DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

I've been meaning to get around to VEEP, since I'm an Armando Ianucci fan. Is it just like The Thick of It transplanted to the U.S.? Or it is distinct in itself?

It's the distinct but in the same style. It follows the Vice President around.

Everyone in it is fucking great.

I've been meaning to get around to VEEP, since I'm an Armando Ianucci fan. Is it just like The Thick of It transplanted to the U.S.? Or it is distinct in itself?

It's the distinct but in the same style. It follows the Vice President around.

Everyone in it is fucking great.

Cheers, I'll check it out.

Favorite VEEP line off the top of my head:

"We're at Defcon Fuck!"

That's a good one. I think my favorite episode is still the one where you find out Jonah is into the hardcore punk scene and Dan is somewhat mortified to be hanging out with him.

Well, Sibera kills off the "Producers are in on it" theory.  Or at least, the Producers were doing something, but ran afoul of the now identified big bad, and shit hit the fan.   However, they kinda telegraphed that at least the cameramen survive, and that's how we're still getting edited together footage with the reality drop in's.

I think the most logical thing is a local tribe going after the cast, while exec. producers are cutting them off so no one can tell what happened, since Tommy died and the one girl got badly hurt, leaving them open to massive lawsuits and ruining their careers.Now as for who can nuke a beacon without anyone noticing...

Well, Sibera kills off the "Producers are in on it" theory.  Or at least, the Producers were doing something, but ran afoul of the now identified big bad, and shit hit the fan.   However, they kinda telegraphed that at least the cameramen survive, and that's how we're still getting edited together footage with the reality drop in's.

I think the most logical thing is a local tribe going after the cast, while exec. producers are cutting them off so no one can tell what happened, since Tommy died and the one girl got badly hurt, leaving them open to massive lawsuits and ruining their careers.Now as for who can nuke a beacon without anyone noticing...

Was the becon tower suddenly bombed and no one noticed, or was the most-likely what's jamming the radio tower on the other side of the really fucking huge crater?

Its a pretty safe bet that the Nomadic Tribe that bouncer dude read about in the book is what's found them and is fucking with them for fun.  They either got the Producers, or they ran and left everyone else to rot.

Turning the dude crazy would've worked if he didn't spend most of the show up to his heel turn being a whiny pussy.  And if they didn't establish Mossad-girl being able to snap his neck with a thought.

They're not abandoning the Reality format though, since they established that the footage is what they're gonna sue the shit out of the Producers with should they get out alive.

The very end with the music and all the more cinematic camera angle and tons of cuts bothered me a bit.

I would also buy the local tribe fucking with the contestants, while an internal arguement amongst the EVIL PRODUCERS ensued. One (or a group) said "fuck those people, let them all get killed", then took out anyone amongst themselves who objected before getting the fuck out of dodge. I really think Sabina has a connection with the local tribe. She seems to know the area way too well for someone who was just dropped in there a few days ago.

WHODUNNIT TALK!

This isn't going to narrow it down, but it's one of the women. No doubt in my mind. Lindsay seems too obvious...either Cris or Melina. I think I'm leaning towards Melina, just because with her getting set up as the obvious fall girl this week as the last one on her team. She also has never been the "impressed" guest at all, nor has she solved a riddle

I doubt it gets a second season. Ratings have been bad (1.0/3 million pretty consistently past week one), and the budget is absurd (750k per day, with each episode taking three days...that's something like $20 million for a nine episode run? YIKES.

Sucks to hear there won't be a S2. I figured the ratings weren't great by the profound lack of buzz online. Had no idea they were spending so much for a cheesy summer reality show.

Anyway, about your spoiler:

I wasn't 100% clear on the ending to the last ep so, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appeared Melina was the last "victim." I don't know how she could have survived because she missed huge chunks of the case in the case statement. So there goes one of your guesses. I had tabbed Cris as the killer but after Giles called her out for never being Scared, I'm starting to second guess myself. Why draw attention to that fact unless you were trying to mislead people? I guess I'll stick with Cris since I tend to over-analyze things but I think Lindsay is a very real possibility.

The finale looks like it's going to be pretty nuts. Hope my DVR doesn't bomb out while I'm watching SummerSlam.

WHODUNNIT TALK!

This isn't going to narrow it down, but it's one of the women. No doubt in my mind. Lindsay seems too obvious...either Cris or Melina. I think I'm leaning towards Melina, just because with her getting set up as the obvious fall girl this week as the last one on her team. She also has never been the "impressed" guest at all, nor has she solved a riddle

I doubt it gets a second season. Ratings have been bad (1.0/3 million pretty consistently past week one), and the budget is absurd (750k per day, with each episode taking three days...that's something like $20 million for a nine episode run? YIKES.

Sucks to hear there won't be a S2. I figured the ratings weren't great by the profound lack of buzz online. Had no idea they were spending so much for a cheesy summer reality show.

Anyway, about your spoiler:

I wasn't 100% clear on the ending to the last ep so, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appeared Melina was the last "victim." I don't know how she could have survived because she missed huge chunks of the case in the case statement. So there goes one of your guesses. I had tabbed Cris as the killer but after Giles called her out for never being Scared, I'm starting to second guess myself. Why draw attention to that fact unless you were trying to mislead people? I guess I'll stick with Cris since I tend to over-analyze things but I think Lindsay is a very real possibility.

The finale looks like it's going to be pretty nuts. Hope my DVR doesn't bomb out while I'm watching SummerSlam.

I think they've set it up for Melina to either be A) the killer or B) the next/last victim, with no middle ground at all. All that happened at the end of last week was that she disappeared in the smoke with Giles having 100 guns pointing at his face. Did she disappear because she was killed, or did she disappear to make her getaway? Thing is, I don't know how she could have been killed during that mess, since the other three were all still there. It's pretty cool how they actually have me invested in what the hell happens on Sunday.

I think they've set it up for Melina to either be A) the killer or B) the next/last victim, with no middle ground at all. All that happened at the end of last week was that she disappeared in the smoke with Giles having 100 guns pointing at his face. Did she disappear because she was killed, or did she disappear to make her getaway? Thing is, I don't know how she could have been killed during that mess, since the other three were all still there. It's pretty cool how they actually have me invested in what the hell happens on Sunday.

Well, remember they killed that one guy with the chandelier with everybody right in the vicinity so it's been done before. I only surmised she was killed because I made a point to look for her in the next week promo and didn't recall seeing her. 

I really hope they don't go with your "She disappeared to make her getaway" scenario. That would be a disappointing bait-and-switch.

So I just found out there was a Nick Fury TV movie with David Hasselhoff as Fury. Someone tell me about that. A 3.6 rating on IMDB probably tells me all I need to know about it. How bad was it?

There was a GenX TV movie that year, too. It was actually pretty good.

The Nick Fury TV movie was unbelievably awful. Unless the Hoff is your idea of "grizzled badass." Although it stuck to the source material better than Whedon's upcoming SHIELD show probably will. They had pretty much every major SHIELD character from the definitive Steranko run: the Contessa (Lisa Rinna in skintight leather, which may have been the best part of the whole movie), Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford's character in the next Cap movie), Gabe Jones, Dugan (Who, unfortunately, was never called "Dum Dum"), and Clay Quartermaine. The Big Bads were Emile Zola, Viper (Who was a billion times hotter than the Viper in the recent Wolverine movie) and Baron Von Strucker. Unfortunately, Hasselhoff played it like Batman '66 and the plot was equally ridiculous.

In the "crazy irony" department, the movie was actually written by David Goyer, right in between Dark City and the first Blade.

It's as close to a Steranko story as we'll probably ever see on film.  Not that it really feels like Steranko-era Nick Fury, mind you, but the elements are there.  Unfortunately, so are cheesy special effects, an average script, and an awful lot of bad acting.  Hasslehoff is not only the biggest name in the cast.  He is probably also the best actor.  That's not really a good thing.

There was a GenX TV movie that year, too. It was actually pretty good.

The Nick Fury TV movie was unbelievably awful. Unless the Hoff is your idea of "grizzled badass." Although it stuck to the source material better than Whedon's upcoming SHIELD show probably will.

Best part is the Hoff will watch and when he does he will say out loud to someone (and hopefully tweet), "I'm glad they were able to build off of what we started..."