DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

If you didn't catch the August 6th Colbert Report, find a replay and watch it.Daft Punk was scheduled to appear and got pulled by MTV because they wanted them exclusive for the Video Awards. Colbert proceeded to verbally dismantle his own parent corp., followed by a dance number featuring Hugh Laurie, Ashton Kutcher, Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges, the Rockettes, Jimmy Fallon, the cast of AGT, Jon Stewart, etc. Followed by a surprise musical replacement. Damnedest half hour of tv I ever saw.

That was the funniest "Fuck you" I've ever seen.

Agreed with both posts. That show was fantastic, and a massive middle finger to MTV Networks at the same time.

Maybe it was really just an elaborate cross-promotional ad according to one theory

Consider the evidence: Vince Gilligan, Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn of “Breaking Bad” fame and appeared on “Charlie Rose” Friday night. Cranston, meanwhile, was a guest on Colbert's show on Aug. 1 and on “Tonight” Monday, suggesting he most likely taped his roller-skating routine while in New York last week. And while Comedy Central, Colbert and MTV declined to comment on the matter, a spokesperson for NBC confirmed that the segment of the “Get Lucky” video in which Colbert strutted across the stage of “America’s Got Talent” was taped July 31 — a full five days before Daft Punk reportedly canceled. Then there’s Henry Kissinger, who, judging by the prehistoric phone and non-existent computer on his desk, is not an easy man to get in touch with at the last minute.So while the evidence suggests the “Get Lucky” video was in the works before Daft Punk bailed on Colbert, it doesn’t mean the entire incident was a hoax — only that Colbert skillfully used the video to save face.

Also

Sources tell Billboard that Thicke's "Colbert" performance of his No. 1 hit "Blurred Lines" was actually taped last Tuesday (July 31), when the singer was in New York promoting his new album "Blurred Lines" (Thicke also stopped by "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" last week to perform his single with Fallon and the Roots)

Was it the plan all along or was it reworking footage that had already shot?

The Jeselnik Offensive is my kind of show. Anthony Jeselnik is what I'd be like if I were a stand-up comic, except with more smiling and fewer rape jokes.

Yeah, I'm a fan. He has a schtick, it works, he's fucking funny, and I always like the comics who go out and do the jokes that they say in private.

I hope they wrap up Siberia this season, cuz it's not looking good for a season 2. The last episode had 1.8 million viewers. For comparison, Under The Dome had over 10 million.

Its only really a one season show.  I can't see them dragging this out more than one season since they can't really add cast (unless they drop the reality format and go "found footage" of people going to find out what happened to the last batch.)

I hope they wrap up Siberia this season, cuz it's not looking good for a season 2. The last episode had 1.8 million viewers. For comparison, Under The Dome had over 10 million.

Like Raziel said, the format of this show only lends itself one season anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Gzs8MxWxk

I thought last season was great. Jessica Lange did an amazing job and I can't wait to see her chewing up the scenery with Kathy Bates. Add in Lily Rabe as a sexy, vixen wiccan and a cameo by Pepper and I'll be a happy camper.

Don't forget Patti Lupone. Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange, and Patti Lupone. If they did a "making of season 3" documentary, there would be a good chance that it would be scarier than anything in the actual show. 

Like Raziel said, the format of this show only lends itself one season anyway.

You could say the same thing about Under The Dome, but that's getting a second season.

so, random thought. the kids in Scooby Doo are often referred to as "Mystery, Inc."

but i can not EVER recall hearing this name used in the cartoons themselves. the first time i remember hearing "Mystery Inc" was around '96 when Cartoon Network was gaining traction, and i didn't know who they were talking about. Any ideas how/where/when this came from and how it came to be the standard?

So yeah, Cutthroat Kitchen on Food TV is fucking awesome. Love the gimmick of the auctions (baskets to steal other contestants' food with, crappy food ingredients to make an opponent use, forcing them to bake items from scratch etc)... it's hysterical because none of the chefs are particularly likable and only too willing to put the screws to everyone for the sake of advancing.

I am now up to the final season of Dawson's Creek. Watching on TBS, I really really hated Busy Phillips drunk story arc. She was introduced in the previous season and was tolerable enough for a new character added in a late season. But in season 6, she is the most irritating character in TV history, because they really nailed how an alcoholic behaves. I'm not sure I can finish the series. 

Well, Sibera kills off the "Producers are in on it" theory.  Or at least, the Producers were doing something, but ran afoul of the now identified big bad, and shit hit the fan.  

However, they kinda telegraphed that at least the cameramen survive, and that's how we're still getting edited together footage with the reality drop in's.