DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Yeah, but how are his punches?

Doesn't matter. You can accidentally connect one on Balor and still get a title shot the next night.

Legit connect with a couple, and some elbows to go with them? Main Event Mania the next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Didn't Punk used to make fun of The Miz for being on MTV?

His latest piece of revisionism involves stating that WWE was never his end goal and he just always wanted to make a living wrestling in Japan but he 'had to try and conquer WWE'. In ring I love the guy but I've got little to no respect for the delusional fucker

13 hours ago, nate said:

Punk used to make fun of people for not being CM Punk.

... til he got knocked the fuck out.

13 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Watch this turn into a CM Punk vs The World Show on MTV where Punk challenges amateur MMA Fighters from all over the world or something. So he can play MMA Fighter without getting knocked out again.

Ya'll didn't actually watch his fight, did you?

• Like 4

Don't confuse me with facts!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I remember the outcome of the fight less than the press conference afterward, where he looked like a Sloth from "Goonies" cosplayer.  "Punk love Chunk!"

Although I do find more amusement in the phrase, "...tapped the fuck out ..."  I will amend this error going forward 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

His latest piece of revisionism involves stating that WWE was never his end goal and he just always wanted to make a living wrestling in Japan 

Bet he's so jealous of AJ and Omega. "Grrrrr... coulda been doing that Bullet Club crap... hell, Gallows was even in my stable..."

Wait, we're hating on Punk now?  This seems a bit sudden.

And I'm curious where CreativeControl saw that he stated this.  It seems at this point he's focused on AJ, MMA, hockey and baseball.  Don't recall him saying much anything about wrestling.

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And I'm curious where CreativeControl saw that he stated this.  It seems at this point he's focused on AJ, MMA, hockey and baseball.  Don't recall him saying much anything about wrestling.

He did an interview with ABC 7 in Chicago saying WWF was never his end goal. He watched WWF as a kid, but he was more about AJPW and NJPW while growing up and coming up through the indies. The main reason would be to go over to Japan and do his thing there and then be able to come home and not be as recognized.

• Like 1

Also, I can't fucking wait for the naysayers to come out and say how much Punk wanted to be in the WM main event and that's why he left, as if someone's dreams or goals can never, ever change from when they're growing up to when they're an adult.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He did an interview with ABC 7 in Chicago saying WWF was never his end goal. He watched WWF as a kid, but he was more about AJPW and NJPW while growing up and coming up through the indies. The main reason would be to go over to Japan and do his thing there and then be able to come home and not be as recognized.

Okay, i wasn't aware of that.  Thanks.

Still don't see the need to call him things like "delusional fucker" and all that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I just think it's incredibly lame that he's going to be on an MTV show. For somebody that looks to have checked most all of the boxes in his life professionally, who woulda thought that would be one of them? Especially someone as profoundly antisocial as him, who apparently has no need for the cash...

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just think it's incredibly lame that he's going to be on an MTV show. For somebody that looks to have checked most all of the boxes in his life professionally, who woulda thought that would be one of them? Especially someone as profoundly antisocial as him, who apparently has no need for the cash...

I'll admit to being a Punk apologist but I see your and Hagan's points.  It is a strange choice for him but I can only hope that he doesn't shit the bed.

It's for a charity for crying out loud. What is so hard to understand about that? So for 6 weeks he basically gets to play a game where proceeds go to a charity. And it's something for him to do.

Also, what's this shit about being profoundly anti-social? He's constantly in public doing public things, like attending sporting events and going to the store. He's explained multiple times that he would like it if people wouldn't act like total dipshits while he's out in public and would at least try to be respectful. When Dave Chappelle explained that part of the reason he disappeared from stand-up and TV was that people couldn't help themselves from being assholes, going up to him in public when he's with his family yelling "CHARLIE MURPHY!" and "I'M WAYNE BRADY BITCH," no one chided him for it. Why would Punk not deserve the same understanding?

• Like 9

Maybe because he knows how cache and earning potential is directly linked to his public perception? Punk isn't a stupid guy, he knows UFC and MTV are only hiring because of his WWE name value, and why shouldn't he get paid? I know we're all sad that he's not wrestling any more, but I have no problem with Punk doing MMA or writing comics or being an MTV VJ (does MTV still have VJs? I'm old) Just because he quit one company because he felt he was treated poorly doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to do other work for other companies. I'm rooting for Punk in this case.

• Like 7

This is annoying. It's another damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. He's shit on and damned for trying to be a professional fighter and he's damned if he does nothing at all. He's damned for deciding to take part in a tv show and he's damned because he doesn't want to talk about wrestling.

Sometimes, it seems like the simple answer for some, not necessarily anyone on here, would be for the guy to not exist at all and for him to never exist.

But then I'm sure people would find a way to bitch about that too.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Maybe because he knows how cache and earning potential is directly linked to his public perception? Punk isn't a stupid guy, he knows UFC and MTV are only hiring because of his WWE name value, and why shouldn't he get paid? I know we're all sad that he's not wrestling any more, but I have no problem with Punk doing MMA or writing comics or being an MTV VJ (does MTV still have VJs? I'm old) Just because he quit one company because he felt he was treated poorly doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to do other work for other companies. I'm rooting for Punk in this case.

Thank you. Exactly this.

• Like 1