DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

Now taking bookings as John Johnson? 

When Guy Fawkes was arrested (for trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605), he told the arresting officers his name was John Johnson. Remember remember the fifth of November and all that.

• Like 2

Trouble Ghost.

So apparently TNA's going to be on Spike UK in like a fortnight or something, and then World of Sport is going to be on ITV in like July, and there's that Scottish promotion that's also going to be on Spike with their 128 man tournament, even though they've lost Drew Galloway (who was their ace face). But with Jarrett merging Global Farce wrestling with Impacked wrestling, does this mean that we're going to go from having Magnus on no UK TV shows, to having him on three different ones every week? Because if that happens with him, there's every chance it also happens with Chris Masters. And that would be good.

Was watching NJPW on the Fight Network (So it's like NJPW from...2015, I think) and during Honma-Ishii, Honma does a ridonkulous top rope headbutt to the floor and Mauro Ranallo says "With all due respect to Mick Foley, Tomoaki Honma might be the craziest man in pro wrestling" and it got me to musing on that one myself: who is the craziest man in wrestling?

Initially I thought of Great Sasuke, especially with all those insane barrel dives.

But then I went back to Mick Foley and figured it has to be him.  I mean, other guys haven done more dangerous insane spots, really, but none were as dedicated to stupid reckless dangerous stuff as Foley was.  Take, for example, his match with Shane Douglas on his way out of ECW.  Foley had already signed with WWE, they had started airing the Mankind vignettes and he had a three-year deal and a feud with the Undertaker about to begin.  So in one of his last matches, he's wrestling Shane Douglas and Douglas was upset that he didn't get a great reaction from the fans and Foley said he knew how to turn the fans to Douglas' side and proceeds to have a match with Douglas, in front of a typical ECW audience (So we're not talking 10,000 people here!) where Douglas has Foley handcuffed and tees off on him with unprotected chairshots to the head.  Now, when Foley did this with his match with the Rock it was dumb and over-the-top, but at least you could say "Well it's a world title match on a major WWE PPV" so at least the violence matched the "prestige" of the event as it were.  But to take those same shots on a show for a promotion you're leaving to get someone else over.  Plus, that Mikey Whipwreck chairshot at the end is just...

Oofta. I remember the Whipwreck match that he went out on being really violent too, but doing the Rock thing right before starting WWF is on another level of stupid/crazy. 

Sabu driving around in an RV, smearing hotel walls in shit, and still doing what he's done since he started his career in and out of the ring has to be up there. 

And then there's Jeff Jarrett. But that's delusional, not crazy.

I don't know if Mick is crazier than those guys who never made it beyond mid level Indies but kept doing that dumb shit for a decade or two.

But I do know nobody ever combined great classic ring psychology with being a fucking lunatic like Foley.

• Like 1

cliff notes from AJ Lee’s book
- She starts off by saying her parents were downright fucked up. Beyond all of the domestic abuse, AJ's mom was obsessed with her remaining a virgin.

- She stabbed some guy who attempted to break into her family's underground apartment once.

- After a misdiagnosis of depression, she overdosed on antidepressants and painkillers around ~20 years old. In hindsight, she says this was a suicide attempt and that the doctors should have sent her to a psych unit. She was later properly diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

- Her first kiss happened around 20-21 years old with someone she described as a long-time friend who spent months talking to her, but she never slept with him.

- She says Greg (aka Trent Baretta) was her first real boyfriend and that she lost her virginity to him.

- She was around 23 years old at this point. Greg eventually dumped her during her big push in 2012 because she was focused on her career and they drifted apart.

- She talks about being "aggressively courted" by a wrestler who secretly had a girlfriend in the company, which resulted in that woman hating her. She says that he had way more stroke than she did, which made her reluctant to turn him down because he could have tried to get her fired. He ended up being fine with the rejection.

- After the two events above, she dated another wrestler for a year, but he eventually slept with one of her close friends. He was surprised when she got upset about it.

