DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Ace said:

Enlighten us with your expertise. Who, exactly, did he take a spot away from? Who didn't get booked by UFC because he fought one fight on one show?

Any available contracted fighter that wasn't on the show. I was actually going to let this go, since it looked like I caused Elastipenis to blow a gasket. Then you sycophants had to drag me back in. 

7 hours ago, alstein said:

Punk put in work, never disrespected the UFC, and made money for the UFC.  

His presence disrespected UFC. He was the equivalent of Maria Menounos working a women's match at Mania.  

7 hours ago, alstein said:

8 minutes ago, Ace said:

Meh, I should've known not to engage in the first place.

Here is how this started. I found a news story about Punk doing an MTV Challenge show and most of us were having fun taking the piss out of him, because he is a pompous sanctimonious ass. 

Then a small number get angry because Punk appeals to the petulant self absorbed child within. So you proceed to do gold medal mental gymnastics to defend Punk as not being a hypocrite. 

Typically, I would not fault a guy for pursuing his interests or even a great financial opportunity. When that person is perhaps the most self-righteous person to ever lace up wrestling boots, criticism is fair game. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Victator said:

Here is how this started. I found a news story about Punk doing an MTV Challenge show and most of us were having fun taking the piss out of him, because he is a pompous sanctimonious ass. 

Then a small number get angry because Punk appeals to the petulant self absorbed child within. So you proceed to do gold medal mental gymnastics to defend Punk as not being a hypocrite. 

You forgot to mention the part where you use the debate as an excuse to insult anyone who disagrees with you... which seems like something Punk would do, honestly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

You forgot to mention the part where you use the debate as an excuse to insult anyone who disagrees with you... which seems like something Punk would do, honestly.

I never told a teenager to kill himself, so I'm still ahead of Punk in that regard. 

Punk likely had a lot to do with UFC203 getting 425-475K buys. Do any of us normies give a flying fuck about Miocic, Overeem, Werdum or Browne? No, people bought that PPV because of the freakshow/curiosity aspect of a recent ex-WWE star making his debut. You slot anyone else into that match with Mickey Gall, and it gets knocked down to a Fight Pass bout and something else replaces it on the PPV card, and the buyrate comes back resembling UFC201 most likely.

But, this is Vic we're talking about, so explaining things in a logical way won't work. UFC is a business and they're about chasin' that paper? No way, "he's takin' a SPOT, MAN!" :rolleyes: From who, Randy fuckin' Brown?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

Punk likely had a lot to do with UFC203 getting 425-475K buys. Do any of us normies give a flying fuck about Miocic, Overeem, Werdum or Browne? No, people bought that PPV because of the freakshow/curiosity aspect of a recent ex-WWE star making his debut. You slot anyone else into that match with Mickey Gall, and it gets knocked down to a Fight Pass bout and something else replaces it on the PPV card, and the buyrate comes back resembling UFC201 most likely.

But, this is Vic we're talking about, so explaining things in a logical way won't work. UFC is a business and they're about chasin' that paper? No way, "he's takin' a SPOT, MAN!" :rolleyes: From who, Randy fuckin' Brown?

Hey genius, I said that a couple of pages ago. Can you read?

15 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Scott Casey took that spot from Buddy Mareno.

Weirdly enough, I don't see Buddy Mareno in the Houston records until 84 (and yes, I checked for Atlas too), after the transition had already been made from Southwest to Mid-South in Houston. Boesch used Southwest talent in the years prior but it wasn't always a 100% overlap with what was happening in San Antonio. We do have a Black Gordman vs Mareno/Atlas match which is probably most notable for Gordman hitting a DDT (which he does all the way back into black and white footage with Santo) and a really good Lothario/Mareno vs Gordman/Goliath match which I kind of want to rewatch now. 

• Like 1

Tiger's actually been really good in the footage we've seen so far. He's a great face-in-peril, struggling, trying to fight out of holds, trying to make it to the corner. Sometimes he can move a bit askew, almost akin to the way Greg Gagne or someone did, and that distracts a little, and yes, they ran the hard head gimmick a little too far, but for a turn of the 80s high spot worker who could also sell and brawl pretty well, he's a guy that's been quite underlooked. As a Houston mainstay, I sort of see him as a poor man's Dundee without the heel runs (or maybe a 1993 Danny Davis). He even got a pretty good match out of 80s Killer Brooks. And he could do comedy too.

We have that match in much better VQ with superior Boesch commentary, but it's really tremendous. 

• Like 1

And then for those people not paying attention, the biggest surprise out of the Houston footage has been Lothario. The only person I can honestly liken him to is Lawler. He was pretty old by 1980, but he sort of held court in the middle of the ring, selling, drawing sympathy, teasing and teasing the comeback, and when it came time for it, unloading to the crowd's elation with the best punches you'd ever see. They uploaded a match the other night with Pak Song, and Pak Song is like the world's shortest El Gigante. You can hardly believe that THIS GUY is the guy who Dusty Rhodes had his big Face  turn in Florida on. And Lothario sells all the crummy chops and throat thrusts and whatever, and when it comes time, he unloads, dropping knees, punching the hell out of Song's head and it's just the best thing, the very best thing. There's a guy in the crowd heckling too, which makes it even better. It's the sort of match that's never going to get a ton of snowflakes, because it's 15 minutes, two out of three falls, and Song is a literal broomstick, down to his physique, but what Lothario brought to the table in making his opponent seem vaguely credible, in portraying Texas-loved fury, and in putting over the meaning of the match, was just tremendous. And yeah, he can do so much more when he has a worthwhile opponent. 

• Like 2