DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Yup. That's probably why The Mentalist is getting canned this year even though The Good Wife, Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods do worse ratings. CBS owns the latter three.

I'd like to think that the fact that the Mentalist burnt itself out creatively a couple seasons ago had something to do with it.   Also, isn't the Mentalist already in syndication?

I believe the magic number is 75 episodes, at least that what Carl Macek said when he told the story of why he used Sothern Cross and MOSPEDA and tied them into Macross to create Robotech

James

That's got to be the most random reference in this thread in weeks.

I believe the magic number is 75 episodes, at least that what Carl Macek said when he told the story of why he used Sothern Cross and MOSPEDA and tied them into Macross to create Robotech

James

That's got to be the most random reference in this thread in weeks.

It was just something I remember from the old Robotech Art books. Macek lamented how daily syndication wouldn't broadcast a 36 episode series and was told by all syndicators that at minimum a package of 75 episodes had to be available. By adding two more shows totaling 49 episodes he not only got the magic number of 75 but padded it by 10 episodes, thus providing a full 2 1/2 months of weekday syndication viewing.

Random Robotech Viewing Fact: NYC was a tough market for Robotech because it originally aired at 6:30AM on Saturday mornings on NBC before its national syndication deal kicked in and the show moved WPIX at 8AM for weekday airings. WPIX already had GI Joe and Transformers at the plum 4-5PM slot and for some reason WPIX didn't want to give-up on re-runs of Heatchliff at 3:30. So Robotech got a terrible morning slot when most kids were already in school.  

James

I own the complete series of Robotech on dvd, and yet that new complete series box set with all kinds of bonus features and stuff is so very tempting. Has all three movies (which I only have two of...), all 85 episodes, and 12 hours of bonus features.

I...  I probably should get help for my dvd addiction.

• Like 1

Yup. That's probably why The Mentalist is getting canned this year even though The Good Wife, Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods do worse ratings. CBS owns the latter three.

I'd like to think that the fact that the Mentalist burnt itself out creatively a couple seasons ago had something to do with it.   Also, isn't the Mentalist already in syndication?

Well, yeah, but even once you hit 88, there's still money to be made, since you can add even more episodes and it's a more attractive package.

Apparently Nikita does pretty well overseas, hence why it's stuck around despite some of the most abysmal ratings in network prime-time history. I honestly think there are infomercials that do better.

No, Voltron Defended the UNIVERSE (though I will always prefer Vehicle Voltron to Lion Voltron because it had a better hardcore sci-fi story... the political intrigue on Planet Drule was like a low rent Archduchy of Zeon)

James

No, Voltron Defended the UNIVERSE (though I will always prefer Vehicle Voltron to Lion Voltron because it had a better hardcore sci-fi story... the political intrigue on Planet Drule was like a low rent Archduchy of Zeon)

James

BLASPHEMY! Actually I only remember the lions well(we didnt get the vehicle as much in SLC back in the day as I recall. Though when it switched for a while to the cars one I was pissed). Tried to watch it on toonami forever ago. . . did not hold up well at all. I guess when your five you don't notice all the stock footage of battles, lol.

• Like 1

OK, I'm up to the finale of Dexter. Season 8 has actually been better than 7 but it's definitely a mess. Dexter gets protege! Dexter finds love! Deb rejoins the force! Everybody in Miami knows Dexter is a killer except the homicide squad. Nurses at hospitals can learn the names of people without ever being told the names. The whole stupid storyline with Vogel as therapist. And so on.

Anyway, I asked to live blog an episode so I've chosen the finale. Here goes nothing...

• Like 1

Saxon has gotten away thanks to a US Marshall somehow not knowing Saxon is wanted. Deb has been shot.

And now we're at the airport. Elway is at the airport so Dex sets him up as a terrorist so he and Hannah can board. Except they don't board either. Never mind how implausible the idea of Hannah flying is. That's OK Dex, they'll never check for fingerprints on that backpack. No need to be careful.

Deb's alive, Quinn's being the supportive friend. She's getting all confessional but Quinn thinks she's awesome. Awww... she loves Joey.

