DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It's on the Network, last I checked, but they have the Gangstas debut when Jack says "OJ Simpson - good job. That's two less we gotta worry about."

Gotta assume the quality monitor was dozing off when signing off on that being uploaded. 

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

New Jack is a fucking nut. As a black man, there's no way in hell I would've cut those types of promos in that territory for what I'm sure weren't great paydays.

Its remarkable how this stuff works. If I read a description of it I would say "that is stupid." But New Jack does these promos and it feels natural. 

I read originally it was suppose to be Koko B Ware and Tony Atlas and they declined, But it would not have worked because you would know it is bullshit because its Koko, who is really good (certainly better in ring than either Gangsta), but everyone knows him. 

With New Jack and Mustafa it has a very uncomfortable sense of danger. Because New Jack is unknown aside from a brief USWA run two years earlier and Mustafa did a few WCW jobs. Jack plays a perfect balance of a guy with a good point and a real villain. I actually think New Jack could have turned face eventually. Some fans were cheering when they beat up Cornette. 

I really can't do it justice because describing it and it sounds terrible. But I would recommend everyone check out the TV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

It's on the Network, last I checked, but they have the Gangstas debut when Jack says "OJ Simpson - good job. That's two less we gotta worry about."

Gotta assume the quality monitor was dozing off when signing off on that being uploaded. 

It should all be on youtube.

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So a Dumpster match between Braun and Kalisto has been announced for RAW

I want to see the cliched "surprise return from injury" of Roman Reigns, except he inadvertently spears Kalisto and himself into the dumpster when Braun moves out of the way. Then Braun can roll the dumpster off the stage, then pushes the dumpster over, then hits it with an ambulance, then pushes the ambulance over onto the overturned dumpster.

• Like 6

Funny thing about New Jack is that it's him and Sandman who are neck and neck for second biggest babyface in ECW history. For the record I was a huge New Jack mark back in the day.

14 hours ago, Victator said:

Its remarkable how this stuff works. If I read a description of it I would say "that is stupid." But New Jack does these promos and it feels natural. 

I read originally it was suppose to be Koko B Ware and Tony Atlas and they declined, But it would not have worked because you would know it is bullshit because its Koko, who is really good (certainly better in ring than either Gangsta), but everyone knows him. 

With New Jack and Mustafa it has a very uncomfortable sense of danger. Because New Jack is unknown aside from a brief USWA run two years earlier and Mustafa did a few WCW jobs. Jack plays a perfect balance of a guy with a good point and a real villain. I actually think New Jack could have turned face eventually. Some fans were cheering when they beat up Cornette. 

I really can't do it justice because describing it and it sounds terrible. But I would recommend everyone check out the TV. 

I agree. The reason it worked is b/c you actually believe that New Jack was a dangerous motherfucker. I was kinda thinking that it would be dangerous for him to cut those promos in the South but then I thought, "who would actually try that fucking guy?" I could see people getting worked up over his comments and then once they got close to doing it, thinking better of it once they saw him outside of the ring b/c New Jack isn't really playing a character.

• Like 2

In the fan's defense, this was the 90s, not the 70s. Sure they got hot and booed them but playing along is not the same as actually believing it and wanting to attack them in real life. Sure there might have been one or two people that took it too seriously in the crowd but generally speaking, wrestling fans have been "smartened up" for awhile. Even in the South. I'm from the South and when I was 8 (in 1990) I was well aware it wasn't real ;)

Also, New Jack was definitely playing a character, but I think it was the Austin-type deal of him really playing up/exaggerating how he is in real life. In non-wrestler interviews/court appearances he is actually not as crazy as he is in wrestling, he just found out what worked for him early and was really consistent with it over the next 20 years. I mean in his entire career he got into zero incidences with fans during or after matches as far as I am aware, his craziness was when he was 'on', not when he ran into white fans at the wrestling hotel.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

In the fan's defense, this was the 90s, not the 70s. Sure they got hot and booed them but playing along is not the same as actually believing it and wanting to attack them in real life. Sure there might have been one or two people that took it too seriously in the crowd but generally speaking, wrestling fans have been "smartened up" for awhile. Even in the South. I'm from the South and when I was 8 (in 1990) I was well aware it wasn't real ;)

Also, New Jack was definitely playing a character, but I think it was the Austin-type deal of him really playing up/exaggerating how he is in real life. In non-wrestler interviews/court appearances he is actually not as crazy as he is in wrestling, he just found out what worked for him early and was really consistent with it over the next 20 years. I mean in his entire career he got into zero incidences with fans during or after matches as far as I am aware, his craziness was when he was 'on', not when he ran into white fans at the wrestling hotel.

