.

2nd shoot I've heard Heenan detail that.

Tenryu is so lonely in that Rumble. It's like no wants to do anything with him. Then DiBiase shows up and he's like "Heeeeey I know you, will you play with me?" It's kinda adorable.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Watching the 1993 Rumble... it's like bizarro world... in the ring is Backlund, Flair, Lawler, and Tenryu.

... and now Perfect!

One more completely random dude and you have the makings of a classic WAR six man.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Tenryu is so lonely in that Rumble. It's like no wants to do anything with him. Then DiBiase shows up and he's like "Heeeeey I know you, will you play with me?" It's kinda adorable.

Socially Awkward Genichiro Tenryu is my new favorite character.

• Like 2