DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm fairly surprised folks like Ray Donovan.  The actors are good, the subject matter can be interesting at times, but the main failing of the show is there is absolutely no joy or humor anywhere on the entire show.  Breaking Bad and The Sopranos asked a lot of the viewer to root for morally deficient characters, but they were successful because there were many moments of levity, decency, and humor from time to time to offset the ugliness.  This show is bleak as bleak gets it terms of tone, and the characters are incessantly downers.  Even Terry can't catch a break when the nurse is married, etc. 

Some good or funny stuff HAS to happen to a character on a show from time to time.  Bad Lieutenant was as bleak a movie as you can get, but at least there were the Mets radio subplot bits in Keitel's car that were hilarious. 

This show's producers would have cut those bits out. 

By the end of a Ray Donovan episode I look like Castillo in my sig. 

Is anyone else watching Orphan Black? Pretty fun.

The storyline is a bit predictable, but balanced out by how amazing Tatiana Maslany is in the lead role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do_BCA-vR9E

AS A FOLLOW UP now that I've wrapped the first season, the show didn't end up being very predictable at all. Worth watching.

I'll take the ass kicking that comes with saying I like The Newsroom.

I want to still like it, but I don't think I've seen a show take such a spectacular nosedive in quality as The Newsroom has from last season to this one.

I only care about Suits and think we should talk about nothing else until Game of Thrones comes back.

I've really enjoyed the past few episodes.  Wish I had watched the show before this.  I kinda know who the characters are & what the relationships are, but not enough to really appreciate the backstories.

The Newsroom is SOOO bad. Just, ugh, just awful. Truly awful. 

As for Ray Donovan and the lack of humor, I see what Mag 7 is saying. The first episode was rather humorous in a dark comedy sort of way. Mickey's behavior was so creepy and outrageous it was almost funny. Ray himself displayed a dry sense of humor. Ezra was quirky and eccentric. Since then, Mickey is just a grade A creep and there's nothing remotely funny about his actions. Ray has the grim reaper's sense of humor. And Ezra is not quirky and eccentric, he's slowly slipping away, depressingly so too. I think the intent is to have these characters do funny or off things, but they're almost too effective in making the lives of each character so bleak and it completely washes away anything that you could find humorous in an irreverent sort of way. I still like the show a ton. It's really compelling and interesting, but yeah, it's not going to cheer you up.

And Low Winter Sun sounds like The Shield. I'm in.

New season of Strike Back starts this Friday on Cinemax.  I was kinda disappointed with the conclusion to the Conrad Knox dealie, but i am hopefull this will be a good run.

At least Michelle Lukes is back as SGT Julia Richmond.

If you didn't catch the August 6th Colbert Report, find a replay and watch it.

Daft Punk was scheduled to appear and got pulled by MTV because they wanted them exclusive for the Video Awards. Colbert proceeded to verbally dismantle his own parent corp., followed by a dance number featuring Hugh Laurie, Ashton Kutcher, Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges, the Rockettes, Jimmy Fallon, the cast of AGT, Jon Stewart, etc. Followed by a surprise musical replacement. Damnedest half hour of tv I ever saw.

• Like 3

If you didn't catch the August 6th Colbert Report, find a replay and watch it.Daft Punk was scheduled to appear and got pulled by MTV because they wanted them exclusive for the Video Awards. Colbert proceeded to verbally dismantle his own parent corp., followed by a dance number featuring Hugh Laurie, Ashton Kutcher, Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges, the Rockettes, Jimmy Fallon, the cast of AGT, Jon Stewart, etc. Followed by a surprise musical replacement. Damnedest half hour of tv I ever saw.

Well that was well worth watching.Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone watching the final season of BBC's "Being Human"? Nothing against the new characters but it's just not the show it used to be. It's still better than the US version. The only thing that had going for it was Mark Pellegrino as Bishop.

Well, the end of last week threw out my theory that the Producers were in on it, but yeah...

Can the weasly DJ dude that's starting to go insane because he found the totems get his neck snapped by Mossad chick soon?

If you didn't catch the August 6th Colbert Report, find a replay and watch it.Daft Punk was scheduled to appear and got pulled by MTV because they wanted them exclusive for the Video Awards. Colbert proceeded to verbally dismantle his own parent corp., followed by a dance number featuring Hugh Laurie, Ashton Kutcher, Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges, the Rockettes, Jimmy Fallon, the cast of AGT, Jon Stewart, etc. Followed by a surprise musical replacement. Damnedest half hour of tv I ever saw.

That was the funniest "Fuck you" I've ever seen.