DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Literally the only good thing about LOW WINTER SUN is that it gives the criminally underrated and underutilized James Ransone a high profile part. It's even a different sort of part for him - an actual competent human being, instead of the fuckwits and burnouts he usually plays.

So, the WHODUNNIT finale played out like I thought it would, with the killer being someone who would have never actually been able to do things the way it was supposed to have happened.

I'm OK with who won, and actually feel a little bad for the one that didn't.

Holy shit...

Lee Thompson Young, the former star of late '90s Disney Channel series The Famous Jett Jackson, was found dead of an apparent gunshot wound at his home in Los Angeles Monday. According to TMZ, authorities say the wound appears to have been self-inflicted.

Prior to his death, Young had appeared as a series regular on TNT's Rizzoli & Isles, portraying homicide detective Barry Frost. Production staff reportedly contacted Young's landlord after the actor failed to turn up for work. The landlord discovered his body.

Young was 29 years old.

http://gawker.com/jett-jackson-star-dies-in-apparent-suicide-1167288890

I know there is a Breaking Bad thread, but I'm not up to that point yet. I did start watching again and am super addicted. I'm in season 3 where Gus asks the cartel not to go after Walter just yet and Skylar goes up to Walter at the end and says 

I fucked Ted.

So, a couple of questions.

The end of season 2 and the start of this season have been crazy. Does it get even crazier, in a plausible way anyway? I don't see how they could. And did Skylar's f-bomb go uncensored on the show? If so, other than late night on Comedy Central, that has to be the first time "fuck" or a variation of it has been busted out on a cable channel that isn't HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. I was pretty stunned at that moment. In a series with plenty of shocking moments, that takes the cake.

And I hate Skylar so much. I've never really liked her all that much. She always seemed like she would turn out to be a bitch. Her husband is dying of Cancer, has a big reason why not to take his friend's money, is an underpaid slave to a school that doesn't appreciate him, and he was working two freaking jobs, but she can't be bothered to think beyond any of that. I mean, yes, it isn't cool to lie to your spouse, but Jesus Christ, how to do you begin to broach that topic? Your dumbshit wife really wanted you to get this Cancer treatment and then when there's a surgical procedure to remove the tumors, she says, "Shouldn't we think this over?" REALLY?! Fuck you. Given that, of course he wouldn't know how to bring up something like cooking meth to make the money to make sure his treatments would be paid for and that his family wouldn't be left starving after his death because you damn well know he probably has shit for death benefits from his school because if he said something like that, something that makes sense, Skylar would just lose her shit anyway. And then she jumps immediately to divorce and cheats on Walt? Whatever. Again, fuck her. I hope she's in the wrong place at the wrong time when the cartel hitmen twins show up.

Holy shit...

Lee Thompson Young, the former star of late '90s Disney Channel series The Famous Jett Jackson, was found dead of an apparent gunshot wound at his home in Los Angeles Monday. According to TMZ, authorities say the wound appears to have been self-inflicted.

Prior to his death, Young had appeared as a series regular on TNT's Rizzoli & Isles, portraying homicide detective Barry Frost. Production staff reportedly contacted Young's landlord after the actor failed to turn up for work. The landlord discovered his body.

Young was 29 years old.

http://gawker.com/jett-jackson-star-dies-in-apparent-suicide-1167288890

This is pretty disappointing to hear. I always enjoyed him in whatever roles I saw him in.

I know there is a Breaking Bad thread, but I'm not up to that point yet. I did start watching again and am super addicted. I'm in season 3 where Gus asks the cartel not to go after Walter just yet and Skylar goes up to Walter at the end and says 

I fucked Ted.

So, a couple of questions.

The end of season 2 and the start of this season have been crazy. Does it get even crazier, in a plausible way anyway? I don't see how they could. And did Skylar's f-bomb go uncensored on the show? If so, other than late night on Comedy Central, that has to be the first time "fuck" or a variation of it has been busted out on a cable channel that isn't HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. I was pretty stunned at that moment. In a series with plenty of shocking moments, that takes the cake.

And I hate Skylar so much. I've never really liked her all that much. She always seemed like she would turn out to be a bitch. Her husband is dying of Cancer, has a big reason why not to take his friend's money, is an underpaid slave to a school that doesn't appreciate him, and he was working two freaking jobs, but she can't be bothered to think beyond any of that. I mean, yes, it isn't cool to lie to your spouse, but Jesus Christ, how to do you begin to broach that topic? Your dumbshit wife really wanted you to get this Cancer treatment and then when there's a surgical procedure to remove the tumors, she says, "Shouldn't we think this over?" REALLY?! Fuck you. Given that, of course he wouldn't know how to bring up something like cooking meth to make the money to make sure his treatments would be paid for and that his family wouldn't be left starving after his death because you damn well know he probably has shit for death benefits from his school because if he said something like that, something that makes sense, Skylar would just lose her shit anyway. And then she jumps immediately to divorce and cheats on Walt? Whatever. Again, fuck her. I hope she's in the wrong place at the wrong time when the cartel hitmen twins show up.