True. I'm from the South as well. Still though, even though quite a few fans are smartened up, he was saying a lot of racially charged stuff in a very heated climate and there were still a lot of fans in that area who weren't smartened up. I don't know if you've ever read Y2J's first book but if you haven't, read the chapter entitled Strange Kentucky People and you'll see there were still nutjobs out there who took wrestling seriously.

I've also met New Jack and he was super nice to me and my friend who is white. He was hanging out next to the bleachers in the War Memorial and watching the rest of the card after his match. He took pics with us, drank a beer and shot the shit with us for a few minutes before he had to go to the back.

Someone transcribed the Strange Kentucky People story from Jericho's book. Enjoy

"I was hanging around between matches at another of our regular towns, Paintsville, Kentucky, when a girl came up to me and gave me a videotape. She stared at the ground while she stuttered and spit out "Chris Jericho, I love you. I made a tape of your matches just for you. It's got all your matches that you ever had in SMW." Then she turned tail and split. I was honoured that she'd put them all on one tape as a present but when I watched the tape, it didn't contain any matches. What it did contain however, was much more entertaining.

The tape featured the girl and her hillbilly mountain family performing for me...and what a show it was. It began with her looking into the camera like a deer in headlights. She resembled Chris Farely dressed as Meatloaf circa 1977 and was wearing a shirt with a rebel flag on it that said "You wear your colors, I'll wear mine." She began her dissertation and said, " I made this tape for you, Chris Jericho (She always called me by my full name). We love you Chris Jericho. You're my favourite rassler, Chris Jericho, and I really love you Chris Jericho." She wiped the snot out of her nose.

Then she became Annie Wilkes from Misery and started speaking gibbersish like, "Well look. Here's a white googleberry. Fleezin Fibble Foo!" She began dancing as the rest of her family came into the frame like Oompa Loompas. They were all smacking each other's butts and doing the most bizarre version of the Electric Slide, while chanting in Unison, "Electric Slide, Electric Slide, Electric Slide" Like some kind of disco cult. Then a kid who I'm guessing was her brother or husband-or both- explained how much he like watching rasslin', then farted twice. Then his mother or wife-or both-who literally had NO teeth, patted him on the butt and commented on his fragrance. There was a bed in the middle of the living room and on the wall behind it were two pictures : One of Jesus and one of Ricky and Robert. Both photos were at the exact same level, which I'm sure was a huge honour for the Savior.

Farleyloaf wandered back in a gave a shout-out to Lance. "I like you too, Lance! Here's a wheelbarra", and then she started to push around a child's toy wheelbarrow while performing a massive booty shake. The camera panned to her left, only to find the fartster walking like a crab for no apparent reason. Then the camera panned into the yard where there was a battalion of rusted old vehicles, each housing a sad--eyed dog. In the background trying his hardest to stay out of camera range but failing miserabley was an old American Gothic-looking farmer who I'm assuming was responsible for the whole mess. T The camera spun back around, passing the Amazing Crab Boy tm and settling on a lady with a worse Lloyd Christmas Dumb and Dumber haircut than Jim Carrey. She stayed in the shot long enough to say, "I love the Thrillseekers. I want to have two kids called Chris and Lance and have a dog called Storm" It was much creepier than it sounds, beleive me.

These people were either the greates actors of our generation or complete lunatics and I don't think they were thespians. Nor do I think they knew what thespian means. I still don't know why she gave me the tape. Did she think I'd watch it and become so enamored of her family that I'd come over for farts and crabwalks? If I wanted to impress Jessica Simpson, I sure as hell wouldn't give her a tape of me picking my nose and doing the Electric Slide. But then again maybe it's just crazy enough to work.....

Somehow the video got around and became a cult classic on the tape trading circuit under the name "Strange Kentucky People" Look for it wherever fine hillbilly videos are sold, and if you act now, you get a free Rock n' Roll Express/Son of God portrait package! I was also semiresponsible for another tape-trading classic known as "Jim Cornette vs. The Drive Thru."

• Like 3