DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

They have a director for a Y: The Last Man film adaptation, and they "could go into production next year" according to David Goyer, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't think we'll see any Sandman productions anytime soon, but I do think they are serious about pursuing the idea.  Especially since the DC Chief is commenting on it nowadays.

Oh, and someone on the io9 comments already mentioned it, but it's worth repeating an we've all thought it already...Walton Goggins needs to be all over this show.

Now, if we're getting a Preacher show, then at some frickin' point there needs to be a 100 Bullets TV show...and a Rising Stars TV show.

Oh, and someone on the io9 comments already mentioned it, but it's worth repeating an we've all thought it already...Walton Goggins needs to be all over this show.

Now, if we're getting a Preacher show, then at some frickin' point there needs to be a 100 Bullets TV show...and a Rising Stars TV show.

I've said it a hundred times already... Taker for the Saint of Killers. 

Over the last few days, we’ve read a whole bunch about AMC making a Preacher TV series. Bleeding Cool even got the CCO of AMC confirming it.

But now, confirming some rumors and exploding some others, Bleeding Cool has learned exclusively that a development order for a television pilot based upon Garth Ennis’ and Steve Dillon‘s ballbustingly blasphemous comic series from the nineties, Preacher, has been given by Sony Pictures Television studio.

The project is the studio’s next major endeavour, following its recently completed Breaking Bad series after its newly launched broadcast series The Blacklist starring James Spader. Bleeding Cool has also learned that while AMC Network has obtained the North American broadcast rights to Preacher, the network is notin control of its development as has been recently erroneously reported.

The television pitch has been developed for Sony Pictures Television by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and Breaking Bad series writer Sam Caitlin through producer Neal Moritz’ Original Pictures.

Garth Ennis is reported to be particularly pleased about these developments, since it seemed that a television series possibility was all but dead after an initial failed effort at HBO.

Moreover, Ennis reportedly believes that it is Rogen and Goldberg who have finally captured the tone which Preacher would need in order to be true to the essence of the now legendary DC/Vertigo comic series. Ennis is expected to be an active consultant if the series moves forward.

Preacher has had a long history of high profile efforts to be realized on screen, including at HBO (under current Starz Media CEO Chris Albrecht, who departed HBO before a pilot was completed), and as a Sony feature to be directed by Sam Mendes (who, after a John August screenplay, departed the project to direct the James Bond film Skyfall). Mendes recently reiterated his admiration for thePreacher coda and acknowledged that he had been unable to crack how to bring it to the big screen. In fact Mendes noted that in all likelihood, Preacher would be best suited for episodic television.

As the book series languished under option to Sony Features with no real direction after the Sam Mendes departure (director D.J. Caruso was later brought in but no new feature writer was ever engaged), producer Neal Moritz and Vivian Cannon, head of Moritz’ Original Pictures’ Television, got Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg on board to take their vision for a television series out before the Sony option window closed.

Only a handful of networks were allowed to participate, and AMC triumphed after spirited bidding just before the deadline. The result is a stunning achievement for one of the great comic properties which appeared mired in a feature film development hell, never to see light of day. The chance at a Preachertelevision series also marks another extraordinary success for Ken F. Levin, whose multiplatforms in entertainment include as film and television producer (The Amazing Screw-On Head; The Scribbler;Quarry); as co-founder and current creative director of the relaunched publisher 1First Comics; and as Mr. Ennis’ long time representative.

Sources tell us it was Levin who conceived of and implemented the strategy to get the project moved over to Sony’s Television studios and to have Rogen and Goldberg take the project out on a rush basis before Sony’s option lapsed. (Ken Levin was named on last year Top 100 Power List by Bleeding Cool Magazine, listing the most powerful people in comics, and is one of the few who operates in both the business and the creative sides of the industry).

For Ennis, the commitment by Sony Television marks an opportunity to spotlight attention on one of his earliest exceptional creations. Ennis has since followed up with The Boys (currently at Paramount Features), Crossed, 303, Wormwood Chronicles and Stitched with Bleeding Cool owners Avatar, and with his current ongoing comic series Red Team from Dynamite and Red Rover on its way from Avatar.

You may start making your own Arseface masks… now. - Bleeding Cool

More Almost Human thoughts:

-I really, really liked the futuristic set pieces and they're some of the best I've seen on a television show, especially considering they don't have the huge movie budgets.

-John is way too cliched a character right now (he's haunted by the past! He's angry! He doesn't play by the rules!).

-Wasn't the cop/robot partner thing the plot of Joey's Mac and Cheese show from Friends?

-At first I thought John was a robot too, like in the Director's Cut of Blade Runner, but it's a bit too obvious and maybe a red herring.

