DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

If Big E doesn't win either world title within 18-24 months, they done fucked up. I still worry about him being able to tell a dramatic 20+ minute match on his own, but if you put him on a loop with AJ or another top notch in-ring guy, he'll come along. Other than that, he has the look, the charisma, the promos, and the signature offense spots to wow fans.

A 20 minute main event with aj, and the promos leading up to it would be super fun. 

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So this is a confirmation hearing of an unqualified donor who bought the position.  Nice of this Tea Party shithead to ask joke questions while Rome burns.  Your tax dollars at work.

Right?  What a stupid question.  I mean, she's under oath; we could have finally found out how big Batista's dick is.

• Like 9

The talk of dangerous moves and AJ's injury history reminds me of something I've been pondering. How many concussions do you think the average wrestler suffers? Like, by the time an indie guy gets signed by WWE, how many concussions does a guy ALREADY have, and how many more can he expect? More or less than football players? Any insight from the workers here?

Not to get all Nowinski, but concussions aren't trivial, and sometimes it seems weird to me that they're such a routine part of the business.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dog said:

The talk of dangerous moves and AJ's injury history reminds me of something I've been pondering. How many concussions do you think the average wrestler suffers? Like, by the time an indie guy gets signed by WWE, how many concussions does a guy ALREADY have, and how many more can he expect? More or less than football players? Any insight from the workers here?

Not to get all Nowinski, but concussions aren't trivial, and sometimes it seems weird to me that they're such a routine part of the business.

One thing I just wanna add: it drives me absolutely nuts when people get all concerned about what Daniel Bryan's life would be like if he decides to wrestle elsewhere when his deal is up. I mean, do you think Ziggler would pass that screening? The Hardys? I have no idea how the Dudleys and Dreamer were OKed a few years ago. To hear AJ Lee had 7 of them makes me wonder about someone like Flair or Terry Funk or basically anyone with a majorly long career. Undertaker even. I understand the safety issues but I also don't know that it's as black and white as many make it out to be.

Knowing what we know now, in that blows to the body are as jarring to the brain as blows to the head, I wouldn't be surprised to see wrestlers constantly suffering from concussions. And while I wouldn't be at all surprised, I still don't want to know. That number can't be pretty.

And like you said, if Daniel Bryan was benched because of his repeated head trauma, then why allow Tommy Dreamer back multiple times? Whenever that guy talks about his life, it's like hearing Jim McMahon talk about his.

Anyway, someone brought up the amount of head dropping moves lately and I was just thinking about the same thing during the Aries vs Neville match from WrestleMania. It's not the first time I thought about it, but my girlfriend is a nurse and she's extremely squeamish over the trauma these guys are suffering in the ring. That lead to a conversation that the type of talent that they sought out was MUCH different that the type of talent they go for now. I explained that before, it was a bunch of clunky wrestlers and you never had a bunch of head-dropping moves. That's changed with HHH in charge and you're seeing more indy talent being brought in and more importantly, you're not really seeing them change up their styles that much. I'll blame it on age, but it's almost too much for me to watch. Why, on a 205 live or a Raw, is Jack Gallagher getting head-dropped repeatedly by Neville? That's just so freaking reckless and dangerous. There's more examples than that too, but much of the head-dropping nature of indy wrestling has made its way into the WWE. I mean, how many times did we see a half and half suplex, dragon suplex, straight jacket suplex, lawn dart suplex, spider german suplex, super german suplex, or tiger suplex before the last 2 or 3 years? I can't imagine it happened much, but now it's practically a weekly occurrence.

Like Stone Cold says, these guys need to work smarter. If you're going to bust something like that out, it needs to be a "I don't want to use this, but I need to win and this is devastating enough to put you away" type of move. Neville's snap german should be a protected finish because of how devastating it is, but I don't think I've seen it finish one guy. And even then it makes my stomach turn because all I can think of is how damaging that is to the opponents head and neck.

I like a hard hitting style, but sometimes it's too much. The 3 way tag match from Takeover is a good example of where you got an insane amount of intensity and drama without resorting to a bunch of head drops and stupid shit like that. Work smarter, fellas. Doesn't mean you have to dull it down, but there's a time to redline your performance and a random Raw, SmackDown, or NXT isn't it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Well, I played football in the 80's in high school and was in-line for a scholarship to a major University and concussions basically ended my career. I had memory problems starting in 11th grade and it got worse from there. I had at least, 8-10 that I can remember.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Mauro seems to be scrubbing all WWE references from his Twitter.  

Fuck JBL.

Let's start a gofundme with the goal of buying a ticket to an upcoming Smackdown right behind the announcers desk and giving it to Bas.

• Like 12

Just t get back to the concussion thing, I've had two, just from playing modified softball and occasional hardball over the years. Both were from hard slides into 2nd, that's all, but it was enough. I can't begin to imagine how many a pro wrestler would get over a career. It's amazing that some of these guys are articulate at all after the beatings they've taken. At least in football you have a helmet and some rules to protect you.

Speaking of concussions, the first German NFL player, Patrick Venzke, did an interview with Spiegel a couple of years ago, detailing his head trauma problems. It was a pretty grim affair. One of the quotes that stuck with me was, 'I'm okay. Today. I'm okay about 350 days of the year. But it's the other 15 that I worry about. Then I'm grateful I don't keep a gun in the house. Because I don't know what I might do with it.'

For those interested: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/spiegel-interview-with-patrick-venzke-on-nfl-career-a-1032947.html

• Like 1

Everything with Mauro sucks - but it sure is nice having YBT/Graves back together on 205Live.  That post WrestleMania show with them on commentary and the hot crowd really shows off the potential 205Live would have in the right environment. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, if this is true, then do we get JR and Mauro trading places on their respective shows possibly? Jim did sign a WWE contract as I recall. 

I think JR's contract was more for other projects besides Play-by-Play, but I could be wrong.

39 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Y'know, the first time I heard that Kevin Steen did a move called a "package piledriver", this was genuinely what I thought it was.

That would have been about the only thing Steen could have done to make his ROH run even more awful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dog said:

Isn't there a rule of thumb that a wrestler can expect to get at least one concussion in training, solely by the act of learning to fall properly? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Let's start a gofundme with the goal of buying a ticket to an upcoming Smackdown right behind the announcers desk and giving it to Bas.

I don't know if that's a joke, but I would seriously plunk down money towards this.  You might be onto something there.

I'm trying hard not to go "Fuck JBL" for Mauro's situation, but it's hard not to.  Unless Mauro denies JBL being the reason given the track record it's hard not to believe he had a huge hand in this.  If it was one person taking issue with stuff JBL's done, then it can go either way.  But when multiple people have come out and said all the heinous things he's done?  Now that'd be cause to really pressure WWE to cut him immediately.

So try as I might I just can't avoid saying it:  Fuck JBL.

Johnny Mundo has outed JBL to Bix as being behind the scheme to steal Roberts' passport. He asked MNM to do it, because they were ribbing them by cutting their coats and shit.