DVDVR Message Board

The Paige "Scandal" Thread Because Y'all Can't Help Yourselves and Keep Talking About It No Matter How Many Times We Move On

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL I don't think anyone said that.   That's some strawman shit.  My analogy maybe should have been clearer, like "don't put  a Scrooge McDuck pot of gold on the living room floor and leave the door wide open."

There's a very short list of crimes where the immediate response is to blame the victim, and they've all got something in common.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's not wrong to ask why they took those picture or why it wasn't securely backed up. 

My ass it isn't. What business is it of yours why someone decides to take a picture of themselves?

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't think it's a zero sum game.  One can be against the act of burglary while still being for having good locks and not leaving the box your 65" LCD came in out on the curb.  Do I think stealing and posting someone's private images is wrong? Of course.  Do I think taking nude selfies on an unsecured device that is connected to the entire world and is easily hacked is dumb?  Likewise, yes, especially when the device also syncs to external storage you have zero control over.  

And why wear that short dress and walk down that poorly-lit street, women? That was dumb.

And why wear a hoodie on your walk to get some candy, black kid? You were asking for it. Just as dumb as playing with a toy gun outside.

Etc., etc.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

But can't it be both. Theft is wrong but if you have something very valuable you should make sure you have a good security system. 

Sure, but I shouldn't have to. 

There is nothing ethically wrong with leaving my car unlocked. There is a whole lot ethically wrong with taking an unlocked car that doesn't belong to me. It is my ethical responsibility to refrain from taking someone else's stuff just because, hey, it is there!

There is nothing ethically wrong with taking nudes of myself. There is something ethically wrong with accessing and disseminating someone else's nudes if they did not give express permission for me to do so. 

It is really quite simple. Don't blame victims for not having done enough in your eyes to avoid victimization. Blame the asshole who saw a chance to do something unethical and decided to take it. S/he is the person who needs advice.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

And why wear that short dress and walk down that poorly-lit street, women? That was dumb.

And why wear a hoodie on your walk to get some candy, black kid? You were asking for it. Just as dumb as playing with a toy gun outside.

Etc., etc.

Ah, the Internet.  Where everything is black and white and saying "maybe secure your shit better" is exactly the same as "that bitch deserved to get raped for wearing a short skirt."

Seriously, go fuck yourself if you think I'm the guy who'd blame a rape victim or Trayvon Martin for their fates.  Maybe go find the now closed post- election thread to see who I am, because I'm not what you're characterizing me as.  That is seriously fucked up, dude.  

LOL.  I just went from apparently being "pro common sense" to "pro rape and murder."  Damn.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

My ass it isn't. What business is it of yours why someone decides to take a picture of themselves?

It's none of my business. And I should have clarified better, these aren't questions I'd ask them.  Maybe if anybody at most it'd be WWE higher-ups considering it's their employees.  But the best thing to do (which they have done in all others cases) is say "Hey, we support you and we'll track the hackers down."

And on that note I'm dropping out of this conversation.  I'm in no way implying we should blame the victim and am bothered by the idea that somebody would think otherwise.

Maybe it's best if we just switch gears and focus on something else wrestling-related.

• Like 1

The short skirt analogy doesn't 100% work because these types of invasions of privacy are so common with female wrestlers. It's really sad but if you are a female wrestler it should be assumed the scum of the earth are trying to anonymously break into your devices. 

So, you are welcome to leave your car unlocked but don't be surprised if someone steals it. 

It's a screwed up world. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Ah, the Internet.  Where everything is black and white and "maybe secure your shit better" is exactly the same as "that bitch deserved to get raped for wearing a short skirt."

Seriously, go fuck yourself if you think I'm the guy who'd blame a rape victim or Trayvon Martin for their fates.  Maybe go find the now closed post- election thread to see who I am, because I'm not what you're characterizing me as.  That is seriously fucked up, dude.  

And yet, you are using the same language as those other apologists that you disdain so much.

I don't want to get this thread closed, so all I will say is that, rather than going and fucking yourself, you stop hiding behind a thread where you said some appropriately disapproving things about Trump and think about why your posts here are, sigh, problematic. We all have to stop and think about stuff like this. I had to do so myself on this topic. No judgment here, but a simple plea to think about what you are saying here.