DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Newsroom is going nowhere this season.  Instead of getting everything magically right, the whole season is based around them fucking something up drastically that's going to have no bearing in the future, really, all because a few people are brooding and some unrealistic situations.

Camp, on the other hand, is way more fun than I thought it was gonna be.

I had a Bob's Burgers marathon today on Netflix. It's really funny stuff. Here's hoping it sticks around.

I really, really love this show.  Was house-sitting for my sister/brother-in-law and they have the worst TV channels, so I just watched all the Bob's Burgers they had on DVR, even though I'd seen them all 1-2 times.  It was better than anything else that was on.

Needed some low-attention TV while I work on other stuff, so I've been going through random first season eps of SNL.  "Garrett Morris Visits the CIA" and the landshark bits are still about as amazing as I remember.  Holy shit are those Muppet bits bad.

Also finally watched the first couple eps of Parks and Rec.  Everyone says it doesn't really go over the wall until season two; so far it's been enjoyable but not blowaway.

ETA: I like this Swanson guy.  We have a similar outlook on being a civil servant.

I started watching America's Got Talent last year because of Stern, and now it's a total guilty pleasure. And that Mel B. is amazing hot.

I'm one of the biggest Stern fans there could be but he's pretty boring on AGT. Radio Howard would pull the parents of those ballroom dancing kids on stage and give them shit. AGT Howard loved them, I couldn't believe it.

Allison Pill is the worst. THE WORST. And the funniest thing about her/it is this muppet of a person made herself look exactly like a muppet with her appearance in the first episode.

Nothing about this show is good. Anything interesting has been replaced with shitty romance sub-plots. The Newsroom should just be Sam Waterson and Jeff Daniels tearing it up each week, and instead, Sam Waterson is the only one without a romance sub-plot and he and Daniels were made to look like complete boobs in the last episode.

I would pull a near total reboot of the show and just have Olivia Munn, Allison Pill, the dude who was dating Allison Pill, the dude who is pining for Allison Pill, and maybe even Neal and just have them all die in a fire. The show then focuses on Will and Charlie wanting to get the news right, not always doing so, but battling it out with two new characters to replace Jane Fonda and her son because those two characters died in a drowning. The new boss at ACN is played by Bradley Whitford being a complete dick and his underling is played by Adam Brody being a snarky dick. Oh, and Will's new producer is played by John Goodman. Why? Why not, I say! Oh, what happened with Emily Mortimer? She went to a different network.

I guess you need some women for this show, so get Allison Janney on board. And which actress could use a decent boost because their movie career stagnated...Hmmm...What's Christina Ricci up to? Courtney Cox? Meg Ryan? And none of them get romantically involved. 

There must also be a rival network. A Fox News to their MSNBC, if you will. The big bad over there is played by either Dr. Cox (name escapes me at the moment) or Jeff Goldblum or both. Then you throw in Lena Olin or Marla Sokolof (random, I know) as the big bad female reporter over there. 

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone recall a syndicated Halloween special from the early 80s called "BOO!" or "BOO TO YOU!"?

I recall coming home from Trick or Treating and there being some kind of Vampire and wolfman involved.  It was a sketch show mainly, and I recall it being kind-of a Laugh-in type show, because they'd go back to the theme song(Boo! Boo to you!)/dance party when going to break.

It's been bugging the shit out of me for well over a decade, and because of Disney it's nearly impossible to Google "Boo To You!"

Anyone?

I enjoyed In The Loop so much I started watching its TV source The Thick of It. Really good fun and if these rumors of Peter Capaldi beign the next Doctor are true, well then I'm on board!

James

I had completely forgotten about SIBERIA until seeing I had it on my DVR. This week's episode was interesting. and I wonder what former WWE writers are on the staff, given the direction the show is going in.

I'm also wondering when Joss Wheedon took over as show runner.

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone recall a syndicated Halloween special from the early 80s called "BOO!" or "BOO TO YOU!"?

I recall coming home from Trick or Treating and there being some kind of Vampire and wolfman involved.  It was a sketch show mainly, and I recall it being kind-of a Laugh-in type show, because they'd go back to the theme song(Boo! Boo to you!)/dance party when going to break.

It's been bugging the shit out of me for well over a decade, and because of Disney it's nearly impossible to Google "Boo To You!"

Anyone?

I love a good Google challenge, but unfortunately I've come up with nothing. Even taking out Mickey Mouse, Winnie The Pooh and Honey Boo Boo, nothing comes up. You mentioned Laugh-In. They had a Halloween special in 1970. Maybe it was that?

Anyway, here's a website that may help you out - http://rarehalloweenvideos.blogspot.ca/

I'm probably the only one but I loved the 90s Flash show. I even bought the super-expensive complete first season box set. Rewatching it recently, the show got off to a rocky start by trying to toe the line between Batman '66 and Burton Bats and trying to force feed us a romantic subplot between Barry and Amanda Pays' character (which the producers eventually realized was a non-starter because they brought in the hottie from the movie "Just One Of The Guys" by season's end) but by the tail end of the season when they started digging into the Rogue's Gallery  - Mark Hamill's great second ep as Trickster, Captain Cold, Mirror Master - the show was getting really good. I think it would've picked up steam had there been a second season.

I look forward to what Berlanti would do with a new Flash show (although it'll probably be CSI crossed with superheroics) because he's done a tremendous job with Arrow. It doesn't get talked about much here but I thought Arrow's first season was fantastic. The Villain of the Week rut made the first 8-9 episodes pretty unmemorable but once they brought in Slade (the actor playing him is awesome), Roy Harper, and expanded Barrowman's role, everything began to click. I'm really looking forward to season 2 even though for some reason they're bringing in the Sci-Fi Kiss of Death, Summer Glau.

I hope when they eventually get around to a Justice League movie they let Stephen Amell cross over in a small supporting role ala Hawkeye in "Avengers." If nothing else, he looks kinda like Chris Evans and is way more physically imposing than Jeremy Renner.  

Probably nothing since the Flash movie was likely never more than a rumor. If they do another movie that isn't just Batman or Superman it will likely be either Wonder Woman or Justice League.