DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Roman Wins LOL - 3/20/17

Dolfan in NYC

Regarding the crowd is it possible they turned their sound down at points?  They were pretty quiet but given it's Brooklyn they're known for some wacky chants.  I thought for sure we'd hear something when New Day was out but that wasn't the case.  Considering the ones that did make air (though not that loud) muting them might have been a good idea.  And no matter how bad a show is they can piss off for doing the wave during Bayley's match.

30 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And no matter how bad a show is they can piss off for doing the wave during Bayley's match.

No, I blame Stephanie 100%. Bayley saying she admired Stephanie for being a strong woman? Stephanie has been the exact opposite of what Bayley is supposed to be. What is admirable about Stephanie's character? Get the fuck outta here with that shit. Can you imagine the type of backlash there would have been if Austin or The Rock never got the better of Vince? When Big Steph's music hits, you can hear the life being sucked out of the crowd because it's always going to be the same; Steph looks brilliant while whomever is opposing her looks like a fucking goon.

• Like 3

The Austin/Vince thing is so spot on. Steph should be treated by the women as Vince was treated by the men. And it should be consistent - as it was with Vince - not just some giant build-up to a quick payoff that Steph makes up for the next night on Raw.

The only thing this show had going for it was the Xavier joke, Y2J Teen Idol, and the cruiser stuff. Well, minus the passport bit.

• Like 1

I'm in the minority, but I still enjoy Stephanie/Hunter heeling it up.  Honestly, that's probably the thing I've enjoyed the most since the company began building for WrestleManai (well, AJ, but....).  Granted, that says a lot about how disinterested I am in WrestleMania this year, but still...

• Like 1

Basically, if you're not Roman, you're fucked, and even then they don't do him any favors with how he's booked. Just looking at the Raw side, plus a little bit more than that, they've botched they easiest of layups. Bayley is just dead in the water. They've killed anything that was unique about her. Braun has been one of the hottest acts coming up over the last few months and his momentum has been killed. Nakamura continues doing fuck all in developmental to the point he isn't that special anymore. Sami Zayn is...whatever the fuck he is. And there's more, but I may as well stop there. People can say that it doesn't matter or it's the same shit different day, but really, you don't get second chances to strike while the iron is hot. Every moment you let something cool off, the harder it is to make it something special again, to the point where it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy and you're eventually proven right for not pushing someone to the moon.

You have to exercise some caution and not just strap a rocket on everyone's back who gets hot for a period of time, but you have to take the shot when you have it. If they booked the pre-Attitude period like they do now, we would have never had Austin or the Rock. At some point, you have to at least take the shot at getting someone over and making someone into a big deal. I think things would have been better if Braun went over clean at Fastlane and they still rematched last night. Undertaker still wins, there's no clear winner, and Braun stays looming waiting for Roman to finish up with Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Then the story is that Roman is "ready" for Braun. This shit isn't that difficult. Instead, Braun has lost clean, chumped out when the Undertaker came out to confront Roman weeks ago, and then got put out last night with a chokeslam from Undertaker. It's just so frustrating watching this instead of seeing what they could do.

• Like 2

Oh, and fuck that HHH promo. Once again they make these horrendously dumb decisions with creative. HHH's promo was great and it would have stayed great if he didn't turn around and present an opportunity to Seth. What in the fuck was that all about? HHH, as the heel, should duck the fight with Seth and opt for cheap shots. He should have continued walking out of that ring and then bring out Seth next week to say there is a way for them to fight and it's an unsanctioned bout. HHH comes out and then agrees to it. That's it! That's all they had to fucking do, but once again, HHH holds all of the cards and the faces just look like a bunch of punk bitches.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh, and fuck that HHH promo. Once again they make these horrendously dumb decisions with creative. HHH's promo was great and it would have stayed great if he didn't turn around and present an opportunity to Seth. What in the fuck was that all about? HHH, as the heel, should duck the fight with Seth and opt for cheap shots. He should have continued walking out of that ring and then bring out Seth next week to say there is a way for them to fight and it's an unsanctioned bout. HHH comes out and then agrees to it. That's it! That's all they had to fucking do, but once again, HHH holds all of the cards and the faces just look like a bunch of punk bitches.

HHH is still the best promo guy on RAW.  If not for a couple SD guys like Cena or Miz he'd probably still be the best promo in the whole company.  Heyman is the only other guy who comes close, and he's just an advocate.  Foley can cut a good emotional promo but can't wrestle to pay it off.  So the fact that HHH is basically the only guy who can promo himself into a money match anymore, and be able to also wrestle the match, is a sad state of affairs in the WWE. He's not intentionally trying to punk anyone, he's just legitimately better than the entire roster at promo-ing for his matches.

• Like 2

Just now, SolidGoldBomb said:

HHH is still the best promo guy on RAW.  If not for a couple SD guys like Cena or Miz he'd probably still be the best promo in the whole company.

Yeah, that promo up until the offer to Seth was money. I loved him heeling on the crowd saying that it's their fault Foley's all fucked up and it's their fault Seth's all fucked up too. That was great and it's not something you hear a lot. It's kind of the "you're not wrong, you're just an asshole" type of thing. I just hated taking the obvious face promo from Seth and doing it himself with finding a way for them to fight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Vince McMahon: booking genius may be the greatest myth in wrestling history.

It is now. At one point I would have agreed with it, but he's still doing the promoter thing where he's trying to manipulate the audience into seeing the thing he wants to see. Except that shit doesn't work when you label your audience the "universe," you give the a voice online, you cater more to online fans, and those fans aren't going to take everything you're shoveling to them anymore. The Roman push is the best example of that. The fans wanted Roman when he was hot and they failed to pull the trigger with him until way too late. Hell, they actually succeeded in getting Roman over with the Brock match to the point where Brock and Roman turned the crowd to get them behind Roman, and they still fucked that up by having Seth come out. I still love that ending to Wrestlemania, but if Roman wins, I'm going to be just as happy if not happier with Roman winning. They audible when they shouldn't and don't when they should and that's been a problem for years now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, that promo up until the offer to Seth was money. I loved him heeling on the crowd saying that it's their fault Foley's all fucked up and it's their fault Seth's all fucked up too. That was great and it's not something you hear a lot. It's kind of the "you're not wrong, you're just an asshole" type of thing. I just hated taking the obvious face promo from Seth and doing it himself with finding a way for them to fight.

That would be the traditional route yes, but I still liked HHH's promo because it was so in character.  He's such a narcissist that he will totally absolve himself of any blame for crippling Foley or Seth and blame it all on the audience. Paraphrasing.... "I didn't cripple anyone, you all crippled them by cheering them on to do stupid things, like facing THE GAME!  Just the way you all will encourage Seth to kill himself at Mania for your enjoyment!".  He wants to punish the audience for their stupidity of not realizing his superiority, and for their ignorance or indefference toward the destruction he will cause to their champion. 

He's the Cerebral Assassin, always 2 steps ahead of everyone, and has thought out every babyface angle for a comeback.  He knows Seth is going to do this obvious face promo again, and risk his future career and he is prepared for those contingencies also. He's still playing his role perfectly, and him taunting Seth with this contract is a great storytelling device.  And it's just good advertising for the final Raw before Mania.  HHH isn't going to play the chicken shit heel and beg off from a fight here, he wants Rollins in a street fight so he can end his career at Mania and show the WWE he can create stars and he can destroy stars.  Narcissism run wild.

But don't you think Seth is ultimately going to get his revenge and get over on HHH?

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That's a joke, right?

He put over Bryan, Reigns, Taker, he does what's best for business.

Honestly, even if somehow Seth doesn't win at Mania....who cares?  He's not going anywhere, They will just extend the feud some more, pro-wrestling 101. 

But since you ignored everything I had to say to reinforce your Triple Hatred

HHH is the man, he should put himself over everyone on the roster in a 100 on 1 gauntlet match at Mania, then maybe it would so enrage marks like you, you could stop watching WWE forever and the rest of us would be saved from the endless bitcHHHing.  Win-Win

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

Honestly, even if somehow Seth doesn't win at Mania....who cares?  He's not going anywhere, They will just extend the feud some more, pro-wrestling 101. 

HHH is the man, he should put himself over everyone on the roster in a 100 on 1 gauntlet match at Mania, then maybe it would so enrage marks like you, you could stop watching WWE forever and the rest of us would be saved from the endless bitcHHHing.  Win-Win

Spoiler

that-escalated-quickly.jpg

For what it's worth, I've really been into this feud during the limited time Hunter's been on screen. Less is definitely more with him at this point. Also, those saying Triple H proposing the match was a misstep are on the money. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

I don't have to respond to every line of what you typed out because doing so would be a pointless exercise. If I didn't respond to much of anything else, chances are I either agreed with it, which I said already, or it wasn't worth the response. The last line of what you typed out was worth responding to (and I knew exactly what your retort would be) because of how much it doesn't reflect reality.

I'm also one of the biggest defenders of HHH on here, but even this shit as of late has been hard to swallow. I mean, you can say he's put over Daniel Bryan, but at Wrestlemania, he immediately got his heat back, and the next night on Raw, he and Steph were already back to undermining Bryan and making him look weak. Referencing that he put over Taker is odd because Taker was already over and didn't really need the rub. There are instances where HHH puts a dude over, but we're not in year whateverthefuck of HHH and Steph getting one over on damn near everyone and they're never truly losing because Steph is always a winner. She rarely gets what is coming to her. They're the ruling couple of WWE and that's never going to change. Hell, the one time they "lost" and had to leave the show, they were back in a few weeks anyway.

As for the possibility of Seth losing and him not going anywhere, that's precisely the point I made earlier. You can't just keep saying that it doesn't matter because they're not leaving or who cares because they'll eventually win. That's just the same rote process of kicking the can down the road they've been handicapping themselves with for years now and it's caused them to lose out on huge opportunities.

Everything else you said couldn't be further from the truth considering I'm typically the last person to bitch about HHH and have been one of his bigger fans on here for years now. But that's fine, you can take the one fucking time I went "LOLOLOLOL" in response to your question about Seth going over to assume I've always been this huge hater or whatever the fuck.

• Like 1

LOLOLOLOLOLOL OK in all fairness you're pretty level headed in your WWE criticism and not as bad as many "fans" online, who seem to watch WWE only to find things to complain about.  But thanks to the internet I can totally understand how guys like Vince & HHH would have nothing but utter contempt for these certain groups of WWE "fans", and do everything they can to fuck with them for fun.  

They keep trying to get rid of all these belly-aching marks so they don't have to hear it anymore, but they just never leave! 

4 minutes ago, bink_winkleman said:

HHH is not, nor has he ever been, a better promo than Jericho.

The fact that HHH's boring ass comes off as one of the better WWE promos these days is testament to how shitty promos have gotten, not to how good he is.

I considered Jericho also, he's better than HHH at comedy, entertainment, schtick, timing, showing ass and probably some other areas.  But HHH is better at the serious stuff.

And yeah I agree, it's a problem when all the best promo guys are all the old generation.

• Like 1