DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Also, didn't beating up Steve Williams give Bart Gunn a career in Japan? I certainly wouldn't call that a bad thing, considering how limited he would've been here in the US.

Last time Brawl For All came up, like 2 months ago, it shifted into a discussion about how awesome the Mike Barton/Jim Steele tag team was. So that's alright.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

What happens to the AoP when they get called up? I can't picture Ellering doing all that touring when he doesn't have to at his age. 

Paul Heyman.

Or Bray Wyatt ditches swampy rednecks and goes full-on Middle Eastern muscle to back him up.

6 hours ago, Kronos said:

Glories of Bradshaw beating aside, wasn't that crappy event Russo's idea? Didn't it hurt Steve Williams really badly?

It was actually Bradshaw's original idea, sort of. He thought it would be good to have a tournament of all the big tough guys (because he was sick of feuding with Kaientai or something) who were about 300 lbs and they could have slobberknocker type matches. But when he was pitching that, Russo heard 'Tough Guy' and took that to mean a Toughman tournament.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Last time Brawl For All came up, like 2 months ago, it shifted into a discussion about how awesome the Mike Barton/Jim Steele tag team was. So that's alright.

Barton and Steele had some great matches with Tenzan and Kojima in 01

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AxB said:

It was actually Bradshaw's original idea, sort of. He thought it would be good to have a tournament of all the big tough guys (because he was sick of feuding with Kaientai or something) who were about 300 lbs and they could have slobberknocker type matches. But when he was pitching that, Russo heard 'Tough Guy' and took that to mean a Toughman tournament.

I think it was more what eventually became the Hardcore division. 

I think in regards to this Mauro situation, people are being too hard on JBL. He has done crummy things in the past, but the Mauro stuff seems mild. 

As a mentally ill person myself, I have had more issues than Detective Comics and more episodes than Gunsmoke. I know I have turned molehills into mountains. 

It seems Mauro has serious issues and working for WWE is difficult under the best circumstances. This just seems like JBL was poking fun and did not have malice. 

Not to excuse past behavior. Just looking at this as a stand alone case

Well, yeah, but in the eyes of the law, a pattern of previous behaviour is used as an indication of guilt. He's a guy who has a long history of maliciousness, so it's natural to assume his behaviour is motivated by malice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why are we talking about the possible okayness of a guy who shot on the Blue fucking Meanie for no reason? Seriously. Fuck that guy. 

Because its an interesting conversation. Why the fuck do you think?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Well, yeah, but in the eyes of the law, a pattern of previous behaviour is used as an indication of guilt. He's a guy who has a long history of maliciousness, so it's natural to assume his behaviour is motivated by malice.

Which is fair enough. But I think teasing a guy for a WON award is different than the other things he is accused of. 

I think if Meanie did not have the staples, nothing would have been made of it. But with the blood it looked worse and people rightfully panicked. I have seen harder shots in Vader and Hansen matches. 

Well it was during a match, its not like he attacked him in the locker room. Which I do think makes a difference.

Seeing him on shows like Byte This at the time, he seemed like a drunken dickhead. But I don't think that calls for the hyperbolic vitriol people were using. Especially since he does a lot of charity work for underprivileged children.  

It wasn't during a match it was during a post match pull apart shmoz with no stakes and Meanie got sucker punched and had to pull someone on top of him to get JBL off of him. Also if you watch that ECW One Night Stand DVD with JBL's commentary, you can hear him just getting drunker and drunker all night, which is another issue entirely with WWE letting JBL get trashed on the job (It's wrestling, I know) And once Meanie shows up his entire demeanor changes and you can hear him single out and target Meanie on commentary, telegraphing up the potatoing later on.

7 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Speaking of The Brawl for All, @Bix and @KrisZ did a great full review on their podcast Between the Sheets. An excellent listen. 

Everyone here should be listening to Between the Sheets.  And throw in the 5 bucks a month to their Patreon to get the exclusive shows.  It's worth it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Red is Dead said:

Watching the walk down the ramp and performance in the ring from last night - Matt Hardy has to be held together by parcel tape, chewing gum and drawing pins by now, right?

That's pretty much the definition of "broken," yes.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Victator said:

So you don't know any of the story here. 

This was the idea of the office, Kurt was injured at the time and did not want to do it. He did not go to the ring during a live taping and decide to "bully" the game show contestants. 

And it was officially called an amateur wrestling challenge and Puder pinned himself. Which Puder managed to live off of for a few years.

So the lesson is you don't research anything. 

He broke one of the first volunteer's ribs didn't he? He was extremely rough with them.

Then again, that came from Puder, who isn't exactly unbiased here.

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why are we talking about the possible okayness of a guy who shot on the Blue fucking Meanie for no reason? Seriously. Fuck that guy. 

Here's the thing: It's one thing to understand that it's a macho business and there's going to be hazing and "toughening up" rookies.

Basically, maybe it's one thing for Undertaker to demand respect and Finlay or Regal to get stiff with some newcomers. It's how things are.

But every hazing story featuring Benoit or JBL suggests they're just, well, nutjobs.  They go beyond usual fratboy antics and are rather scary and sadistic. 

And we know for a 100% fact that one of them was insane.       

No wonder Justin Roberts didn't answer the door when they went batshit about the t-shirt stuff. Would anyone have?

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Probably. Although, Kilgore is pretty good in their own right.

While on the subject of songs used in ECW, Prong was/is criminally underrated.

Saw them in concert a few years ago. Pretty awesome. I think Tommy Victor is the only original member left though.

Per Meltzer - the NXT callups that should occur today and tomorrow

Spoiler

Nakamura

Almas

Dillinger

Revival (maybe) (He didn't know this one for a fact - speculating based on things he knew/observed)

"My impression is that a lot of guys who lost on Saturday are coming up" - was his exact quote

5 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Saw them in concert a few years ago. Pretty awesome. I think Tommy Victor is the only original member left though.

Yes, he is the only original left. I saw them in '96 opening for Ozzy and Filter on the Retirement Sucks tour. They closed their set with "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck".