DVDVR Message Board

Hey theater geeks, what plays have you seen?

Pete

Saw Book of Mormon over the weekend, which reminded me of all the plays I've managed to see over the years. (I'm old and live in NYC. It's a lot.) Here's my list... what you got? 

Comin' Uptown
Annie
Fiddler on the Roof
Doug Henning and His World of Magic
Big River
Cabaret
Little Shop of Horrors
Twelfth Night
Vampire Lesbians of Sodom
Ragtime
Largely New York
Fool Moon
Kiss Me Kate
Blue Man Group
Boeing Boeing
Top Dog Underdog
God of Carnage
One Man Two Guvnors
Something Rotten!
Fiddler on the Roof (2nd production)
Waitress 
Kinky Boots 
Book of Mormon

Looking forward to everyone's lists... 

On broadway/nyc, just spamalot. 

Lots of shakespeare everywhere, from stratford to college to wolf trap.

I saw some play about Elvis in the London west end in 1986. Have no idea what it was called now. 

If we extend this to theatre and not just plays, #1 is seeing Ricky Jay in DC in a room that sat maybe 200 people. 

The producers - twice. once in manchester with peter Kaye playing Roger De Bris which was awesome stuff.

Shrek the musical

Macbeth.

Midsummer nights dream

Waiting for godot with Stewart and McKellan. 

Have also got tickets to see the two harry potter plays on 23rd Feb next year in London. 

It's not exactly theatre, but cirque du soleil, twice at the royal albert hall.

Plus, at highschool, I was lighting manager for the school productions - smike, godspell, sweeney todd, bugsy malone....usual high school shite.

SEEN:

On Broadway:
Peter & The Starcatcher

Professional & touring productions:
Phantom of the Opera
Sweeney Todd
Les Miserables
Avenue Q (twice)
Rent
Future Thinking
Hedwig & The Angry Inch

Local/Community:
Hamlet (Clown version)
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
A number of others who I can't remember

High School Productions:
7 Keys to Baldpate
Godspell

PERFORMED:
Carousel 
Anything Goes
Taming of the Shrew
Bottom's Fantastic Dream (variation on a Midsummer Night's Dream)
Romeo & Juliet
42nd Street (twice)
Dark of the Moon
The Miracle Worker
The Adventures of Captain Neato-Man
The Uninvited
The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd
Three Murders and It's Only Monday
Annie Get Your Gun
And a bunch more:

• Like 1

Broadway:

Annie Get Your Gun (Bernadette Peters was fantastic.)

The Music Man (With Will from Will&Grace as Professor Hill.)

Phantom of the Opera

Mama Mia

The Producers (I think someone from Coach was in it?)

Touring productions visiting Philly, I've seen Phantom and Mama Mia a few more times, as well as Rent.

I've seen quite a bit of community theater, but off the top of my head I recall really excellent local versions of Fences, Sleuth, and Hairspray. 

The number of High School productions I've seen would be almost impossible to figure. I know my mom kept all of the old programs, but it felt like we went to one every week when I was a kid. It was mostly the usual suspects (West Side Story, Grease, Guys and Dolls...) We benefited from living in an area where a lot of schools had very prestigious and well funded theater programs. 

I did Summer theater when I was 12/13 and performed in Fame (where I was the dick actor who drops out and ends up waiting tables) and That's Entertainent! (where among other things I got to be a T-Bird and the Coach from Damn Yankees who sings You've Gotta Have Heart.) 

• 3 weeks later...

A disappointingly low amount...

A Christmas Carol

The Crucible

The Hollow (Agatha Christie)

Hamlet (Shakespeare in the Park)

and a Mrs Brown's Boys play way back in the day in Dublin before the TV shows existed.

Most of these have been in the last couple years as I'm trying to go to shows more often.

My fiancee is the theater geek, I just get dragged along.  In the past few years we've seen:

Cradle Will Rock

Wicked

An Ideal Husband

Othello

Seussical

We've had tickets for both Book of Mormon and Kinky Boots but had to miss them for health/surgery reasons.  We have tickets to see Hamilton in Chicago on her birthday this year so that's our next show.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea I guess this this makes the most sense to post here - Got Hamilton tickets for my birthday in December for its run at the Pantages in LA!  Pretty stoked for that.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We saw Hamilton in Chicago on Saturday.  It was really goddamned good and lived up to the hype.  The dude that played Lafayette/Jefferson was amazing and is apparently only a junior in college.

