DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Yeah, the couple Dexter novels I've read make parts of Dexter tv look like the Wire by comparison. I swore off the books after

the author retconned Dexter's "Dark Passenger" to be an actual demon, instead of mental illness. Because demonic possession is so much more likely. Or something. Worse was the twist at the end of the book where Dexter marries Rita and, on his wedding day, realizes the rest of his life will be completely ordinary and boring. The idea of an ordinary life makes him so unhappy that he invites the demon back in and it re-possesses him.

I think the author meant for us to take those developments literally, but it's such a ridiculous retcon I wonder if he was being ironic or hinting at something I didn't get.

Good grief, that sounds so stupid.

Yeah, the couple Dexter novels I've read make parts of Dexter tv look like the Wire by comparison. I swore off the books after

the author retconned Dexter's "Dark Passenger" to be an actual demon, instead of mental illness. Because demonic possession is so much more likely. Or something. Worse was the twist at the end of the book where Dexter marries Rita and, on his wedding day, realizes the rest of his life will be completely ordinary and boring. The idea of an ordinary life makes him so unhappy that he invites the demon back in and it re-possesses him.

I think the author meant for us to take those developments literally, but it's such a ridiculous retcon I wonder if he was being ironic or hinting at something I didn't get.

Good grief, that sounds so stupid.

This is the novel we're referring to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_in_the_Dark

Never mind the shark, Sherlock just jumped frigging Sea World.

-Way, way too many in-jokes.

-Lack of anything resembling a real plot

-This felt less like an episode of Sherlock, and more like some girl's tumblr page.

-DID WE TELL YOU THERE'S SOMETHING KINDA GAY ABOUT JOHN AND SHERLOCK? BECAUSE THERE'S SOMETHING KINDA GAY ABOUT JOHN AND SHERLOCK.

-The Derren Brown cameo was probably the highlight. Martin Freeman was great as well.

I honestly have no clue what I just watched. It was like if Breaking Bad decided to do an episode where everyone continually pointed out how annoying Skylar was while Jesse popped up to say "Yo, Bitch!" in every single scene. It was a parody of itself.

So I can't sleep after getting home from a NYE party and I started watching this Happy Endings show on VH1.  Holy shit this show is funny.  I'm going to have to watch all of them now.

Yeah, that was a really funny show that got pretty royally fucked by ABC.  The prank war episode is pure gold.

So I can't sleep after getting home from a NYE party and I started watching this Happy Endings show on VH1.  Holy shit this show is funny.  I'm going to have to watch all of them now.

Yeah, that was a really funny show that got pretty royally fucked by ABC.  The prank war episode is pure gold.

I'm just finding this via the same route.  It's a VH1 miracle!!!!!  Not as big a miracle as Pop-Up Videos, but bigger than, like, anyone caring about the Traveling Wilburys.

I really like this.  It's a nice middle ground between ARRESTED DEVLOPMENT and IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY.  Like more scattered than the former, and not as dark as the latter.  Adam Pally and Casey wilson are great fun.

And I guess my body needed another reminder of how maddeningly perfect Elisha Cuthbert is?

For all the Friday Night Lights praise I just can't bring myself to check it out. Maybe it's that I kind of hate what I know of Texas football culture, maybe it's the fact that it's an NBC drama. I just don't buy that it could possibly be as good as some people claim.

My wife hates football. We've also been through Texas and she was mortified. The thought of a show about a small-town Texan community that revolves around football is the last thing she thought she'd ever watch.

Three episodes before we finished up the series, she broke down crying because she didn't want the show to end. She couldn't handle knowing it was over.

It's my favorite show of all-time. It might not be the best -- there's THE WORST PLOT EVER in Season 2 and some other stuff here and there -- but no show has ever earned the emotional moments of its characters like FNL. I cried at some point during almost every single episode. A lot this is because of sadness of the struggle of the character but a lot is because of the joy that comes from seeing someone overcome something. I've never lost myself in the reality of a show quite like FNL -- it felt so real.

They also avoid a lot of tropes. Like it was said before -- the main characters are a married couple. They don't have affairs or file for divorce or even come close to anything like that. They have disagreements and look to work them out, like actual adults, and it's ALWAYS INTERESTING.

I think FNL is in a lot of ways the most rebellious show of this era of television. The other shows that are justifiably revered -- The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad -- are all based around anti-heros doing bad things without the constraints of network television. FNL is a show where pretty much every character is, at their heart, a good person. And the show was also on a traditional network and had to steer and survive through that infrastructure.

It's either this or Freaks and Geeks as my favorite two shows of all-time. I love The Wire, too, and I've seen the series probably five times through. But aside from the schoolkids in Season 4, I never felt the attachment to the characters that I did watching FNL.

Upon giving it a third shot, I can say Gavin & Stacey is great and one of the best sitcoms of the last decade.

Highly recommended.

Yeah, the couple Dexter novels I've read make parts of Dexter tv look like the Wire by comparison.  I swore off the books after

Yeah, I warned everyone about that when the series started.  I was happy to see that the characters in the novels resembled the ones from the show in name only.

One other point about Friday Night Lights, Tami Taylor (portrayed by Connie Britton) is on the short list of most attractive women alive.

I agree - and thought she was the 3rd or 4th most attractive woman on the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, but since it was on Pivot last night completely uncensored here goes:

We Are Legion:  The Story of the Hacktivists.

A fairly facinating movie and probably moreso if you are an IPSEC geek like me.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes.

BEWARE~!  The movie has plenty of coarse language and some images from the /b' board of the 4Chans so yeah, this is NSFW.