DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I just remembered that Enos and Bloom worked for WCW earlier in their careers under a masked gimmick as The Minnesota Wrecking Crew II, manged by Ole Anderson.  They did this while they were the AWA world champs.  Probably the first and only time a title holder from one national company worked midcard under a hood for another national company.

(Yes I do realize calling 1990 AWA "a national company" is stretching it," but they had about the same TV coverage as ROH or TNA has now so fuuuuck yoooouuuuuu)

• Like 1

A Vince biopic could be fascinating with the right people directing.  I kinda feel like you have to do something to make it appealing to a mass audience.  Either downplay the wrestling and focus on his personal life, XFL, steroid trial, etc.; or make the wrestling content even more garish and cartoonish than it normally is.  Then again, it's hard to make 80's/90's WWE even more outlandish and lurid.

Does Vince have any involvement in this project?  He's possibly got enough clout to at least try to kill any unflattering portrayals.

Eh, even if it's Oscar-worthy, I probably won't see it.  Wife probably won't have an interest, unless Matthew McConaughey is cast as Shane and I have no interest in spending two hours delving into Vince's life.  The interviews and what-not I've seen of him make his real personality seem almost as abhorrent as the Mr. McMahon character.

Here's the other problem I see with this biopic. For Vince to sign-off, it's going to soft serve all of these huge events and paint Vince as this quasi anti-hero who fought the government and won, who fought public opinion and won, who fought his competition and won, and who fought naysayers and won. Will we see some silly shit like Vince, Pat, and Bruce pitching storylines at Vince's pool? Probably. Will we see Vince as the monster we know he can be? Doubtful, or if we do, we'll see more of Vince as the guy the boys like and less of the guy the boys are afraid of.

Vince isn't going to allow himself to look like a monster.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

A Vince biopic could be fascinating with the right people directing.  I kinda feel like you have to do something to make it appealing to a mass audience.  Either downplay the wrestling and focus on his personal life, XFL, steroid trial, etc.; or make the wrestling content even more garish and cartoonish than it normally is.  Then again, it's hard to make 80's/90's WWE even more outlandish and lurid.

Does Vince have any involvement in this project? He's possibly got enough clout to at least try to kill any unflattering portrayals.

Eh, even if it's Oscar-worthy, I probably won't see it.  Wife probably won't have an interest, unless Matthew McConaughey is cast as Shane and I have no interest in spending two hours delving into Vince's life.  The interviews and what-not I've seen of him make his real personality seem almost as abhorrent as the Mr. McMahon character.

Yup to the bold. WWE films has some kind of hand in this. 

Get ready for Vince McMahon, humanitarian that saved wrestling just as all the territories were about to die and turned it in to what everyone knows and loves it as today, Sports Entertainment. 

• Like 1

I think the most interesting period for the biopic is 91-98.  He road a boom period to impossible heights. Made tons and tons of money. Now, the wrestling fad is over. His replacement for Hogan is a basket case and floundering as a draw. His ambition killed the territory system and there is no longer a feeder system for talent.  The business is tarnished with all of the steroid talk.  The feds are after him. He is losing money and the business is going under. His top level stars have left for a deep pocket rival promotion and he is getting behind  C-level players from the boom era and WCW castoffs with no history of being draws. Even when he can turn this chicken shit into chicken salad, WCW is just picking off anyone worth a damn. All of this leads up to the screwjob where he needs to screw over his own champion to ensure his company does not suffer the ultimate humiliation of having his champion show up on someone elses tv. And from that, against all odds, McMahon and the WWF are reborn. Two years later Vince is a billionaire. 

• Like 3

Vince is such a fascinating set of contradictions. The evil bastard that screwed so many people over, but also the guy that flew Percy Pringle first class to New York, comped everything at the hotel, and gave him a job interview just because Rick Rude asked him too and Percy twas struggling deeply (broke, car just repoed, etc)

The guy who crushed the territories with evil underhanded moves (paying Hogan a bonus to not work out his last few dates) but also who so many people seem to have so much respect for.

The movie could potentially be fascinating. Pandemonium is a terrible title though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Vince is such a fascinating set of contradictions. The evil bastard that screwed so many people over, but also the guy that flew Percy Pringle first class to New York, comped everything at the hotel, and gave him a job interview just because Rick Rude asked him too and Percy twas struggling deeply (broke, car just repoed, etc)

The guy who crushed the territories with evil underhanded moves (paying Hogan a bonus to not work out his last few dates) but also who so many people seem to have so much respect for.

The movie could potentially be fascinating. Pandemonium is a terrible title though.

Good name for indy lucha guys though?

3lgzZx.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Are we certain those are real luchadores?  That's some sad white boy dancing right there.  I kinda think one of those guys is Vin Gerard.

Maybe one is also Lana. 

• Like 7

I'm interested to see what the source material on the Vince biopic is. Usually these things are based on a book or hell even an article or something. There's nothing to indicate the people that wrote this script and who want to make this movie did any of that. That means the WWE will have a lot of control over the source material especially if they have a huge hand in producing this. I can't imagine there will be one negative thing about Vince in this movie.

It's gonna be like that John Gotti movie with John Travolta that's coming out that John Jr Gotti is making. You better believe his dad is gonna look good in it.

37 minutes ago, Roman said:

This continues to be amazing:

I'm not sure if Brain was 

1. Trying to get Tony to crack up

2. Trying to piss Tony off

3. Having fun for his own amusement

4. Just playing his character

5. All of the above

It's probably the last one. 

Also, that dancing is perfectly acceptable from rudos. Christ, it's almost required. 

EDIT: #6 would be "Completely sauced" but I think that goes without saying

• Like 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

I'm not sure if Brain was 

1. Trying to get Tony to crack up

2. Trying to piss Tony off

3. Having fun for his own amusement

4. Just playing his character

5. All of the above

It's probably the last one. 

Also, that dancing is perfectly acceptable from rudos. Christ, it's almost required. 

6. Legitimately thinks Duggan is a fucking moron and was laughing for real.

I have no idea, but it's great any which way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Are we certain those are real luchadores?  That's some sad white boy dancing right there.  I kinda think one of those guys is Vin Gerard.

Look, I'll be totally honest. When I first started to look, I thought it was a Panda gimmick for some reason. Maybe I was thinking of this?

GZJ1yy.gif

It's possible. Duggan in interviews seems like a sweet guy but no great marks upstairs and Brain is, well, the Brain -- the best comedian in professional wrestling. I can see him having a mocking attitude to most if not all in the locker room for his own smarts alone, which was probably kept completely to himself

A quote from his Playboy interview in 2001:

"At around the same time there was a girl my age who was, in essence, my cousin. Later in life she actually wound up marrying that asshole Leo Lupton, my stepfather! Boy, this sounds like Tobacco Road. Anyway, I remember the two of us being so curious about each other’s bodies but not knowing what the hell to do. We would go into the woods and get naked together. It felt good. And for some reason I wanted to put crushed leaves into her. Don’t know why, but I remember that."