I don't get to the theatre as much as I'd like but I've seen some fantastic adaptations over the past couple of years at the Lowry in Salford - 12 Angry Men, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and A Farewell To Arms were all great.

Saw a good staging of Glengarry Glen Ross and Mr Happiness a few years back too

• 5 months later...

The wife's former company got tickets for everyone (and a guest) to see Wicked at the Landmark theater in Syracuse back in March, which was actually the first play that either of us had ever seen (outside of things like school field trips, or school plays). I spent the second act going nuts, because I recognized the guy who played Fiyero, and couldn't place it. On the drive home it hits me, it's Dr. Rhodes on Chicago Med!

• Like 1

Oh Lord a lot. I majored in theatre.

But some highlights:

Cabaret with NPH

A Long Day's Journey Into Night with Brian Dennehy and Philip Seymour Hoffman

(Oddly enough I've also seen local productions of both of those, the latter directed by a college friend)

Kiss Me Kate

42nd Street

Life X 3 (with John Turturro)

On some kind of professional stage:

Phantom of the Opera (twice)

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Evil Dead: The Musical (three times)

Ross Petty's Snow White, pre-release because my wife is friends with a tech who worked on it.

Macbeth

A REALLY good college performance of the Rocky Horror Show.

And some varied high school plays since I had a lot of theater kid friends and my (11 years younger) brother is one.

Do Welcome to Night Vale live shows count? Because The Librarian and The Investigators if so.

I feel like I'm missing stuff but I couldn't say what so eh.

I did some school trip years ago where I saw the usual suspects. That's unremarkable. But this seems like the sort of place to mention the Baltimore Rock Opera Society, which does some fairly absurd stuff like this:

CHRONOSHRED: The Adventures of Stardust Lazerdong, Pilot Episode

I saw everything they did from mid-2013 until late last year; I don't know how their most recent show, The Terrible Secret of Lunastus was.

Their best show, though, was a set of 30-minute performances, split up over two weekends. Lots of genre-subverting and strangeness, but the real winner was "Rats!", taking one of those old & moldy Broadways and adapting a little bit of the material to the Local Baltimore Mascot (well, it's either the rat or the bullet). I don't think I stopped laughing the entire show.

On a separate note, I saw something yesterday that mentioned Alison Bechdel's Fun Home was turned into a musical. Has anyone seen that?

We haven't gone out to see many plays this year but we did go see Avenue Q over the summer. Which was way funnier with the fact that parents didn't check about the show before bringing children. 

Parent: "What is this filth?"

Kid: "Can I put my finger there?"

Parent: "NOOOOOOO!"

Me: "You know this is rated R for a reason right?"

• 1 month later...

Normally I hate theater (mostly because I hate being in a suit for hours on end), but I accompanied my kid's Drama Class on a field trip to B'More to see Shen Yun two Saturdays ago and it was fucking unbelievable!

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Normally I hate theater (mostly because I hate being in a suit for hours on end), but I accompanied my kid's Drama Class on a field trip to B'More to see Shen Yun two Saturdays ago and it was fucking unbelievable!

I hope you wear sunglasses and pretend you are Mr Hughes (or Killer Kyle).

• 1 month later...

With wife:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night

One Man, Two Guvnors

In The Heights

Wicked

Singin' in the Rain

Othello

Macbeth

Merrily We Roll Along

Phantom of the Opera (in NY)

Otherwise:

Inherit the Wind (with Kevin Spacey...)

Les Miserables

We Will Rock You (...awful)

As school teacher:

Hamlet

Little Shop of Horrors

Lord of the Flies

On 2017-03-22 at 7:26 AM, Red is Dead said:

The producers - twice. once in manchester with peter Kaye playing Roger De Bris which was awesome stuff.

Shrek the musical

Macbeth.

Midsummer nights dream

Waiting for godot with Stewart and McKellan. 

Have also got tickets to see the two harry potter plays on 23rd Feb next year in London. 

Hot damn, really? That must have been something.

• 3 months later...

You can now add Aladdin to the list.

Got bought tickets for the born day from Wifey. 

Anything that didnt have genie in it.....meh. Jasmine and al were overpowered by the music. 

Genie did the memory of RW proud. I lost my shit at the end of friend like me when they did the dance routine .Proper old style hoofin'

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My wife and I saw Fun Home this weekend and it was goddamned great.  The entire cast was tremendous, especially the girl playing Small Alison.  Coincidentally the woman playing adult Alison was also Angelica in the Chicago production of Hamilton we saw last year.