Pretty sure all the F-bombs dropped on Breaking Bad were muted on the AMC version.

And yes, Breaking Bad just amps the crazy with each season.  If you're shocked by what you've seen in season 3, you might want to have some oxygen handy for season 4.

Does it get even crazier, in a plausible way anyway? I don't see how they could.

I think Breaking Bad actually really stretches the boundaries of reality, without ever making you go "Oh bullshit, that would never happen". 

I mean, if you think about it, Walt goes from a teacher with cancer working two jobs to

drug kingpin helping take out Mexican cartels and supplying meth to eastern Europe

in like 18 months.  Just seems like this is something that would take a decade or more if it were to ever happen at all.  But, they do it in a way where it makes sense, and you can suspend disbelief.

I also think that, BB starts around season four to ape the Sopranos in the sense that you start watching in anticipation of who is going to die, when, and how. 

So, the WHODUNNIT finale played out like I thought it would, with the killer being someone who would have never actually been able to do things the way it was supposed to have happened.I'm OK with who won, and actually feel a little bad for the one that didn't.

Yeah, he was the best player and deserved to win. Makes you wonder what would have happened if the teams constructed themselves a little differently...

So, the WHODUNNIT finale played out like I thought it would, with the killer being someone who would have never actually been able to do things the way it was supposed to have happened.I'm OK with who won, and actually feel a little bad for the one that didn't.

Yeah, he was the best player and deserved to win. Makes you wonder what would have happened if the teams constructed themselves a little differently...
I thought he came across like a smug asshole and I was rooting for anyone but him. How Lindsay made it to the final 3 (and works as an engineer) I will never know as she doesn't seem like she could find her own ass if you gave her a map. The killer reveal was very anti-climactic too.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but my mom (who is now in her 70's) is confused and thinks Paris and Perez Hilton are the same person and that she had a sex change.

It's both understandable yet so funny that I'm not sure I have the heart to correct her. Half because I hate that I even know who either of those people are, half because it's such a good story I don't want to ruin it..

• Like 1

LOW WINTER SUN is such a generic gritty cop drama. Avoid.AMC is going to be up shit creek when both BREAKING BAD and MAD MEN are gone. Critically, anyway.

So many terrible accents. Lennie James is awful.

Literally the only good thing about LOW WINTER SUN is that it gives the criminally underrated and underutilized James Ransone a high profile part. It's even a different sort of part for him - an actual competent human being, instead of the fuckwits and burnouts he usually plays.

I'm giving the show a chance because I hardly follow any other shows besides Breaking Bad, but why does Lennie James insist on screaming his lines? The accent is phony enough, but he can tone it down a couple notches. I will say that the second episode wasn't as bad as the first. 

When they start casting black British roles on American television, he probably will. I heard he was dreadful on The Walking Dead, and the Grantland article previewing the show railed on him specifically for scene chewing. Well, he is doing an amazing job of it.

I would hate Skylar White less if she would just be honest and say that she's ashamed to be married to someone who looks old and weathered, is too smart for her and she can't identify with his love of science, he isn't adventurous enough, she can't stand living like lower-mid middle class, she doesn't love Walter and hasn't for awhile, him having cancer frustrated her even more because she couldn't up and leave him while he was possibly dying and while she was pregnant, and she just wants a new dick.

Instead, she can't be honest with herself, or anyone else, and she just wants to shack up with Ted, and looks for any out she could possible find to move on from Walter. Walter is drugged up to high heaven before his surgery and makes the "which cell phone" comment. If she wasn't looking for an out, she wouldn't have dug all the way to China to uncover something, anything, based on a tiny remark while Walter was in pre-op. Jesus, the shit I said before I had my gallbladder removed made no sense. I asked my nurse if she was my friend's wife when I normally know full well that my friend's wife isn't a nurse. Shit, she doesn't even work in the medical industry. I also asked them to not put me on an airplane while I was knocked out and wanted to know if they were going to need to shave my face. Why? WHO KNOWS! I was high as a motherfucker to knock me out so they could make 4 little incisions and remove my gallbladder. Did my girlfriend at the time think anything of anything I said? No, because none of it made sense. I bet Skylar is also the type to take offense over shit Walter says in his sleep. And she pushes for this divorce leaving her family and son totally confused because she can't even be bothered to lie and make up a story even though she's been lying to herself for years. Oh, and when she gets home, she has her baby with her. So let me get this straight...she either A) Was way, way, way, way, way late to the babysitter to picking her daughter up so she could get railed by Ted freaking Beneke OR B) She brought her baby with her to Ted's house. EITHER WAY, it's fucked up.