- Beginning with their storyline in 2012, Punk became rather obsessed and kept trying to get with her. She focused on the kiss they had on SmackDown (the segment where she also kisses Bryan) as a turning point for them. Despite that, she kept refusing him and they remained close friends instead. A year or so later, they said "fuck it" and got together

- In 2010, while AJ was being tested as a host during a house show, Punk broke a television backstage because the Divas match was so terrible. Coincidentally, this resulted in Fit Finlay giving AJ a "tryout" against Layla the next night, which did great. As a result, she was going to debut on SmackDown a week later alongside Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero in a storyline that would divide them. It was written out of the show at the last minute, and the story was eventually given to Kaitlyn for NXT months later instead.

- During NXT, she was brought into a meeting with Head of Talent Relations and told directly to her face that "no one wants to have sex with you" and that the company had a standard to uphold.

- She claims she was then eliminated from NXT following the meeting, despite them previously telling her that she was getting the most votes each week.

- While detailing her Love Triangle storyline, she stated that the original plan was for Bryan to beat Punk for the title and her and Bryan be a heel power couple. This changed after the writers decided to prolong the angle.

- She wrote a few paragraphs about how certain women tried to saboage her and complained to management when things didn't go their way.

- After Punk left the company, she was "caught in the middle" and stressed at times, but was not going to leave just because he did.

- WrestleMania 30 is the final event of her career that she details. She felt she had nothing left to accomplish/prove in wrestling after that.

- She detailed all of the various injuries she suffered in wrestling, including 7 concussions and permanent damage to her cervical spine. The latter of which played a large role in her retirement.

- Overall, she spoke highly of people such as Kaitlyn, Beth Phoenix, Eve, Layla, Naomi, Aksana, Cena, Paige, Tamina, Kane, Bryan, Big E, Tom Prichard, Norman Smiley, Billy Kidman and Vince McMahon.

- In regards to Triple H and Stephanie, Triple H was never mentioned at all. Stephanie was but only at the beginning when she opens on how Steph was one of her personal favourites along with Lita while watching WWF as a kid.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Omega said:

cliff notes from AJ Lee’s book

- During NXT, she was brought into a meeting with Head of Talent Relations and told directly to her face that "no one wants to have sex with you" and that the company had a standard to uphold.

Holy shit.

I'm guessing this probably isn't the only time that conversation has occurred with a female employee.  I'm legit amazed WWE doesn't get sued more often by ex-employees.

The injury comment is revealing.  I don't remember AJ working a high-risk style or being in a position where she routinely had to take big bumps or do something crazy to pop the crowd.  Would not have guessed she's had that many concussions.  

• Like 2

I always like AJ a ton and plan on getting her book.  But given Omega's post I'm initially inclined to believe some of that might be full of BS.  Not saying it is, just that I'm so used to ex-WWE folks bitching about things with no facts.  But if what AJ's saying is indeed true, then holy shit that's fucked up.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

I guess this was bound to happen:

So this is a confirmation hearing of an unqualified donor who bought the position.  Nice of this Tea Party shithead to ask joke questions while Rome burns.  Your tax dollars at work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

I'd imagine that was Mr Swimsuit Model himself Johnny Ace.

It was just a little joke because she's obviously quite attractive.

I feel like a creep for saying that now because obviously her character was entertaining beyond that. I loved her with Bryan and she was decent as GM, but she was absolutely fantastic when she was paired with Ziggler and Big E. Their little team was inexplicably one of my favorite acts on the show back then. I was so bummed out when they split. It's really too bad she wasn't the one to throw down the Divas title and rebrand it the Women's title, as I remember a lot of people clamoring for it at the time

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

I'd imagine that was Mr Swimsuit Model himself Johnny Ace.

If we're making assumptions here, I'm going with Mark Carrano.  Current job in Talent Relations, and have you seen him on Total Divas?  Just super, uber-creepy and always lecturing the women about something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I loved her with Bryan and she was decent as GM, but she was absolutely fantastic when she was paired with Ziggler and Big E. Their little team was inexplicably one of my favorite acts on the show back then.

Think how good it could have been if E'd been allowed to show the personality he has with New Day?

• Like 2