DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Zartan said:

This post shook my nerves and the last one rattled my brain. 

These kind of PPV names drive a man insane. 

Well, after the weird shit about Vince and dry leaves discussed earlier in this thread, a PPV honoring the 13-year-old-marrying Jerry Lee Lewis makes sense. 

• Like 6

Great Balls of Fire seems like a really strange name for a PPV unless the gimmick is a night of inferno matches.

Also, when the show inevitably disappoints, that title is going to lend itself to some really off-color jokes.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Less weird gif. More weird logo

Hmm.  Bad Blood was supposed to by on 7/9.  Guess that's cancelled or moved to early August to break up the 6 week stretch to Summerslam. 

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

EDIT to add: Bret's WWF contract stated he had 'creative control ' over his character. So he absolutely had the right to to refuse to lose one match... especially considering all the matches Michaels had refused to lose (the Euro to Bulldog being the obvious example).

Is it known what the creative control clause said in detail? Aside from that, isn't abuse of creative control clauses what is  (rightfully imo) criticized about Hogan, Nash and co?

I'm not questioning others wrongful refusals to do jobs. I always was a Bret guy and I never liked Shawn. From an emotional pov I totally get Bret going "anyone but him". But I still think refusing to do the honors in Montreal was simply wrong. 

It puts the score 3-1 between Shawn('s faction) and Bret('s faction), I'll give you that.

13 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Just watching that makes me want t go ice my knees.  Ow.

More like your hip. Or if you sympathize more with Barbarian, your shoulder. That is just ridiculous -- can you imagine the conversation between the two? 

Nord: "Hey I'm gonna come off the top on you tonight, that cool?"

Barbarian: "Yeah no problem." 

Yeah... that was probably the conversation, because that's how tough those two motherfuckers are. 

18 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Is it May yet? 

When it is this thread needs to not only be locked but closed from viewing and never brought up again. 

I think the worst of it is done yet.  If we can get through earlier this week then I think this thread's fine.  And it's only a couple more days.

As for "Great balls of fire" it could be worse.  If it wasn't a PG environment there'd be so many bad jokes on TV about it.  As it is it seems like a PPV name ECW would come up with.

24 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hmm.  Bad Blood was supposed to by on 7/9.  Guess that's cancelled or moved to early August to break up the 6 week stretch to Summerslam. 

Maybe they moved Bad Blood to October to do a 20 years of Kane thing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WANT NOW PAL IT'S OUR AMERICA

*loud snort*

NOW GET ME THE WRITER OF THAT SCRIPT WE NEED TO DO SOME REVISIONS

Given Vince's reputation for being horribly out of touch with pop culture, I'm trying to picture who he'd want cast in various roles. 

GODDAMMIT PAL, WE NEED SOMEONE WITH SOME GODDAMN TRAPS IF WE'RE GOING TO DO VINCE MCMAHON JUSTICE ON THE BIG SCREEN. CAN WE GET LOU FERRIGNO?  AND WHAT ABOUT FARRAH FAWCETT AS LINDA? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

WON is saying that Great Balls of Fire is replacing Bad Blood

I don't care what anyone says or how many house show matches he coasted through, the Hitman is the G.O.A.T. and his crotchety old man promos are king-sized.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Either that or Kane is going to come back and hook Shane's balls up to a car battery again.

Or this

Actually Braun vs Brock in a dumpster of fire match wouldn't be terrible. Be fun to see Brock and Braun brawl all over the arena and eventually to the dumpster area out back would be alot of fun. Also you could put Braun over without pinning Brock and Brock being tossed into a dumpster of fire would be a good way to write Brock of television until Wrestlemania season.

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Great Balls of Fire seems like a really strange name for a PPV unless the gimmick is a night of inferno matches.

Also, when the show inevitably disappoints, that title is going to lend itself to some really off-color jokes.

All I'm saying is someone better throw a fucking fireball at a PPV called Great Balls of Fire.  That joke was probably already made but who cares.

• Like 2

Vince probably wanted to do something with Chuck Berry, but when Chuck died he was all "SON OF A BITCH...GET ME SOMEONE STILL ALIVE DAMN IT". Jerry Lee Lewis taking over as the new COO over RAW from Stephanie. He's just gonna hurl whiskey bottles at people and play some piana.

2 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Is it known what the creative control clause said in detail? Aside from that, isn't abuse of creative control clauses what is  (rightfully imo) criticized about Hogan, Nash and co?

I'm not questioning others wrongful refusals to do jobs. I always was a Bret guy and I never liked Shawn. From an emotional pov I totally get Bret going "anyone but him". But I still think refusing to do the honors in Montreal was simply wrong. 

It puts the score 3-1 between Shawn('s faction) and Bret('s faction), I'll give you that.

"Abuse of creative control" is a real stretch.  Bret wasn't refusing to do the job, he just didn't want to do it for Michaels.  And to be fair, if the positions were reversed, Michaels would have absolutely refused to do the job to Bret, and been a much bigger prick about it, too.  

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

"Abuse of creative control" is a real stretch.  Bret wasn't refusing to do the job, he just didn't want to do it for Michaels.  And to be fair, if the positions were reversed, Michaels would have absolutely refused to do the job to Bret, and been a much bigger prick about it, too.  

The way Bret tells it, he went to HBK to clear the air in front of the rest of the locker room and tell him that he (Bret) wasn't going to take any liberties and that he was fine to do the job. HBK apparently told Bret that he wouldn't do the same for him and that's what set Bret off.