Dex is going to Deb, tells Hannah to fly from elsewhere.

Saxon steals a truck. It's been quite awhile since he got shot by Deb a blood is still pouring out of him. He's a badass zombie on his period so he can bleed for days without dying, so he's good.

Are we really supposed to believe that Harrison never once mentioned Hannah to Jamie in their billions of hours together?

Dex is at the hospital and he's feeling all guilty about messing up Deb's life but she's not having it. Yeah, it's so realistic that he could have developed normal human emotions for the first after the age of 40.

• Like 1

Well, it's over. Good Lord, that finale is stupid. I love how Dex could kill his sister in the hospital without anyone noticing and then steal her body. Faking his own death so he could leave his kid with a serial killer? BRILLIANT.

They really should have had Deb shoot Dexter at the end of season 7 and ended the show there.

But at least Yvonne Strahovski is really, really hot.

In the end, the last four seasons are a mess but not completely awful. The amount of implausibility is really, really high, that's for sure. Too many people knowing Dexter's secret and not enough compelling bad guys. And too much of Dexter killing just to cover his tracks instead of killing people just because they're bad.

And holy cow, could Deb be any more annoying? The constant barrage of foulness from her hurts the show big time. And no wonder she made lieutenant - every other cop in Miami is incredibly incompetent.

Final rating? 7/10. Didn't hate the last bits nearly as much as expected but they were fecundity not good.

• Like 1

Faking his own death so he could leave his kid with a serial killer? BRILLIANT.

Leave his kid with a serial killer and become a lumberjack.

Because apparently Dexter's lumberjack ambitions are so strong they even overcome the welfare of his kid.

Well, it's over. Good Lord, that finale is stupid. I love how Dex could kill his sister in the hospital without anyone noticing and then steal her body. Faking his own death so he could leave his kid with a serial killer? BRILLIANT.

They really should have had Deb shoot Dexter at the end of season 7 and ended the show there.

But at least Yvonne Strahovski is really, really hot.

In the end, the last four seasons are a mess but not completely awful. The amount of implausibility is really, really high, that's for sure. Too many people knowing Dexter's secret and not enough compelling bad guys. And too much of Dexter killing just to cover his tracks instead of killing people just because they're bad.

And holy cow, could Deb be any more annoying? The constant barrage of foulness from her hurts the show big time. And no wonder she made lieutenant - every other cop in Miami is incredibly incompetent.

Final rating? 7/10. Didn't hate the last bits nearly as much as expected but they were fecundity not good.

She's like that in the books too. They're incredibly poorly written.

Yeah, the couple Dexter novels I've read make parts of Dexter tv look like the Wire by comparison.  I swore off the books after

the author retconned Dexter's "Dark Passenger" to be an actual demon, instead of mental illness. Because demonic possession is so much more likely. Or something. Worse was the twist at the end of the book where Dexter marries Rita and, on his wedding day, realizes the rest of his life will be completely ordinary and boring. The idea of an ordinary life makes him so unhappy that he invites the demon back in and it re-possesses him.

I think the author meant for us to take those developments literally, but it's such a ridiculous retcon I wonder if he was being ironic or hinting at something I didn't get.

Yeah, the couple Dexter novels I've read make parts of Dexter tv look like the Wire by comparison.  I swore off the books after

the author retconned Dexter's "Dark Passenger" to be an actual demon, instead of mental illness. Because demonic possession is so much more likely. Or something. Worse was the twist at the end of the book where Dexter marries Rita and, on his wedding day, realizes the rest of his life will be completely ordinary and boring. The idea of an ordinary life makes him so unhappy that he invites the demon back in and it re-possesses him.

I think the author meant for us to take those developments literally, but it's such a ridiculous retcon I wonder if he was being ironic or hinting at something I didn't get.

I bailed on the novels around the same time too. Even though the first couple were badly written, the plots moved at a fairly brisk pace and were interesting enough to keep me hooked. But then that development just made me not want to continue with the series.