DVDVR Message Board

Lizmark, La Fiera y Kung Fu vs. Pirata Morgan, Hombre Bala y Jerry Estrada (2/27/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

One of the lesser trios but still good stuff.  King Fu is a good comedy character and again works a fun segment where he dominants the rudos.  La Fiera rules in this match, hitting some cool kicks at the end of the first fall and a crazy front flip arm drag in the second; Los Bucaneros work over La Fiera's leg to end the second fall and in the third fall Fiera mounts a comeback selling the leg really well.  The Fiera leg dynamic is really cool and gives this match a unique feel but it's a bottom third affair.

• 2 weeks later...

Better VQ and closer shots of los Bucaneros this time, which still doesn't help me out much. I guess the shortest guy with red headband is Morgan. 

Kung Fu does his thing including a kick to the shin which is pretty comical. I have no idea how una caida ended on a single pinfall, especially when I thought it was Estrada getting pinned. Later on he throws his patch, which along with the boot tassles gives him away. Lots of flashy stuff from the tecnicos in this one. We get a nice series of rolling sentons from los Bucaneros to take out Lizmark, then they start on Fiera's leg. I must've missed the end to segunda caida because all of the sudden this is over. Pretty uninteresting overall and the first match that feels like filler on the set, though the work was good. 

This is a bit of a disappointment compared to the last match which is mostly because there were a few passages that felt pretty flat. The most memorable moments were still pretty spectacular though and that keeps it closer to midrange than the bottom. I loved all of the Kung Fu exchanges, especially Kung Fu going solo against Morgan and Hombre Bala. I really liked all of the legwork and La Fiera's selling of said legwork during the final fall. That moment where he and Estrada are circling each other, Fiera's leg buckles, and Estrada pounces only for La Fiera to hit some great hope spots on all three Bucaneros before going back to selling the leg was really well done. I could have seen that being a highlight in an even better match.

• 7 months later...

The first fall had several amusing moments, with Kung Fu dominating Bala and then later all three Buccaneros.  Kung Fu's bows are great.  The Buccaneros' refusing to grant the match-ups desired by the technicos in the first fall always works for me as well.  Lizmark's sequence with the Buccaneros at the start of the second fall is not super-smooth, but if works fairly well.  I liked Estrada ripping off his eyepatch.  The assault on Fiera's leg is pretty compelling, and I second the love for Fiera's leg going out from under him.  However, I wish the leg would have been even more of a focus of the match.  Lizmark's funny scooting small package wins the match.  This is pretty mid-rangey to me, maybe even bottom-third, as others have said.  I think the Buccaneros stooged a bit too much in this match.

• 5 months later...

With three falls in these things, there can really never be too much stooging because there's always time to take back over and be dominant again. I would agree that there were definitely flat parts in this, but a lot of the Kung Fu stuff was really fun and I liked La Fiera's selling of the knee injury. This definitely didn't feel like filler to me and if it's in the bottom 3rd of my ballot then it won't in the cellar that's for sure.