DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Great Balls of Fire works only works as a show name if the announcers work it into commentary as much as possible.  For instance, if Ambrose shows up ready to work and motivated (for a change), Cole can put that over to the audience by commenting "Ambrose's balls are really on fire tonight."

(crickets)

:( I'll show myself out

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Yeah this whole "Bret was unprofessional" narrative the WWE spins isn't the case Shawn had been unprofessional for years and Bret was fed up with Shawns attitude backstage and how he treated people and he wasnt going to put up with it. I believe Bret when he says he would have put over anyone else on Raw the next night. Shit if Vince didn't have to prove his dick size we would have probably of seen the no contest finish at survivor series with like Bret vs Taker on Raw with Taker going over and being the new Champ. Then Shawn regaining the title at Royal Rumble with Austin still going over at Mania. It'd be a completely different landscape in the wrestling world. Bret would have went over to WCW more focused and less in a personal funk and maybe would have fought harder for certain things and angles.

I´m totally with you guys that Shawn was being unprofessional and a prick. I never doubted that. Yet it is of course unprofessional behaviour on Bret´s regard in that particular instance. And people - rightfully so - gave Hogan shit for not dropping the title to Bret while accepting Yoko as the opponent to job to clean as sheet. "Rightfully so" in my opinion I will add, for imo the guy putting money in the promotion is the one to decide what to do with the title.

And I would like to argue that aswell as Bret losing a bit of focus that night, WCW had no clear plan and/or idea for him. What I always found more disgusting on Vince´s behalf was the idea of giving Bret - who was stupidly loyal - a 20 year contract only to wanting to get rid of him right away. Anyway, my basic answer to the question if/how they´d deal with the Montreal screwjob was simply that they´d probably put emphasis on Bret´s (imo existant) misbehaviour. They have an actual point in that imo.

In the grand scheme of things it of course pales in comparison to how much Bret got f´ed with and how bad Shawn was acting, how bad it was for Vince to put Bret in a situation like that etc. But honestly, if they´d put Montreal in there, they WILL take the one thing were Bret f´ed up and blow it out of proportion. They will probably add a furious Bret suckerpunching and beating up likeable-cocky Shawn backstage. I mean, if the early draft is correct, Vince FOUND André as a restaurant owner somewhere and turned him into a star. Do any of us think they will go at certain length to put light on every shade of grey regarding Montreal?

And people - rightfully so - gave Hogan shit for not dropping the title to Bret while accepting Yoko as the opponent to job to clean as sheet. "Rightfully so" in my opinion I will add, for imo the guy putting money in the promotion is the one to decide what to do with the title.

In my opinion this was more of a case of Vince telling both guys what they want to hear and pitting them against each other rather than Hogan not wanting to put Bret over. Bret said that Vince was the one who told him that Hogan refused to put him over for the title. Hogan pulled Bret into a meeting with Vince and when Hogan told his version of the story, Vince said that he never said that the match was going to be for the title. 

As I understand it, that version of the script is the one that had been floating around with studios not biting because Vince wasn't involved. It was only when WWE/Vince got onboard studios got interested, and presumably the script will see some serious re-watch.

When you read the history of title belts over the decades, there was always a lot of politics involved in the champion dropping the belt to someone that he respected. That's one reason for all of the double crosses. And that was before the notion of contractual creative control. At one point it was just the deposit. Bret would have dropped it to Shamrock. 

9f4d7ad393601b31dd37a97efa317573.jpg

Obvious opponent for Brock at the PPV. 

Sable on a pole match. 

On another note the all caps Vince impressions are terrible and this ppv could be called "Flaming Tables Thumbtacks Bloodbath" and their wouldn't be anything remotely close to any of it featured. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Clearly Hulk Hogan is coming back to be Brock's opponent

YxIxMk.gif

He only did that because the marks worked themselves into a shoot, when it was a work that was perceived as a shoot, but was really a work. 

And that's a shoot. 

• Like 1

Are there any stories of Warrior being in any fights or shoot confrontations? Hogan at least has the famous one about him snatching Verne Gagne in a front facelock. The only thing I've heard about Warrior is him potatoing Rude and Rude taking him down and telling him to lighten up or else he would shove Warrior's head up his ass.

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Are there any stories of Warrior being in any fights or shoot confrontations? Hogan at least has the famous one about him snatching Verne Gagne in a front facelock. The only thing I've heard about Warrior is him potatoing Rude and Rude taking him down and telling him to lighten up or else he would shove Warrior's head up his ass.

Didn't Andre beat up Warrior during their feud in '89?

Just now, PetrolCB said:

Didn't Andre beat up Warrior during their feud in '89?

Don't know about beating him up but he definitely stiffed him. Heenan told that story. He said that Andre liked to do that one spot where he'd get tied into the ropes. So to get that to happen, they called a spot where Warrior would clothesline him and Andre would fall backwards into the ropes. Well, every night, Warrior would go full force and nail Andre with stiff clotheslines even though Andre kept telling him to lighten up. One night, Andre got pissed, stuck his fist out and nearly knocked Warrior out. Heenan said after that happened, Warrior basically tiptoed across the ring and tapped Andre with the clothesline.

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Hogan did not do a clean job to Yokozuna by any stretch of the imagination.

True. The Legdrop 1, 2, 3 presence was way stronger in my memory than the Harvey Whippelman (it was him I believe) flash photography moment. My bad. I still remember it as a "cleaner" finish than a lot of Hogan title losses later and even earlier. I mean, even Sting needed a biased enforcer on the outside messing with The Hollywood Hulk to get the belt off him. But no more excuses, my memory tricked me on that one.

During this conversation I was actually thinking how it would have been had Vince tricked Bret into getting into the ring, than having Shawn pull out due to a knee injury. Than would have sent Shamrock out who would have said something like "Easy way or hard way, Bret. You decide." Now that would have been an Oldschool double cross. If even totally unnecessary, according to quite a few of the stories surrounding the whole thing.

Bret might have been willing to loose the title to sb else, someone he respected. But this weren´t the days of the old shooters and hookers anymore. And Bret was probably capable of holding himself quite well, but he wasn´t the guy who got his reigns because he was unbeatable irl. Promoters made you champions. I never got Vince behaviour here, but let´s for just a second assume the belt was on someone like Sid who was there just half a year earlier and he would have said "I can´t job to Shawn"...it would be the first time I knew of where Sid would refuse to do a job, but I don´t think any of us would think it wasn´t unprofessional.

He probably wouldn't have cared about losing to Shamrock. Wasn't Ken one of the guys on Bret's list of people to drop it to? 

Had Shamrock been in that scenario, I bet Hart could've gotten a pretty good match out of him. 

Which now makes me think, outside of Canadian Stampede, did they ever face off 1v1? I can't remember. 

11 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

He probably wouldn't have cared about losing to Shamrock. Wasn't Ken one of the guys on Bret's list of people to drop it to? 

Had Shamrock been in that scenario, I bet Hart could've gotten a pretty good match out of him. 

Which now makes me think, outside of Canadian Stampede, did they ever face off 1v1? I can't remember. 

Bret and Leo Burke were the ones who trained Shamrock when he was going to return to wrestling.