DVDVR Message Board

WWE BUYS THE WORLD~! (or maybe just ROH, some UK feds... I'm sure they would still like TNA's library)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but wasn't Joe Koff known for being a shady dude when he first got involved with ROH. At the very least, I thought he wasn't well liked.

The only thing I ever heard of Joe was that for however big Sinclair is he's a big-time cheapskate.  And it shows considering as long as they've been owned by Sinclair there's been little to actually show for it.  I remember when the lighting rig improved it took so long for that that people were unusually excited.  I'm absolutely sure he's shady but at least in meeting him at some ROH shows he seemed like a nice enough guy.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but wasn't Joe Koff known for being a shady dude when he first got involved with ROH. At the very least, I thought he wasn't well liked.

You're thinking of his brother Jerry Koff.  His friends call him Jer.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

The fact that everyone has moved on to talking about New Jersey makes me think this probably isn't happening.

Is Phil Collins from Jersey?

• Like 3

On 3/23/2017 at 8:52 AM, Technico Support said:

Also, fuck Sinclair.  I won't even get into the political part of it but I will say that everyone I ever knew who worked for them told me it is a cheap, awful company.

I worked for the for 16 years before they shit down my station so they could free up money to start up Comet, and they are the cheapest, most awful company in TV.

• Like 1

Could The Briscoe's ever be WWE'ized? I mean I'm sure they could learn to work the WWE style. But for the life of me I don't think I could ever see Mark or Jay being able to do a scripted promo word for word.

WHUD YOU MEAN I GOTTA DO THEM LINES? TERRY FUNK DIDN'T HAVE NO SCRIPT? WELL HE DID IN ROAD HOUSE, BUT THAT RIGHT THERE WAS A MASTERPIECE OF CINEMA.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

WHUD YOU MEAN I GOTTA DO THEM LINES? TERRY FUNK DIDN'T HAVE NO SCRIPT? WELL HE DID IN ROAD HOUSE, BUT THAT RIGHT THERE WAS A MASTERPIECE OF CINEMA.

It is 2017, Vince has probably seen Road House by now. This could work.

• Like 3

I was just listening to the Austin podcast with Adam Cole and he talks about how amazing it is that "there's so much wrestling out there" right now. It would be a shame if WWE bought a lot of that and shut it down.

I get WHY they want these video libraries, especially with guys like Styles and Joe and Owens and Rollins getting big pushes...but still.

On 3/24/2017 at 6:47 PM, Phantom Lord said:

Could The Briscoe's ever be WWE'ized? I mean I'm sure they could learn to work the WWE style. But for the life of me I don't think I could ever see Mark or Jay being able to do a scripted promo word for word.

They were offered a developmental deal not too long ago.  From what I recall they turned it down as it wasn't for significantly more than they make on the indies and their family owns a few businesses in Delaware that they help run.

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

I was just listening to the Austin podcast with Adam Cole and he talks about how amazing it is that "there's so much wrestling out there" right now. It would be a shame if WWE bought a lot of that and shut it down.

I get WHY they want these video libraries, especially with guys like Styles and Joe and Owens and Rollins getting big pushes...but still.

WWE trying to license specific shows or matches from various indy libraries makes sense given how many key players have extensive back catalogues.  Paying however much for certain matches to include on DVD specials and whatnot makes sense, but WWE buying out various promotions to absorb/shut them down just doesn't add up.  None of these companies are nor will ever be a threat to them financially.  Sure there are some wrestlers they'd like to sign who aren't interested in contracts, but for every wrestler who would rather stay on the indies there are several others who would take the deal that they could do just as much with so it's not like they're losing out on a significant amount of roster additions.  I get them wanting to develop as many guys in-house as possible but they are still going to need other companies out there for newer wrestlers to come up through the ranks before being WWE-ready.

This makes me think on a point that's come up here before - how many people on the main roster right now had no indy experience before going through the PC?  Enzo & Cass, Big E, Miz, Roman?

5 minutes ago, zev said:

Miz was in OVW for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9cYhJeuSHs

Does that really count? Calling OVW an indy when it was a WWE developmental is like calling nxt an indy. Miz did appear in Rick Bassman's UPW.

Baron Corbin also has no indy experience to speak of.

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Does that really count? Calling OVW an indy when it was a WWE developmental is like calling nxt an indy. Miz did appear in Rick Bassman's UPW.

Not everyone on the OVW roster had a developmental contract. For every hour worth of matches that would get filmed every week for TV, they'd have an hour of dark matches and go out for house shows. Plenty of greenhorns and rookies in the mix on those shows. And given the distances and roads between the cities they worked, and the crowds in terms of size and attitudes, yes, it really counts.

19 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Cass was trained by Johnny Rodz I think he did some small indies in the New York area.

If you ever wanted to see Big Cass work a cowboy gimmick infront of like 30 people:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

This makes me think on a point that's come up here before - how many people on the main roster right now had no indy experience before going through the PC?  Enzo & Cass, Big E, Miz, Roman?

Depends on how you want to define "PC" because we could count Brock if we're counting Miz. But Titus counts. Also most of the women (I think only Sasha, Bayley, Paige, Becky, Nattie and Mickie are the ones with prior experience).