DVDVR Message Board

WWE BUYS THE WORLD~! (or maybe just ROH, some UK feds... I'm sure they would still like TNA's library)

RIPPA

So this all started because Pro Wrestling Sheet reported that WWE is trying to buy ROH

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/buyout-ring-honor-wwe/#.WNMVDxIrJE4?platform=hootsuite

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned WWE and Sinclair Broadcast Group have recently discussed a potential buyout of Ring of Honor in secret … this according to sources.

Multiple sources with direct knowledge tell us the companies have been talking since January and things have been slowly progressing, with the plan being a full takeover if the deal is made official.

This would include the weekly TV show beginning to air on the WWE Network. No word at this point on whether every wrestler on the roster would continue working in ROH if it happens.

SCANDAL~!

It has been going on so long that Meltzer was able to have an update in the new Observer that just came out

Pro Wrestling Sheet reported on 3/22 that the WWE was in talks with Sinclair Broadcasting regarding purchasing of Ring of Honor.

There had been stories going around wrestling of talks between Sinclair and WWE regarding buying ROH in recent weeks, to the point over the past month, there were people asking questions to those in the company about the story. Those in the company denied the story being accurate at the time to talent that had asked.

Joe Koff had not commented at press time on the story, but others in the company have stated that they weren’t aware of any talks and that nothing has happened that would make things seem any different from business as usual going forward.

A major key to the deal would include the purchase of the ROH library, which has early matches of many of the current top WWE names including Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Daniel Bryan, A.J. Styles, Austin Aries and many others. We’re told WWE first inquired about purchasing ROH dating back to August, and wanted to do so for more than just the tape library. There have also been at least minor inquiries and feelers about purchasing other independent companies, both in the U.S. and the U.K., for tape libraries and perhaps to limit outside options for talent.

If WWE was to purchase the company, the question becomes would they operate it and honor the contracts or close it down, like was the plan with TNA when there were negotiations to purchase that company a few months ago largely for the videotape rights and intellectual property going forward. WWE has a lot of developmental talent that really needs more ring time in front of fans than they are getting in the current system. It’s also beneficial for the company, as far as being able to keep pay for the top rising stars down by taking away alternatives, to control as much of the full-time U.S. marketplace as there is.

These reports won’t help morale as ROH is set up for what could be its largest attended show in its history on 4/1 in Lakeland, FL. In addition, the company is still scheduled for a series of joint shows in May with New Japan Pro Wrestling.

As noted many times, Sinclair has never gotten fully behind the company, which was ahead of Impact in a lot of facets including overall interest, but never was able to get the television production quality necessary to get the type of overseas money deals and national cable deals that have kept Impact barely afloat over the past year. The production of the television has improved over the past year. Still, both companies lost Destination America at the same time, but Impact was able to get on Pop TV, while ROH got on Comet TV, which was mostly low power broadcast stations that weren’t on most cable systems. Because of being on Sinclair broadcast stations, ROH reached more viewers weekly than Impact, but still lagged behind in production and overseas penetration.

Those in WWE had talked about meetings for such a deal two weeks ago, and for a few days the story was being talked about by people on the inside in other companies, but nothing had materialized. At this point there is nothing concrete as to where this stands or the odds of it actually taking place.

Still, just the idea they are talking will change the dynamic inside the company, as well as within New Japan and CMLL, who have working relationships with ROH. ROH was a place New Japan could send young talent to garner experience, such as Yohei Komatsu, Sho Tanaka and Jay White on the current roster.

It would also leave the leading company in Japan, as well as Mexico, if such a deal goes through, with limited options for an American partner. New Japan and Impact had a deal fall through years ago and Impact always had used the New Japan talent poorly. Similarly, Impact and CMLL had a working agreement at one point with the same end result.

The only other company of significance in the U.S. at this point would be Lucha Underground, and they are in bed with AAA, CMLL’s mortal enemy, and New Japan has always made it clear they wouldn’t work with anyone affiliated with AAA. Plus, Lucha Underground has lost so much money and seemed to really lose its way over the last year creatively. It has strong backers, but its battle plan was more to present television to get characters over with the idea of using those characters in a Sci-Fi movie as opposed to building a full-time wrestling company.

ROH had become, especially over the past year when salaries had been raised and business had increased, become a place where talent could bargain and key talent was offered more money than WWE or TNA were offering, and in other cases, even if they could make more in TNA, the feeling was that TNA wasn’t a place to go to build a name. It was also a way to stay in the business full-time for some who had talent but for whatever reason, WWE didn’t feel they fit into their promotion, as well as an American outpost for those who had deals with New Japan to work in between tours.

The emphasis is mine on that one point since A) slightly different timeline and B.) that seems to be the point (at least the 2nd part) that most people argue about 

I'm reading that article and while I'd be fine with them buying the tape library buying the company (and others) doesn't sit well with me.  This isn't exactly the 80s where the territories were dying off anyway and they picked the scraps.  And it isn't even WCW where they were failing miserably and buying them out was a mercy killing.  This is a company that has maintained where they are and aren't necessarily on a downward spiral.  At what point do people look at this and take issue with a monopoly attempt?  And at what point do talent wanting to go with WWE think otherwise because they want to take away alternatives?  Without knowing what's in it for ROH and others they're looking to buy this seems like a very bad move.

