DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Hmm well, I guess there's no telling how much their endorsement may have assisted McAllister.

So on one side of the aisle we have the "My religious beliefs are under attack!" crowd and on the other side we have those who may not be religious but "OUR FREEDOMS~!" crowd.

By valuing this guy's opinion, GLAAD have successfully drawn more attention to both and if Twitter and things like my FB feed are an indicator, this isn't helping their mission and vision. We'll see.

Y'know, even with the controversy, I've never seen the show and wouldn't recognize the stars if they came to my door.  I barely know what the show is about (some rural southern family who made millions selling duck.... calls?  Live ducks?  Ducks to supermarket?)  I'm only sure what channel it's on because AMC has been mentioned in this thread.

My wife was talking about the show last night and asked me what the family's name was?  Apparently, "Duck" is not the correct answer.

I'm taking way more pride in my ignorance right now than I should.

• Like 1

Hmm well, I guess there's no telling how much their endorsement may have assisted McAllister.

So on one side of the aisle we have the "My religious beliefs are under attack!" crowd and on the other side we have those who may not be religious but "OUR FREEDOMS~!" crowd.

By valuing this guy's opinion, GLAAD have successfully drawn more attention to both and if Twitter and things like my FB feed are an indicator, this isn't helping their mission and vision. We'll see.

Sorry for repeating this again, but it's worth remembering that GLAAD didn't even call for this guy to be fired.

As far as the "publicity stunt" thing goes, I doubt A&E would be willing to be part of a marketing strategy based on not only the anti-gay stuff, but also the race stuff.  Could be Robertson working his own angle, but given the 2010 sermon I linked earlier, it seems to be nonsense that he actually believes.

Yeah, I don't so much think "intentional publicity stunt" as I do that A&E is hoping to ride out the storm while the 4th season airs, and then quietly reinstate him just in time to film season 5, and hope it's all blown over by then.

• Like 1

They don't value his opinion, and bringing attention to something that stupid doesn't give it value

A&E, not AMC.

See, a little less ignorant.

Lol, AMC didn't sound right, and I started to go back and look it up, then decided not to bother.  My bad.

Now I'm a little sad.  I remember when A&E actually lived up to its name and attempted to broaden my family's cultural knowledge.

Now it's the channel I surf by occasionally to see if CSI: Miami reruns are on.

A&E, not AMC.

See, a little less ignorant.

Lol, AMC didn't sound right, and I started to go back and look it up, then decided not to bother.  My bad.

Now I'm a little sad.  I remember when A&E actually lived up to its name and attempted to broaden my family's cultural knowledge.

Now it's the channel I surf by occasionally to see if CSI: Miami reruns are on.

I don't think a channel that aired Evening At The Improv fifty times a day had far to fall. 

Re: Friday Night Lights movie: I think it would have been a bad idea. The television series gave a pretty satisfying finale, not sure what the movie could have covered.

Of course, if Britton and Chander's careers stagnate over the next decade, maybe they bring the show back, focusing on their family up north, and with Gracie Belle as a teenager. Plus, we could get Saracen back with a grandchild. Book it now, NBC!!!

We didn't talk about Almost Human this week and how good it was.  There has to be more then 3 people here that love that show.

It's very good. If they could just rid of Minka Kelly and replace her with someone who has a personality, I would be thrilled.

The character of Lyla Garrity would be a tricky bit of business for someone who is a better actor than Minka Kelly. It doesn't help that she couldn't completely pull it off. Although conversely, the deer-in-the-headlights thing worked for Seracen because that's who the character was. 

All this talk of FNL is making me want to go on another Netflix binge of it.  

So I'm almost 2/3 of the way through season 6 of Dexter.  Yeah, you can see the dropoff in this season.  The "Doomsday Killer" is not interesting and the storyline is just a waste.  And, hey, let's have the return of the "Trinity Killer" and then resolve it in no time.  And bring back Dexter's brother.  And promote Deb to Lieutenant out of nowhere.  The constant sloppiness of Dexter in killing people is getting a little old too - fingerprints, hair, witnesses, none of that stuff seems to matter. 

Still, this hasn't exactly been awful, just not very good.

I've never seen the show, but have read and been told it just gets worse in the next two years and peaks at the end in it's horrible shittiness, so have fun.

I've never seen the show, but have read and been told it just gets worse in the next two years and peaks at the end in it's horrible shittiness, so have fun.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the awfulness to set in. Have gotten lots of warnings :). I'm actually eager to see how terrible it becomes.

Dude, you're in it.  Doesn't it bug you how they're acting as if the incredibly common Revelations imagery that is really obvious to anyone who's ever seen a serial killer movie is some kind of super esoteric code that only a bible scholar could possibly have conceived of?

Or how that one new cop who recognized it was some sort of genius for it?  Because that pissed me off to no end.  It angered me that that roomful of writers felt clever about that.  Because that's some Donald Kaufman screenwriting right there.

Dude, you're in it. Doesn't it bug you how they're acting as if the incredibly common Revelations imagery that is really obvious to anyone who's ever seen a serial killer movie is some kind of super esoteric code that only a bible scholar could possibly have conceived of?

Or how that one new cop who recognized it was some sort of genius for it? Because that pissed me off to no end. It angered me that that roomful of writers felt clever about that. Because that's some Donald Kaufman screenwriting right there.

Yes, it did bug me that not a single one of the entire detective crew had even a passing familiarity with the Bible. That's not at all realistic. But it hasn't bugged me enough to get worked up about it.