She's the worst and nothing about this storyline says to me that it's going to get any better and the role she has in the show makes me think she isn't going anywhere any time soon. My God, I hate that character so much. The closest comparison I can think of is Corinne in The Shield, except Corinne is completely entitled to everything she does and she should have gotten out much sooner. I never thought Corinne was wrong because her motivations were at least honest. Skylar's take on honesty is as bent and handicapped as her son's physical state. I'm sure Walter probably had the joy of enduring 3 or 4 years of passive aggressive blame for Walter Jr's physical condition after Jr. was born. Ugh...Where I hated Lori in The Walking Dead because of how dumb she was, I hate Skylar so much more because she's a bigger villain, at this point anyway, than anyone who was out for Walter's head.

By the way, still on the Breaking Bad tip, what was everyone's opinion when:

Walter just let Jesse's girlfriend die, which lead to the plane crash, and then Jesse spends the first few episodes of season 3 constantly calling her cell phone just to hear her voice. That has to be in the top 3 of the most sad and fucked up turn of events to ever air on TV.

Siberia this week:

The nomad tribe shot down a helicopter?  Ok then.  

Model chick has to be the absolutley dumbest bitch in existance, not only still "playing the game", but believing that slimy insane DJ dude would be believed when it came down to the revealer key, so she let him go... AFTER HE TRIED TO KILL SOMEONE ALREADY... AND SHE DRUGGED THE FUCKING GROUP.  Mossad chick needs to start snapping necks.

And its obivious that Sam or injured chick is the one that dies next week.

Holy fuck, Strike Back.  They killed off Rebecca Levi, the hot Mossad agent. She died in Scott's arms reciting the Sh'ma. 

Rebecca asking for water to rinse off her hands so she wouldn't die with blood on them tore me up.  I had to go outside and do a lap around the lake near my apartment complex.

Siberia this week: The nomad tribe shot down a helicopter?  Ok then.   Model chick has to be the absolutley dumbest bitch in existance, not only still "playing the game", but believing that slimy insane DJ dude would be believed when it came down to the revealer key, so she let him go... AFTER HE TRIED TO KILL SOMEONE ALREADY... AND SHE DRUGGED THE FUCKING GROUP.  Mossad chick needs to start snapping necks. And its obivious that Sam or injured chick is the one that dies next week.

Yeah, Esther is evil & incredibly stupid. Not a good combination. If she's that worried about the creepy dude, why doesn't she kill him, then untie him and say he attacked her? She's got at least one of the cameramen in her back pocket.So apparently whomever is controlling everything can make it snow a foot overnight in the middle of summer.

By the way, still on the Breaking Bad tip, what was everyone's opinion when:

Walter just let Jesse's girlfriend die, which lead to the plane crash, and then Jesse spends the first few episodes of season 3 constantly calling her cell phone just to hear her voice. That has to be in the top 3 of the most sad and fucked up turn of events to ever air on TV.

I think more than anything else, that showed that Jesse really did care about her for real, despite the fact that

she died not because of Walt, but because Jesse got her using again.  If she never met Jesse, she would probably be alive still. 

I don't want to expand on that anymore, because it will spoil future events for you. 

LOL

I did a search starting with "Skyler White is a" and the top results were:

"awful"

"ugly"

"so annoying"

"a hypocrite"

"an idiot"

Adding to the fun are the top 3 Facebook pages when searching for Skyler White:

"I Hate Skyler White"

"Fuck Skyler White"

"Kill Off Skyler Argo"

I'm now a happier person tonight.

I fucking hate the trend lately of dudes on the internet irrationally hating on flawed female characters on TV shows, yet giving the flawed men a pass. Your man up there writes a fricking diatribe about how Skylar cheating on Walt makes her a cunt, but then mentions in passing that Walt letting the girlfriend die is only a bit fucked up. I mean, at that stage in the show, how many people has Walt killed, both directly and indirectly? And yet no one ever goes off on hate filled Walt rants.

Same thing happened with Betty Draper when Don has done much worse things, and presumably the same happened in The Shield and probably other shows too.

• Like 5