DVDVR Message Board

FINALS: AJ STYLES vs. REVIVAL

RIPPA

AJ STYLES vs. REVIVAL  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the Winner of March Madness

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours and 0 posts for the finals. That's... a pretty good indicator on how obvious this result was.

I'm not voting anyone over Revival, that includes Styles. Styles is the best guy in the world at a style I generally hate. He is the best at it, and had some great matches, but also had some matches I hated. The Revival was great or amazing in every single big match they were in. 

I love their act and they did put on two of the best tags I've seen in quite some time with #DIY.  They probably had WWE's match of the year or under the WWE umbrella.  Maybe the world.  They also had some great tags with Alpha. 

But then we look at AJ Styles and it's easy to say look at the series with Cena or look at the TLC match with Dean.  He had more than a handful of incredibly impressive high end matches at big shows. But for me and why I'd vote Styles over anyone in the world this year it's the day to day..   You look at the tag match with Y2AJ vs. New Day.  Probably New Day's best match and it was a random RAW. You look at the triple threat match to end the year on SDL.  You look at pretty much every single week he's carrying SDL from an in-ring standpoint but then also he elevated himself to being probably a top 5 guy this year on the mic.  Have to go with AJ this year. 

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I love their act and they did put on two of the best tags I've seen in quite some time with #DIY.  They probably had WWE's match of the year or under the WWE umbrella.  Maybe the world.  They also had some great tags with Alpha. 

But then we look at AJ Styles and it's easy to say look at the series with Cena 

And thus my argument is made :)

Yeah, the Revival/AA and Revival/DIY matches were definitely more my speed than the Styles/Cena series, but AJ also made a match with Elseworth worth watching and was just generally really fun week in and week out all year while Revival had stretches of absence (through no fault of their own). I think Styles wins by sheer volume. Plus he kept me interested in the main roster when I was very ready to check out.

AJ's been a good promo for a few years now when he finally found his character, rednecky goofball dumbass didn't really work too well, but it was his character until he got his longer hair basically as heel or face. He's run away with this whole tournament and it's not even close. The key is. Would AJ vs the Revival be a good handicap match of some sort? AJ as underdog babyface against whatever the Revival's actual gimmick is. I assume old school-ish heels that can work, but I don't watch NXT.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

AJ's been a good promo for a few years now when he finally found his character, rednecky goofball dumbass didn't really work too well, but it was his character until he got his longer hair basically as heel or face. He's run away with this whole tournament and it's not even close. The key is. Would AJ vs the Revival be a good handicap match of some sort? AJ as underdog babyface against whatever the Revival's actual gimmick is. I assume old school-ish heels that can work, but I don't watch NXT.

Wait. You've never seen the Revival but you voted anyway?

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

I would pay good money to see that match.  Revival would pull out all the stops and likely work the leg.  That would take away a lot of AJ's aerial offense and it'd be interesting to see how he adapts to that.

This final feels way too obvious, so much so we're still only at page one.  It's too easy to vote AJ on this considering the year he's had.  Revival might be an old-school tribute act, but they're so damn good at it and really embrace that old-school mentality.  I wish they had more matches to show for it but I can't hold that against them.  I'm sure when they on the main roster they'll have much more to talk about.  Unfortunately for them AJ has had many matches in the past year and has normally been the bright spot even against lesser opponents.  Add to that his promo work greatly improving and it's almost impossible to vote anybody against him.  So despite my love for Revival I'm voting AJ in this one.

EDIT:  Damn, if I knew it would be this lopsided I'd have voted Revival.  Are we on track for the most lopsided final ever?

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This final feels way too obvious, so much so we're still only at page one.  ...

EDIT:  Damn, if I knew it would be this lopsided I'd have voted Revival.  Are we on track for the most lopsided final ever?

Based on just the last three year's archived tournaments, the average margin of victory in the finals has been 3.33 votes. Cesaro beat Bryan by 1 vote, Nakamura beat Rusev by 9 votes, and Bayley and Sasha tied.

Also, the last three years have had an average of 220.67 replies in the finals thread (322 in one day for Cesaro/Bryan).  This year has 13, counting this post.

• Like 1

I really don't see the argument for AJ. He's an excellent worker, and has been consistently good or very good all year. But I can't think of a single thing he's done this year that stands out in my memory now, much less that I'll remember years later. Whereas the Revival has been in more than one classic.

Vote Revival!

On 3/28/2017 at 7:09 AM, J.T. said:

There is no Gino Hernandez button in this poll.

Hell with that shit. I was looking for the Johnny Valentine button... Granted, he wasn't very active during the voting period but ya have to cut the guy some slack for being dead and all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

Did not think this would be as big a blowout as it is...

I think this is a prime example of the margin of victory not being indicative of the difference in quality between the two.  I'm guessing there are a whole lot of people who think AJ is just slightly better than Revival.

Went with Revival because while AJ has been the best main roster talent, he generally had it easy with Baron Corbin being the worst person he worked with all year. The Revival killed it in an environment that is much harder to do well (tag team) in American wrestling in 2016-17. 

23 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Went with Revival because while AJ has been the best main roster talent, he generally had it easy with Baron Corbin being the worst person he worked with all year. The Revival killed it in an environment that is much harder to do well (tag team) in American wrestling in 2016-17. 

Not sure this argument holds, since they spent most of the year working with American Alpha and DIY.

I think American Alpha are worse than Corbin. I would equate #DIY/Revival with Reigns/Styles. Revival had a tag against Enzo/Cass and AJ worked against Enzo and Revival vs. Enzo/Cass was way better than AJ vs. Enzo. I get it's hard to compare a tag match vs. a singles due to the fact that the dynamics change everything but it's the only common opponent I could find for AJ and Revival

Styles wrestled James Ellsworth as a proxy for Dean Ambrose because the roster was too thin and the feud needed to stretch, lost a couple times in comedic fashion, and still appeared a viable ace. He carried plenty of other episodes when there wasn't much actually happening. Revival basically only worked featured matches that were given time. Way, way easier. (Still impressive! But.)

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic