DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Orange Is the New Black is pretty good. Being a big Weeds fan (even watched through the absurd final seasons) it's good to see Jenji doing something new. Just hearing it had a raven-haired lesbian Laura Prepon sold me. 

Is anybody watching Ray Donovan or Magic City? The former is pretty interesting, with Liev Schreiber playing a badass fixer for rich Hollywood flakes and Jon Voight as his evil jailbird dad trying to invade his private life again. I keep trying with Magic City but it's sooooooo slooooooow. Nothing ever seems to pick up with this show, but it has Danny Huston as a venal mobster who has a glass floor in his mansion so he can watch people have sex in the bed below, so I keep coming back. 

Now I watched the preview for Magic City and Rick Ross shows up. Quite a step down from the James fuckin' Woods. In better news it seems Magic City is finally picking up a bit. 

Also just watched the trailer for Black Sails, which I looked forward to as I've been a pirate buff since I was a kid, but as expected it looks like it's just a bunch of prettyboys in period garb. The hunky dude that's Joan Cusack's beau in Shameless has a starring role... ugh. I just want diseased ugly people murdering each other and getting wasted, how much is that to ask for?

• Like 1

So I'm trying to figure out if THE WEST WING actually jumps the shark because it seems like after the incredible Season 4 that they've hit a brick wall in Season 5. I keep waiting for anything to jump out at me and it hasn't hit me yet, really.

You need to get past all of season 5 and 3/4 of season 6 until it really gets good again. Join us in th West Wing thread if you dare :)

James

THE KILLING has been good this season and is really picking up in intrigue, even if it still does pull the "here's a solution-nope! not it!" card way too often.

Holder had a REALLY bad day this week :-(

Um what is going on with Bill Haders career? He leaves SNL and the first thing I see him in is a T-Mobile ad. He deserves better than that. I feel like he could be alot bigger.

He's also got 4 movies in post-production, filming one right now, and has two possible films to follow. But yeah, his career's obviously taken a nosedive because he took a few hours to film a commercial.

I saw the Hader commercial and I was wondering a bit about it.  It seemed like it was something they'd usually just stick "unkown schlub #5" into.  Then I saw another one with him in it.  So apparently they have built their entire current ad campaign around him.  Makes more sense now.

I can't stop watching this Buffy marathon on the Syfy channel.  Why did I start?  Damn it.

Also trailer for BELIEVE:

At the end of the REVOLUTION panel at Comic-Con, fans were given a special surprise when filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron introduced his first television project. The 2014 series preview is both action-packed and inspiring.

Edited by _MJ_

I saw that he's got some stuff in the works. Any of those starring roles? Or is this cameo stuff? I only ask because clearly you are very keyed into Hollywood.

They're all leads or 2nd lead.

I saw the Hader commercial and I was wondering a bit about it.  It seemed like it was something they'd usually just stick "unkown schlub #5" into.  Then I saw another one with him in it.  So apparently they have built their entire current ad campaign around him.  Makes more sense now.

Yup - it's an entire campaign based on him.

Check it out. The 2nd episode fleshes out some of the side characters and gives you a better understanding of where this show is going.  The stuff on the Mexican side of the border is especially interesting,

Demian Bichir has been tearing it up so far, 

Yeah, I'm all in on The Bridge.  They're building a really complex world on both sides of the border and I'm interested in how they continue to tie the two together.  The stuff they introduced on the Mexican side of the border in the last episode just upped the stakes that were already high.  I already forsee some horrible things happening to these characters and it should be fun to watch.