DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Turning him into one of the most over workers on the roster? Yeah, what a fate Braun Strowman has in store for him! Oh noes.

In what world is Dean Ambrose one of the most over workers on the roster?

15 hours ago, Casey said:

I guess my ears are deceiving me every time his music hits. Darn, I must be gettin' old.

If you are going to use sarcasm use it as a scalpel, not a hammer.

Dean is the most over of the Shield guys, but the Brock feud had nothing to do with it, It was Brock at his very worst sleepwalking thru a bunch of suplexes crap. Dean was over before it and managed to stay over after it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

If you are going to use sarcasm use it as a scaple, not a hammer.

Dean is the most over of the Shield guys, but the Brock feud had nothing to do with it, It was Brock at his very worst sleepwalking thru a bunch of suplexes crap. Dean was over before it and managed to stay over after it. 

Yeah, so Burgandy's example of Brock doing Dean no favors during their WrestleMania match last year as what the future holds in store for Braun Strowman doesn't really make any fuckin' sense (and wasn't even relevant to what I was posting about at the time either).

Dean was over before and after the Brock match - Braun is over and will be over after the Brock match. And people claiming that Dean isn't one of the most over guys in all of WWE must be deaf, dumb or blind or maybe all three because he clearly is, especially in relation to the other Shield members like you mentioned.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:54 PM, joseph2112 said:

Oh Boy. Somebody better check the merch sales. 

I don't want to get too out of hand with this but this type of shit isn't supposed to happen at house shows. It's usually a very casual audience. This really isn't looking great for Roman as top guy

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Must've had the crowd sound down at Mania then. I don't remember his pop being big or the crowd being into his match

You're right, I don't remember many people cheering for Roman at WM either. I'm not sure where you're going with this...   I'm not trying to make a case one way or another, I'm just pointing out that it's not a great sign for your top guy to get shit on at house shows. 

Brock didn't do him any favors, he slept thru the match and collected his pay check. Now one might be quick to blame Dean, but this was the same period Brock had a bad match with Luke Harper. 

I was really dreading the Goldberg match based more on Brock than Goldberg, so I was surprised when it turned out to be good. 

Last house show I went to in 2014 was half empty when Reigns was headlining. For the push Reigns is getting, he is not over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dean seems a lot less over than he was six or eight months ago, to my ears.

He's not coming out to crickets, but he's not blowing the roof off places either.

I agree, but a fresh feud would probably change that. To be honest though, the only fresh opponent on RAW for him is Samoa Joe and I'm not sure if I want to see that. I see Titus matches in his near future, but I suspect we will see the heel turn just because I can't see who else he'd feud with.

I went to a house show last August when Ambrose had the title and I'd say he got the loudest pop of the show-- equalled only by AJ, who was also in the match. He's definitely cooled off a lot, but I wonder how much of that is the fact that they've put the IC on him for the 37th time, signalling to the audience that he won't be back at the tip top of the card for at least a while. Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy, if you weeel

• Like 1

Ambrose's issue? A death by 1000 cuts.  He goes into the Rollins feud in Summer 2014 red hot, only to douse Kane and Orton with hot dog condiments. A weird encounter with a Rollins blow-up doll. Taken off TV for a month to do a WWE movie.  Comes back for HIAC against Rollins, but loses due to Bray's hologram smoke show. Gets jobbed out to an exploding TV. There was another chance to get Ambrose over Rollins at MITB 2015, but loses by a fingertip. Gets attached to the Reigns/Wyatt feud because Creative wasn't writing for him after that.  Eventually put the IC strap on him, which does lead to some good matches with Owens.

The Asylum match against Jericho was an abomination, but they get the WHC belt on Ambrose last summer. Things look up a bit. Then he has that disaster of an interview with Austin.  That was the final nail for Ambrose being a totally top shelf guy.  Whether the interview's quality was on him or not, Ambrose took the fall. That was followed with a lackluster mini-feud with Ziggler, and then the push to get the belt on Styles ASAP was on.

It doesn't help that for being the Lunatic Fringe, Ambrose isn't a lunatic.  What's so crazy about him?  He's goofy at times, but that's not the same as being borderline crazy.

Dean is still cheered, but nowhere near where he was.  But it's not one or two things that hurt him.  It's a culmination.  It's almost Ziggler-like.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah, so Burgundy's example of Brock doing Dean no favors during their WrestleMania match last year as what the future holds in store for Braun Strowman doesn't really make any fuckin' sense (and wasn't even relevant to what I was posting about at the time either).

That post was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek, thought me putting it in Jeopardy! form made that obvious. But I see I got your Paas-colored Underoos in a bunch. Go bite the ears off a chocolate bunny. Or a real bunny. Do you.

A Lesnar-Strowman match has loads of potential.  But it depends on what mood Lesnar is in.  If he's willing to actually work with Braun, it should be fine.  If not, it may get ugly, like the Ambrose WM match did. Which was the overall point I was making.

Strowman is doing well, but they have to be careful. We all know WWE can build a monster, but have a hard time sustaining said monster after his/her first loss. In the past few weeks Braun has:

1. Lost to Reigns clean
  2. Backed away from Taker
  3. Been choked-slammed by Taker with no chance of comeuppance
  4. Jobbed out in the Andre (they tried to offset it by having all remaining contenders eliminate him, but still)
  5. Had his man card pulled by Lesnar and backed away with the crowd calling him a pussy for it

They got a lot of heat back on him with the Reigns beatdown, but where does that lead? Let's say he beats Reigns at Payback.  It won't be a clean win, most likely. Which means he still would have a clean loss to Roman he hasn't taken care of. What if he loses to Reigns again?  It's clear Braun will get Brock soon, and I don't see a current scenario where he wins that.

One course to take would be to have an all-out back-alley brawl with Strowman/Reigns where they nearly kill each other. As RAW GM, Angle makes the choice that they can't be on the same roster anymore, and decides to ship Roman to SDL for Cena or Styles. That separates Brock/Roman, allows Braun to work with Brock freely, and gives Reigns some new opponents. Also, it kicks a Shield reunion down the road. There's plenty of time to get him back on RAW if they want for a WM 34 showdown with Lesnar. Or do a cross-brand, winner take all match should Reigns be WWE champion at that time.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Then he has that disaster of an interview with Austin.  That was the final nail for Ambrose being a totally top shelf guy.  Whether the interview's quality was on him or not, Ambrose took the fall.

I don't recall this, what is the story?

5 minutes ago, caley said:

I don't recall this, what is the story?

Austin had Ambrose on his podcast, which aired on the Network.  Austin tried to get Ambrose to talk about his family and anyone who knows even a little about the guy knows Dean doesn't open up about them much.  Austin then more or less berated Ambrose into taking more ownership of his character with Dean sort of looking at him confused without a response. 

I don't blame Ambrose in that he shouldn't be pushed to talk about his rough childhood if he rather not and Austin took too serious a tone with the interview. But at the same time, Ambrose's behavior came across to  some as someone who wasn't ready to be a top guy.

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

That post was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek, thought me putting it in Jeopardy! form made that obvious. But I see I got your Paas-colored Underoos in a bunch. Go bite the ears off a chocolate bunny. Or a real bunny. Do you.

A Lesnar-Strowman match has loads of potential.  But it depends on what mood Lesnar is in.  If he's willing to actually work with Braun, it should be fine.  If not, it may get ugly, like the Ambrose WM match did. Which was the overall point I was making.

Strowman is doing well, but they have to be careful. We all know WWE can build a monster, but have a hard time sustaining said monster after his/her first loss. In the past few weeks Braun has:

1. Lost to Reigns clean
  2. Backed away from Taker
  3. Been choked-slammed by Taker with no chance of comeuppance
  4. Jobbed out in the Andre (they tried to offset it by having all remaining contenders eliminate him, but still)
  5. Had his man card pulled by Lesnar and backed away with the crowd calling him a pussy for it

They got a lot of heat back on him with the Reigns beatdown, but where does that lead? Let's say he beats Reigns at Payback.  It won't be a clean win, most likely. Which means he still would have a clean loss to Roman he hasn't taken care of. What if he loses to Reigns again?  It's clear Braun will get Brock soon, and I don't see a current scenario where he wins that.

One course to take would be to have an all-out back-alley brawl with Strowman/Reigns where they nearly kill each other. As RAW GM, Angle makes the choice that they can't be on the same roster anymore, and decides to ship Roman to SDL for Cena or Styles. That separates Brock/Roman, allows Braun to work with Brock freely, and gives Reigns some new opponents. Also, it kicks a Shield reunion down the road. There's plenty of time to get him back on RAW if they want for a WM 34 showdown with Lesnar. Or do a cross-brand, winner take all match should Reigns be WWE champion at that time.

I like how you turned the post I made about Booker T being the absolute drizzling shits on commentary into something about a Lesnar/Strowman match, simply because I used a .gif of Lesnar. I wasn't even talking about that potential match, nor was I talking about Lesnar or Strowman. I was using said gif to express my frustration that they're putting someone I loathe on commentary for 6 weeks.

I don't really care about the Lesnar/Strowman match. It's whatever to me.

Also, you can go eat a bunny. Or a chocolate statue of Roman Reigns. Do you.