DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

It was always able to elicit the occasional chuckle from me, but I never understood all the love for it. Quirky, sure. Greatness? Don't see it. As funny as propane humor is. Must be because I'm so deadset in my city slickin', George Foreman-ing ways.

King of the Hill is fucking hilarious, poignant at times, incredibly smart, and is one of a very few Tv shows that never "jumped the shark". It just got better and better. And yeah, Bobby Hill is the best. I also always loved that it was the only show where the wife wasn't always right and smart and the husband is an oaf. I honestly think that years from now it's gonna be remembered as one of the finest TV shows ever done.

I think my favorite scene ever was Hank literally kicking Jimmy Wichard's ass after he almost got Bobby killed.

• Like 1

It's not the sort of show that's going to generate enough discussion to warrant it's own thread, I don't think, but MASTERS OF SEX has turned out to be an outstanding show. It's mostly really fun and funny, but when it hits, it hits hard. Not sure how true to life it is, but Bill Masters is a piece of work.

Just burned through the first 5 episodes.  We will see how it ends, but I'd say it's my favorite new show of the year so far.  You get that Mad Men vibe a bit, but it's a little more accessible and straight-forward. 

It was recently renewed for a second season and I fully expect it to turn into a hit at some point.  Hopefully by season 2 there will be enough interest here to have its own thread.  Both the leads knock it out of the park.  Lizzy Caplan is great as usual (I was a big Party Down fan), but Michael Sheen should be jumping straight to the top of the Emmy contenders.  He would have my vote if it wasn't for that damn Walter White.

Watch this show NOW people!  And yes, Bill Masters is truly a piece of work.

I didn't really care for KOTH until someone gave me seasons 3 and 4 as a birthday present and then I was hooked, for some reason the dvd sets are super cheap in HMV, like I don't think I've paid more than £10 for one.

The moment when Hank has to call Buck's mistress "baby" is one of my absolute favourite moments of television ever. It's all good though - Bobby as a southern fop, the Billdozer, Chuck Mangione, anything involving Dale.

yJYJBCK.gif

I still wonder, to my knowledge, no one in the US ever bougt the rights for QI. If no one else, BBCa should show it.

Part of it is timing. QI runs 28 minutes long. Too long for a half hour show and too short for an hour long show. The other major issue (according to the QI elves) are the rights to the images they show behind the panelists.

It's not the sort of show that's going to generate enough discussion to warrant it's own thread, I don't think, but MASTERS OF SEX has turned out to be an outstanding show. It's mostly really fun and funny, but when it hits, it hits hard. Not sure how true to life it is, but Bill Masters is a piece of work.

Just burned through the first 5 episodes.  We will see how it ends, but I'd say it's my favorite new show of the year so far.  You get that Mad Men vibe a bit, but it's a little more accessible and straight-forward. 

It was recently renewed for a second season and I fully expect it to turn into a hit at some point.  Hopefully by season 2 there will be enough interest here to have its own thread.  Both the leads knock it out of the park.  Lizzy Caplan is great as usual (I was a big Party Down fan), but Michael Sheen should be jumping straight to the top of the Emmy contenders.  He would have my vote if it wasn't for that damn Walter White.

Watch this show NOW people!  And yes, Bill Masters is truly a piece of work.

I think I'm officially on board with this being the best new show of the year.

Exempting the final season of BREAKING BAD, which had enough incredible scenes to fill it's own Top 20 list, I think the scene in MASTERS when Mrs. Scully goes for her screening interview to participate in the study might the best scene of the year. The way it starts out humorously awkward (the Provost's wife is having to detail her sex life to one of her husband's employees, who is also a close family friend!) then subtly pivots into sadness as she realizes how abnormally awful her sex life is is just fantastically done and incredibly acted by Allison Janney. But what really puts it over the top is that, like all great shows, it twists the knife at the end, revealing that the whole humiliating ordeal was pointless because she doesn't qualify for the study because she'd never had an orgasm. A wave of devastation swept over me.

It was like the Red Wedding but without a single drop of blood.

My one complaint right now is that I miss Betty the prostitute. She was great. Maybe she'll break it off with the Pretzel King.

• Like 1

I watched all of King Of The Hill recently and the show really is great. It never hit a true slump that any long run (whether it be TV, Comics or whatevs) does. 

There were a few occasions where I think the writers took liberties with Hank (which Mike Judge mentioned in a few interviews), but even those episodes are really good. 

Around season 11/12 you think the show is winding down, then the final season produces an amazing string of episodes. 

• Like 2

My favorite King Of the Hill reveal near the end was that Tilly (Hank's mom) was as crazy as Cotton. 

I love Cotton because he was a nuanced character that rarely gave an inch. The episode where he helped Peggy walk again was the best example. 

"Uh Peggy, you know how you hate my Dad. Well um, I never wanted to hurt your feelings. But he has never been fond of you. Are you sure he is not um, torturing you."

I made this the week after Cotton died because I was distraught. I mean not as much as Country Mac, who was in the prime of his life, but it was pretty bad. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaKviIIo9Qk

A
nd he reminded me of my dead Grampa. Who I still miss. 

• Like 2

I think I'm officially on board with this being the best new show of the year.

Exempting the final season of BREAKING BAD, which had enough incredible scenes to fill it's own Top 20 list, I think the scene in MASTERS when Mrs. Scully goes for her screening interview to participate in the study might the best scene of the year. The way it starts out humorously awkward (the Provost's wife is having to detail her sex life to one of her husband's employees, who is also a close family friend!) then subtly pivots into sadness as she realizes how abnormally awful her sex life is is just fantastically done and incredibly acted by Allison Janney. But what really puts it over the top is that, like all great shows, it twists the knife at the end, revealing that the whole humiliating ordeal was pointless because she doesn't qualify for the study because she'd never had an orgasm. A wave of devastation swept over me.

It was like the Red Wedding but without a single drop of blood.

My one complaint right now is that I miss Betty the prostitute. She was great. Maybe she'll break it off with the Pretzel King.

I know you were really high on The Americans (which I haven't started yet), but for me the only other competition for best new show is Netflix's stuff.  Big fan of House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, but Masters of Sex sort of lapped them around Ep 5.  It's funniest moments are funnier than OITNB and it's most dramatic moments are superior to anything on House of Cards.  

I'll echo you on Allison Janney.  Great work and she probably deserves a supporting actor Emmy nomination even though she won't have nearly as much screen time as her competition.  

Betty the prostitute is great and all, but the real king of comedic relief is Teddy Sears as Dr. Austin Langham.  "Why wont my dick work!?!?" and his meeting with the psychiatrist are quality moments, but it will be hard to top the combo of "This whole thing feels like Christmas or something" and the single most ridiculous smile in TV history that followed. 

Edit:  Fuck it.  If one more person jumps in on our conversation I am making a thread.  The rest of you will be watching this eventually anyway.

AMERICANS kinda fell apart midway through, then regrouped for a strong finish. I have high hopes for season 2, but MASTERS is way, way better so far.

It will be a crime if Janney doesn't get nominated. She has the sort of role actresses her age rarely get on TV, and she is just knocking it out of the park. It's wild that she's splitting time between this show and a Chuck Lorre sitcom on CBS. I can't imagine working on two shows any more different.

Teddy Sears is indeed king-sized in this, as well. I also love Alan Ruck just randomly showing up as his psychotherapist.