-Minka Kelly basically seems like every generic hot chick Hollywood actress. She's not terrible, but I'm not sure what she adds besides being, you know, hot. Michael Eale is pretty good

-I'd like to see where this goes, so here's hoping it doesn't cancelled in 5 weeks or whatever.

-Minka Kelly basically seems like every generic hot chick Hollywood actress. She's not terrible, but I'm not sure what she adds besides being, you know, hot.

If you were to look up 'generically hot with marginal talent' in some meme dictionary, Minka Kelly's face would be next to the definition.  I would say there's nothing fascinating about her, but she's bagged Derek Jeter AND Captain America Chris Evans at various times.  So she's got something going on. (insert bad thoughts here)

-Minka Kelly basically seems like every generic hot chick Hollywood actress. She's not terrible, but I'm not sure what she adds besides being, you know, hot.

If you were to look up 'generically hot with marginal talent' in some meme dictionary, Minka Kelly's face would be next to the definition.  I would say there's nothing fascinating about her, but she's bagged Derek Jeter AND Captain America Chris Evans at various times.  So she's got something going on. (insert bad thoughts here)

Replace "generically" hot with "exceptionally, fucking smoking, hot, and you would have a point.  When I think generically hot, I'm thinking someone who has all the properties of a good looking woman, but you don't really find her attractive...but I digress.

I think it is safe to say that FOX won this year.  Sleepy Hollow, is so much better than anyone could have possibly expected, Brooklyn Nine-Nine which has its problems, but is always at least decent, and Almost Human which is about has been pretty good so far.  None of the other networks have come close this year.  When you look at the casts of those shows and then look at something like Shield, I honestly don't understand we still get such whitewashed casting on television. 

Minka is gorgeous, but she's also a pretty boring on-screen presence--that's what I mean by "generic". Sure, she's amazingly hot but at some point you have to go "and what else?" 

Credit to her, though, she can at least deliver her lines in a non-embarrassing manner.

Which is more than Megan Fox or Kristen Stewart have got going for them.

RE: Almost Human. Gina Carano is going to be appearing soon, she was the deactivated robot you saw for a split second in the pilot.

How could you tell she was deactivated?

*rimshot*

Replace "generically" hot with "exceptionally, fucking smoking, hot, and you would have a point.  When I think generically hot, I'm thinking someone who has all the properties of a good looking woman, but you don't really find her attractive...but I digress.

Proving once again that most men have questionable taste. ;)

She was the worst of all the female leads on FNL by quite a large margin, but that might have more to do with my hate for the character than anything else.  Super gorgeous, though.

Buddy Garrity should have told the rest of the family to fuck off.

FX has ordered a 13-episode season of an adaptation of Guillermo del Toro's THE STRAIN. Kinda figured it was coming, but it's confirmed now. Carlton Cuse will run it, and the GREAT Corey Stoll will star.

I'm interested.

• Like 1

I think Almost Human needed more of an action hero-type for its lead actress. Someone like Katee Sackhoff (if she didn't have another show). Minka Kelly doesn't seem convincing as a cop who could potentially kick your ass at all.

Heck, they could have went with Carano in that role if they wanted to use her on the show. Maybe get her some more acting classes first through.

I enjoy it. They've had some really funny episodes.  The Leonard/Penny stuff gets tiresome from time to time though.

I agree on the Leonard/Penny  stuff we get it... opposites attract... blah blah blah

I can't stand Barry Kripke.  I also am not a big fan of Wolowitz, I kind of wish he had burnt up in the Soyuz capsule upon re-entry but let's not get into my Big Bang Fan Fiction territory.

FX has ordered a 13-episode season of an adaptation of Guillermo del Toro's THE STRAIN. Kinda figured it was coming, but it's confirmed now. Carlton Cuse will run it, and the GREAT Corey Stoll will star.

I'm interested.

Gives me plenty of time to read the novel, since it has been sitting in my backlog of reading material.

My dear...This is happening:

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2013/11/encore-networks-acquire-classic-sitcoms.html#ixzz2l96LHJ3J

Encore is rebranding two of its networks...sort of...to emphasize classic sitcoms.  The shows will include:

What's Happening!!,

Diff'rent Strokes,

Amen

and for white people!!!!

Murphy Brown,

Magnum, P.I.,

Night Court

But the most important line in the press release is the following:

The TV hits will be commercial-free and unedited

FUcke Yeae!!!!! We're gonna have a T.V. Party TONIGHT.  ALRIGHT!

ALso Craig Fergusen will be hosting some celebrity panel game show thing.

• Like 1