DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I didn't know he left TNA, but man did his stock fall pretty hard.  He would have been much better off doing indies for a decent price.  He went in TNA from hot shit to just shit and Aaron Rex was the final nail in the coffin.  I still think he'll be good in acting but now he's got that TNA stink on him.

The straight shooter thing was awful, and then I didn't watch TNA for a few weeks. I tune in for Braxton and Laurel's wedding, and Aron Rex comes down the aisle like a low-rent Liberace with makeup and a dirty white mink coat.  Dude. If you're going to do that gimmick, go 100% or don't bother.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't ever think he was main event material, but I thought he could have gotten a good spot in the IC title range. After seeing him on TNA, though--Vince was right on this call. It was embarrassing.

• Like 2

We can't let Matt Hardy be Broken yet, so we'll just Delete the Vaudevillains in the meantime?

Gotch was in the Andre Royale, right? Good that he got that extra paycheck.

13 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The straight shooter thing was awful, and then I didn't watch TNA for a few weeks. I tune in for Braxton and Laurel's wedding, and Aron Rex comes down the aisle like a low-rent Liberace with makeup and a dirty white mink coat.  Dude. If you're going to do that gimmick, go 100% or don't bother.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't ever think he was main event material, but I thought he could have gotten a good spot in the IC title range. After seeing him on TNA, though--Vince was right on this call. It was embarrassing.

The costume was bad (Though I got a kick out of his flesh-colored trunks, surprised Goldust never used that during his TAFKA Goldust phase), but the affected voice, something like Rip Taylor and calling people "Dah-ling" and the like was just so bad.

Also, I hope Aiden English goes back to his old gimmick now and dumps the Vaudvillain stuff.  When he would walk out onto the ramp and call for the spotlight then sing his way down to the ring, the Full Sail crowd would go nuts.  I guess that would be infringing upon the Drifter's gimmick now, but English's was totally different musical theater-type songs.

• Like 1

What's bad is I liked Simon's gimmick as an old timey strongman, but it only worked in NXT.  I was hoping people would give it a chance but once Simon got into it backstage with people that was it.  I feel bad for Aiden who through no fault of his own got dragged down with this.  Here's hoping he gets another chance.

And is it any wonder Gotch was the first one released?  The guy's most of the time the first one eliminated from battle royals and has been a complete and total afterthought.  They were fixin' to cut him ASAP if they could.  But reading Rippa's post below I can only imagine how happy they were to see him go.

Reading further - Gotch's is a "mutually agreed upon" so he clearly asked for his release and they were move than happy to give it to him

The Vaudevillains were never given a real shot. The things that made them fun in nxt (long intro, silent promos, etc.) were not used on the main roster. I recall being shocked when they were cutting promos no different than any other tag team.

One of my wwe peeves is allowing performers in developmental to work gimmicks which the top brass view as d.o.a. what's the point?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

The Vaudevillains were never given a real shot. The things that made them fun in nxt (long intro, silent promos, etc.) were not used on the main roster. I recall being shocked when they were cutting promos no different than any other tag team.

One of my wwe peeves is allowing performers in developmental to work gimmicks which the top brass view as d.o.a. what's the point?

It boggles the mind.  One of the reasons Carmella is struggling is that they separated her from Enzo & Cass and now her gimmick makes no sense. And they only kept her in NXT for an extra three months, so the idea that she was staying behind to learn more wrestling isn't true.

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It boggles the mind.  One of the reasons Carmella is struggling is that they separated her from Enzo & Cass and now her gimmick makes no sense. And they only kept her in NXT for an extra three months, so the idea that she was staying behind to learn more wrestling isn't true.

To be fair, that may have been true at the time until they suddenly had to have enough women on both Raw and SD to support two separate women's divisions

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Victator said:

Styles made the same type of joke he would have in 98 about Clinton getting his dick sucked, and well people reverted to their fake outrage. 

It was stupid and I really dislike Joey Styles in general. 

He cold-cocked JBL, so he gets one pass card from me.

• Like 5

Sad about Gotch. There goes my dream match of Gallagher vs Gotch doing old timey mat wrestling.

I'll never really understand WWE creative hell of "We have nothing for you." and guys having to go out of their way to come up with stuff on their own, moreover when they have NXT and a developmental system in place only to call people up to the main roster and say "Go out there and do your stuff, you have 5 minutes with entrances.". Just seems like a waste of time and money.

• Like 2

Not surprising since it seemed Gotch was done a year ago with the backstage fighting, and maybe taking heat for the Enzo concussion (although Enzo's body of work seems to indicate that he's the sloppy one). I always thought Gotch had more potential than English and they missed an opportunity to really run with the old-timey strong-man gimmick. He should do ok on the indies.

7 hours ago, caley said:

Arron Rex's TNA gimmick (After 'Straight-shootin' guy who badmouths WWE') was so bad, it was one of the signs that no matter how out-of-touch or senile people think Vince McMahon is, he still has some pretty good business sense (Supposedly Sandow wanted to do the gimmick in WWE but they wouldn't let him).

+1 for nixing that gimmick, but -1 for allowing the terrible Macho Man impression.

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Not surprising since it seemed Gotch was done a year ago with the backstage fighting, and maybe taking heat for the Enzo concussion (although Enzo's body of work seems to indicate that he's the sloppy one). I always thought Gotch had more potential than English and they missed an opportunity to really run with the old-timey strong-man gimmick. He should do ok on the indies.

Now taking bookings as John Johnson? 

Random thought: I was watching a 1978 match between Billy Robinson and Abdullah the Butcher. At one point, Abby rolls out of the ring. Billy walks the other direction. 

Lucha and modern American wrestling says the next thing to happen is Robinson running the rope and suicide diving onto Abby. (Or in some other way doing a flying attack.) Of course Robinson doesn't do that. He doesn't even go after Abby right away. 

I was amused at how I readied myself for his big dive. Because that's what modern rasslin has trained me to expect. Even Taker does it.