DVDVR Message Board

Lies Wrestling Fans Tell

I was in Job Corps in 1999 and this buggy whip armed, bug eyed, non-athletic fuck was trying to tell me that he went to a show and Andre The Giant picked him out of the crowd to be a tag partner. This same disreputable douchebag also told me that he was a mayor of a small town. Fuck outta here!

3 minutes ago, Thomas Bugg said:

I was in Job Corps in 1999 and this buggy whip armed, bug eyed, non-athletic fuck was trying to tell me that he went to a show and Andre The Giant picked him out of the crowd to be a tag partner. This same disreputable douchebag also told me that he was a mayor of a small town. Fuck outta here!

Was he wearing purple pants and answering to the name "Haku"?  If not, yeah, I call shenanigans,

• Like 5

I'm not sure what you would call this woman, but few lies compare to Psycho Cybil, 310 lbs. and beefed up with steroids, main eventing MSG in 1997: 

http://mtstandard.com/sports/wrestling-psycho-trains-in-billings/article_684b39b7-929a-5fa8-bba2-252688d713c0.html

2010 Update!

http://helenair.com/lifestyles/community/healing-one-tattoo-at-a-time/article_b638c57c-281b-11df-b412-001cc4c03286.html

Can't find the other article that talks about her one time 18.5 mil net worth. 

My uncle told me he used to attend wrestling shows in the 70s and early 80s.  He said he was at small venue (possibly a high school) and the Wild Samoans got carried away and threw a chair into the audience and it hit a woman.  He said the crowd was in damn near riot mode and he walked up to the Samoans on their way out and flipped them off. He said the Samoans looked at him and then looked at each other and begged off.

1 hour ago, EricR said:

I'm not sure what you would call this woman, but few lies compare to Psycho Cybil, 310 lbs. and beefed up with steroids, main eventing MSG in 1997: 

http://mtstandard.com/sports/wrestling-psycho-trains-in-billings/article_684b39b7-929a-5fa8-bba2-252688d713c0.html

quoting Eric so I can link to something he wrote: When Wrestling was Punk Rock: http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2009/07/when-wrestling-was-punk.html

Also, my friend said a friend in his neighborhood was visited by his relative The Rock when the WWF was in town in the late 90s, but considering Samoan standards for claiming relation, it's not impossible

• Like 1

I worked a couple cards with Psycho Cybil - oy vey. You knew when she was lying: her lips were moving. She tried to break in on the Indiana indies (and there ain't a lower rung then the Indiana indies) and I was hip to her then because of her rep from the small world (at the time) of tattooing. A couple years later she shows up in Milwaukee, and it amused the promoter of Mid American Wrestling to book her, despite the fact that he got the rundown on her from Moolah. Of course I get booked with her because we both had a "look" (kooky hair, tattoos, piercings) - ah, the '90s, that used to be enough of a gimmick back then. We never saw her after her second show, as Hardcore Craig potatoed her so beautifully that she took a real bump (for once).

The moral is that you don't work a worker. In fact, there is a giant difference between lying and working. A work always benefits the worker, who knows it is a work. There is a frequent sort of camp follower in the business, folks who are attracted to pro wrestling because they 1) lie to themselves, and B- think that you believe them, and usually III: they think their lies are the truth by now. They can be fans, but in the porous realm of indy rassling, they try to get booked and occasionally succeed. Bikers who think that their (self-perceived, often) toughness is a substitute for training, unathletic types types who think they comprehend how to be a manager, wrestling school drop-outs, et al. Sometimes they do get booked, because they can get a hungry/desperate/stupid promoter a cheap rental in a desirable venue or some free advertising. These people never want to pay their dues and typically disappear quickly----unless they start their own fed...

- RAF   "i could write a book I am so full of stories"

• Like 5

You guys are too critical. There was nothing glaringly horrendous with that McGee/Anderson match: it's a classic tale of the WWE wanting to push a muscular/athletic/handsome(?) guy and putting them in there with a solid hand.

If you knew nothing about the guy being a braindead kook, and just took him at face value, you'd realize at the time that McGee clearly needed more seasoning (and a lesson on telling his right from his left), but it's not like he was Lacey Von Erich out there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Here's Eddie's match. The lies wrestlers tell themselves, like "I am a good wrestler"...

EDIT: After watching that I know exactly why Arn went back down south. 

I think that match earned the Brain Busters their tag title reign.

• Like 1

It's really a shame that Magee was pushed as early as he was. There was really nothing wrong with the guy save for lack of experience. I'm not saying that he would have been the next coming of Barry Windham or anything, but he sure could have been a decent hand with proper training and seasoning. I don't know who trained him or for how long, but the kid just wasn't ready for the big time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

It's really a shame that Magee was pushed as early as he was. There was really nothing wrong with the guy save for lack of experience. I'm not saying that he would have been the next coming of Barry Windham or anything, but he sure could have been a decent hand with proper training and seasoning. I don't know who trained him or for how long, but the kid just wasn't ready for the big time.

That's classic WWE, though: they push the guys that look good, regardless of whether they're ready to go. McGee, Lashley, Enzo & Cass, Apollo Crews...even John Cena when he first showed up was in over his damn head and not ready for prime time. What's the point of having developmental if, you know...you don't develop these fucking guys, first?

• Like 2

@Marty Sugar, I'd exempt Enzo and Cass from your list as they're basically a one-trick pony (Enzo's mic work). Cass could maybe be something, but I kind of doubt it, the guy has been around the training center quite awhile and shows no visible signs of improvement. McGee, Cena, Lashley, and Crews are perfect examples of being rushed to the big stage before they were ready, to Cena's credit, he sucked it up and continued learning, Lashley took his career in another direction and the jury is still out on Crews. This is what happens when you have a company run by a crazy old bodybuilder who creams himself whenever he sees a young guy with muscles.

• Like 3

Cena got lucky because top vets wanted to work with him and help him along: Angle and Jericho especially. Also Cena had the balls to go straight to Triple H and ask for honest feedback, to which HHH said "you fucking suck," and the guy went out of his way to prove Triple H wrong. Most guys would probably shrivel up and quit at that point.

Enzo is a great promo and nothing else. He's lost in the ring, and if he wasn't so small he'd be a detriment to his opponents' health. I could envision him and Corey Graves as a hipster version of Monsoon/Heenan on commentary, though. That might work. Cass has a boatload of potential but he needs another year in NXT getting taught how to work as a big man on his own.

Uh, not to be a prick, but Cass has been at this for nearly a decade with no sign of improvement, how long you want to give him to "develop"? I figure if you can't be ring-ready after training with Johnny Rodz, this might just not be the correct career path to follow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Uh, not to be a prick, but Cass has been at this for nearly a decade with no sign of improvement, how long you want to give him to "develop"? I figure if you can't be ring-ready after training with Johnny Rodz, this might just not be the correct career path to follow.

Fair enough. I didn't realize he had that much indy experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Fair enough. I didn't realize he had that much indy experience.

It's too bad, by all accounts he seems like a good guy, but he certainly wouldn't be the first 7-footer that just lacked the physical tools for wrestling. In all fairness, it may also be the way he's been booked his whole career, if you're booked to stand around and do one or two power moves for seven years, it's pretty likely that that's all you're going to be proficient at.

• Like 1

By the time of the Arn Anderson match Magee had six months in the Hart Dungeon, six months in the AJPW dojo, and a year of working house show matches against Terry Gibbs, a solid low midcard hand. If that was the best Magee could put together after all of that against Arn Anderson, it was never going to happen for him.

• Like 2