DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Seriously though, that's pretty bizarre behavior. If Vince were the type of kid to also kill small animals, I would say that for sure he would have turned out to be some kind of mass murderer. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I could've gone my whole life without reading that.

But you didn't, so might as well embrace the madness!

Since you can't believe any of the weird shit that comes out of Vince's carny mouth, really this film should be structured like The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. 

• Like 3

Have any of you guys seen The Founder with Michael Keaton as Ray Krock, the guy who took McDonald's nationwide? For me that's EXACTLY how you should do a Vince biopic. Start him out as the ernest kid who's just buying his dad's business to keep it going and then slowly he puts everyone around him out of business, comes across as a shark and succeeds in the end. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, caley said:

Mike Enos was amazing on WCWSN around this time when he was just a singles wrestler, and busted out all kinds of crazy power moves on jobbers and just dominated them.  I remember at the time i was tracking Wins/Losses on WWF/WCW TV shows and then making a Top 10 based off of those Wins-Losses (I long ago lost the records but it was fun at the time) and Enos would always win in dominating fashion so I kept moving him up my Top 10 list and had him right near the top and thought "They must have big plans for him" and was waiting for the big Mike Enos moment, then he'd get squashed by some low level NWO guy (Like Brian Adams) and I'd have to move him down off the list.  This happened a few times and I got fooled every time ("This.  This is the Enos' time to shine!").

Just watched this and he pulls some wild shit out. His bumps and immediate selling are really nice, but he doesn't sell long term. Everytime he makes a comeback he looks like he just got in the ring. But still the 180 powerslam off the top and the weird ass fisherman shoulderbreaker thing are fucking aces.

Might go on an Enos binge.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Just watched this and he pulls some wild shit out. His bumps and immediate selling are really nice, but he doesn't sell long term. Everytime he makes a comeback he looks like he just got in the ring. But still the 180 powerslam off the top and the weird ass fisherman shoulderbreaker thing are fucking aces.

Might go on an Enos binge.

Good find.  I'm embarrassed to say that, at the time, I didn't really get Fit Finlay, so this is fun to rewatch now that I love Fit (At the time he was just some random guy who showed up and got pushed ahead of guys I liked like Saturn and Benoit; plus the fact that he looked (pre blonde hair) like the father of one of my brother's friends (to the point that, when we rented WCW/NWO Revenge from the video store, we renamed Fit Finlay with my brother's friend's dad's name and then forgot to change it back when we returned it to the video store, greatly upsetting my mother) made him a guy I just didn't really get, until years later when I ordered one of Phil Schneider's comps and watched Regal-Finlay with new eyes and completely rethought my position).  

If I was a power wrestler on the indies, I'd probably steal those two spots you mentioned as they looked pretty great and no one is really doing either move nowadays.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ace said:

A quote from his Playboy interview in 2001:

"At around the same time there was a girl my age who was, in essence, my cousin. Later in life she actually wound up marrying that asshole Leo Lupton, my stepfather! Boy, this sounds like Tobacco Road. Anyway, I remember the two of us being so curious about each other’s bodies but not knowing what the hell to do. We would go into the woods and get naked together. It felt good. And for some reason I wanted to put crushed leaves into her. Don’t know why, but I remember that."

Ah man, they should have totally had Mickie James do that after squash matches during her first run akin to Dibiase stuffing money in jobbers mouths. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

Have any of you guys seen The Founder with Michael Keaton as Ray Krock, the guy who took McDonald's nationwide? For me that's EXACTLY how you should do a Vince biopic. Start him out as the ernest kid who's just buying his dad's business to keep it going and then slowly he puts everyone around him out of business, comes across as a shark and succeeds in the end. 

And then Linda would have give all of vinces billions to charity, like joan kroc did. Prob not happening. :)

4 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Pay Chris Columbus a shit tonne of money.

Remake Home Alone as an allegory to the early 80s. Vince is Macaulay Culkin, Verne is Daniel Stern and Crockett is Joe Pesci, the old scary homeless guy that turns out to be good is one of the Briscos..

Hijinx ensue. 

When i wrote for Wrestleline, i believe i wrote a citizen kane homage using Vince as CFK. (Of course he did) 

I also enjoyed the random John Nord matches on WCW television in 1995 and 1996. Not as much as Mike Enos matches, but I remember him having some fun squashes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I also enjoyed the random John Nord matches on WCW television in 1995 and 1996. Not as much as Mike Enos matches, but I remember him having some fun squashes.

And his stupid Ole Anderson-esque just-printed-at-the-mall-that-day t-shirts he'd wear to the ring.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I remember his "Damn I'm good, just ask me" shirt with Hollywood sunglasses.......and his Berzerker boots ensemble. It was quite confusing.

The John Nord shirt I remember the most was, "If you don't like me, there's something wrong with you."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

There were all sorts of rules about what you couldn't do so they went over the top and started using cereal as a foreign object. I think that's how the story went.

Like a Mr Fuji-esque Lucky Charms to the eyes? Fantastic.

Even better than just creating a John Hughes rip-off.....I maintain that CM Punk basically ripped off John Bender.

• Like 3