DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, zev said:

Round 1 in the Grumpy Ole Division:

Bret Hart is too full of himself (I'll doubt El Dandy if I darn well please)

vs

Vince Russo killed Nitro (you mean it wasn't David Arquette?)

~~~

Bayley's run is being mishandled

vs.

WrestleMania 3 attendance record

~~~

Vince Mcmahon is an egomaniac that has not seen any movies released this decade (not even WWE films)

vs.

Jim Cornette's rants about modern wrestling

~~~

Brock Lesnar's bad for business all in all (suplex city, of course)

vs.

Inside a steel Davey Richards (complete with superplex spot)

I'm 100% sure you left out Daniel Bryan/WM 30. 

Look, I don't know anything about UFC, but Punk writing that Drax book is absolutely comparable to the "spot-taking" he used to complain about -- if not worse. That's the level of book Marvel often uses to try out new talent, guys who have been slaving for years, making next-to no money, trying to improve their craft and get noticed. Punk rolled up with a name, no experience and no real reason to think he'd be any good or get any better.

And for no benefit to Marvel. The book wouldn't have sold any worse with a different writer or if Bunn had just done it himself, not shared the paycheck (presumably) and not wasted his time holding the newbie's hand.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I'm 100% sure you left out Daniel Bryan/WM 30. 

There's more than 1 Division in the tourney. We've still got the Stylin' Ric, Brain Bustin' Arn and Tully, and Not Paul Roma brackets to consider.

24 minutes ago, Dog said:

Look, I don't know anything about UFC, but Punk writing that Drax book is absolutely comparable to the "spot-taking" he used to complain about -- if not worse. That's the level of book Marvel often uses to try out new talent, guys who have been slaving for years, making next-to no money, trying to improve their craft and get noticed. Punk rolled up with a name, no experience and no real reason to think he'd be any good or get any better.

And for no benefit to Marvel. The book wouldn't have sold any worse with a different writer or if Bunn had just done it himself, not shared the paycheck (presumably) and not wasted his time holding the newbie's hand.

90% of Marvel's output the past couple of years is shit that nobody wants.  Their publishing line is littered with titles that are DOA.  There are plenty of sure-to-fail books to go around that they can give to a newbie writer.  Punk wasn't taking away anyone else's opportunity.  Besides, have you ever read a Cullen Bunn comic?  His work is dull as shit.  Punk's sense of humor is the only thing that made Drax readable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I'm just gonna point out that when Punk started writing Drax he had more comics writing experience than RL Stine when Stine started writing Man-Thing this year, and he didn't immediately torpedo everything that made the character interesting (unlike Stine.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Will the Vince McMahon bio pic have anything more salacious than his WWE approved biography DVD that has Shane and Steph talking about how Vince wanted to run an incest angle between the Shane/Steph?

A Vince bio pic would be one step below a snuff film.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

My biggest fear in life is that the biggest mark I'll ever leave is the 8 or so wrestling fans who refrence the Steel Davey Richards.

Don't worry, you'll be far more remembered for cementing Cesaro's March Madness victory (or costing Bryan, in the eyes of those with bad opinions).

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

At the risk of this awesome video already been up on here.  But so good it deserves to be here many times.

I'm sharing this again because fuck the world

"I LOVE AMERICA! I LOVE FOOTBALL! I'M THE AMERICAN DRAGON!"

"I HATE FOOTBALL! I HATE SHAWN MICHAELS! I HATE TEXAS!" 

*boxes goalpost*

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

At the risk of this awesome video already been up on here.  But so good it deserves to be here many times.

I'm sharing this again because fuck the world

"I LOVE AMERICA! I LOVE FOOTBALL! I'M THE AMERICAN DRAGON!"

"I HATE FOOTBALL! I HATE SHAWN MICHAELS! I HATE TEXAS!" 

*boxes goalpost*

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dewar said:

How is Punk taking a spot on a UFC card any different than the part-timers he complained about taking spots at WrestleMania?

Punk put in work, never disrespected the UFC, and made money for the UFC.   Was Andy Kauffman taking a spot from say, one of the random masked jobbers they used as enhancement talent in Memphis?

As for the Marvel book, if you've seen the decisions Marvel is making with their comic books- they've gone about 120% Russo these past few months.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Victator said:

Sure he did. 

Enlighten us with your expertise. Who, exactly, did he take a spot away from? Who didn't get booked by UFC because he fought one fight on one show?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ace said:

Enlighten us with your expertise. Who, exactly, did he take a spot away from? Who didn't get booked by UFC because he fought one fight on one show?

I asked this question also. I'm still waiting for anything resembling a reasonable answer.