• Like 2

Sorry guys, but I'm all for this.  I understand why monopolies are bad, but I really think this would be good for us as fans.  WWE has shown over the last couple years that they want to cater to as many different corners of their fanbase as possible.  I never watch Raw or Smackdown, but I watch 205 Live and NXT every single week.  I'd watch the shit out of old ROH if it was on the network, and would be more likely to watch new ROH if it wasn't on some obscure cable channel that I never watch.  

• Like 6

Seriously.  ROH is circling the drain and reports that Delerious is in with Joe Koff and thus the booking situation will never change as long as Koff is around don't help matters.

Also, fuck Sinclair.  I won't even get into the political part of it but I will say that everyone I ever knew who worked for them told me it is a cheap, awful company.

• Like 1

If this goes through I would honestly expect ROH to be left alone as a feeder system or something with oversight from WWE. Can't claim to have watched ROH since the CZW war but from keeping up with results and whatnot it seems like they've been twiddling their thumbs for the past couple of years

It's a fantasy, but I would love a Generation Next redux with Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Alex Shelley, and Chris Sabin in the Jack Evans/Matt Sydal slot.

Not to mention the Briscoes. I'd be all for Briscoes vs. The Revival, The Usos, American Alpha, and Gallows & Anderson.

I'd barely leave the house if I had Gabe era ROH available on the WWE network.

• Like 1

I really can't see what WWE would want from ROH outside of the library. It's not like the company is enormously profitable or has a deep talent pool. If WWE wants a small-arena territory feel they can just as well do it themselves.

Fuck, it all makes sense now.  But if it's allowed by her wouldn't that then be a conflict of interest since Vince is still the guy in charge?  And if you wanted to say it's HHH's doing that's still her son-in-law.  Really don't want to bring in any political aspect of this if not warranted, but it's something to consider if it goes beyond talking.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like the idea of WWE having the monopoly on North American wrestling. And i'm concerned it would mean the end of Ring of Honor which wouldn't be good for anyone. Now if ROH became WWE owned and operated but its left as it's own thing and Vince and Dunn don't touch it and it's a mix of Indy talent and NXT talent that needs some fine tuning them I'll learn to live with it. The idea of ROH's catalog on the Network is intriguing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Fuck, it all makes sense now.  But if it's allowed by her wouldn't that then be a conflict of interest since Vince is still the guy in charge?  And if you wanted to say it's HHH's doing that's still her son-in-law.  Really don't want to bring in any political aspect of this if not warranted, but it's something to consider if it goes beyond talking.

I hear you. But let's also remember that no matter who is in charge, it would still take someone to organize and put in some kind of coherent complaint, which is unlikely. I laughed when I saw Dave make a comment about Linda, something about the independent contractor thing tabled for four more years but really, when the fuck has that ever been (seriously) on anybody's agenda except for message boards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Fuck, it all makes sense now.  But if it's allowed by her wouldn't that then be a conflict of interest since Vince is still the guy in charge?  

That is not currently a concern in government. 

Though honestly I can't imagine them caring any other time. 

• Like 1

Pretty sad because it's pro rasslin' a company like WWE can get away with such things.  WWE's lucky there isn't anybody that has that solid complaint and the means to do something about it.  There's parallels to other messed up situations but I'm not going any further with this than I already have.

Moving on, if they do acquire ROH what role would they actually serve?  Even if you wanted them as a feeder system that's what Evolve is kind of doing already.  And what would happen for stuff like Bullet Club:ROH and their ties with NJPW/CMLL?  Would that go up in smoke all because WWE would own them?  Even with the backstage shenanigans I would still hope ROH would remain as is.  And if Sinclair is why Delirious is booking then if bought out I'm sure that would change.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Pretty sad because it's pro rasslin' a company like WWE can get away with such things.  WWE's lucky there isn't anybody that has that solid complaint and the means to do something about it.  There's parallels to other messed up situations but I'm not going any further with this than I already have.

Moving on, if they do acquire ROH what role would they actually serve?  Even if you wanted them as a feeder system that's what Evolve is kind of doing already.  And what would happen for stuff like Bullet Club:ROH and their ties with NJPW/CMLL?  Would that go up in smoke all because WWE would own them?  Even with the backstage shenanigans I would still hope ROH would remain as is.  And if Sinclair is why Delirious is booking then if bought out I'm sure that would change.

Exactly. It doesn't make any sense. What exactly would WWE be purchasing?  It only makes sense if Sinclair wants out of the wrestling business and wants to dump ROH.  

This isn't about development, I'm pretty sure Meltzer said it was likelier they close it down than use it as a territory. This is about controlling the North American scene and taking away one alternative to make a living wrestling outside of WWE. The tape library would be a bonus.

Think about the workers from ROH that have either already left or are waiting out their contracts. They've thinned out ROH's roster.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This isn't about development, I'm pretty sure Meltzer said it was likelier they close it down than use it as a territory. This is about controlling the North American scene and taking away one alternative to make a living wrestling outside of WWE. The tape library would be a bonus.

Think about the workers from ROH that have either already left or are waiting out their contracts. They've thinned out ROH's roster.

I'm not going back to anything I said before, but will just say that no matter how you look at this this would be awfully fucked up if that's their intent.  And count me as an ROH supporter who will be awfully upset if they closed up.

• Like 1