DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Murder She Wrote is actually far more entertaining to watch if you interpret it as Angela Lansbury killing people out of boredom, then framing others for the crime. 

My mom was a huge Murder She Wrote fan, and I remember "coming up" with that serial killer idea back in the early 80's, telling her the idea, and her getting mad at me for being "sick".   :lol:

When do we get a remake of the Jeffersons, but staring a family of legal immigrants from Mexico?

I dare someone take work from old white women trying to establish themselves in the industry.

Murder She Wrote is actually far more entertaining to watch if you interpret it as Angela Lansbury killing people out of boredom, then framing others for the crime. 

My mom was a huge Murder She Wrote fan, and I remember "coming up" with that serial killer idea back in the early 80's, telling her the idea, and her getting mad at me for being "sick".   :lol:

I think there was even an episode where Jessica was testifying against someone, and the person's lawyer pointed out that everywhere this woman goes, someone gets horribly murdered.

Cue the freaked out jury looking at her like she's Ted Bundy.

My mother didn't watch the show that much, but she would almost always say "It's Jessica killing all those folks!" whenever a promotion for it came on.  It's obvious she was doing it to promote her mystery novels. :lol:

I've been on the fence on Hello Ladies, because as much as I like Stephen Merchant, the premise of the show is a little thin, but the most recent episode "The Dinner" really knocked it out of the park.  Just a great combination of awkward, sadness, and humor. 

I've been meaning to watch this show. I watched Ricky Gervaise show "Derek" on Netflix and it was interesting seeing how Merchant's absence changed things. It felt a lot more maudlin, without enough outright jokes.  

When do we get a remake of the Jeffersons, but staring a family of legal immigrants from Mexico?

This isn't a bad idea.  The only part that I think may stop it is the fact that we(black people) tend to become unbearble to some people once we get a little money in our pockets.  The show was basically "look at this loud, rude, rich, black man make these white people uncomfortable", which somehow worked for everybody.  Hopefully this doesn't stop this thread cold like my Boardwalk Empire question did. 

They actually sorta tried that once. If you buy the Greatest American Hero complete box set - which to my chagrin came with a chintzy cape instead of being packaged in a sweet alien briefcase - at the very end they include an unaired pilot for a show called Greatest American Heroine. Evidently they planned to reboot the series with Ralph "retiring" and passing the suit on to one of his female students with Bill Maxwell continuing on as her adviser.

As for rebooting Charmed, that's actually not a bad idea. The original was dopey trash albeit trash that featured glorious eye-candy - watch any random episode and it's obvious by the wardrobe choices everybody involved knew what demographic they were catering to. Thing is, it actually could've been a pretty decent fantasy series, not unlike Once Upon A Time or Grimm, had they forgone the navel-gazing (literally!) and aimed a bit higher.  

I just caught the first episode of a show called "Neverland" that's a wild take on Peter Pan. I know the whole "serious adult version of fairy tales" thing is played out and is often awful, but this pretty fucking cool and fun.

Is this the two part British series from a couple of years ago?  If so, I thought it was pretty damn good myself, and felt like a spiritual prequel to Hook in alot of ways.

I just caught the first episode of a show called "Neverland" that's a wild take on Peter Pan. I know the whole "serious adult version of fairy tales" thing is played out and is often awful, but this pretty fucking cool and fun.

Is this the two part British series from a couple of years ago?  If so, I thought it was pretty damn good myself, and felt like a spiritual prequel to Hook in alot of ways.

Yeah that's it. Found it on netflix and was hoping it was a series.

They made it sound like they're just going to retire her. They were originally going to have someone pass away, but that would just seem kind of cruel at this point to kill off Edna. I assume they'll just stop using the character outright even though she's married to Ned if I recall the current plots(haven't seen the show in a couple years). That would be really weird to have 2 of 3 characters that passed away be his wives.

Mrs. Krabappel died?  What a downer.  :(

I wonder if they'll retire the character the same as they did with Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz after Phil Hartman's passing?

They are going to retire the character like they did Phil Hartman's characters.

• Like 1

I was reading a mildly interesting thing about CW the other day. Obviously, it's ratings are a total disaster, but they're new business model is essentially

1) make cheap shows (with a formula friendly to stand-alone episodes)

2) Assuming the programme in question doesn't flop disastrously, after the second season do everything in your power to get them to 88 episodes, so CW's owners WB/CBS can make syndication cash in the domestic and international market. There's also netflix, amazon etc.

This explains why they peek renewing Nikita and Hart of Dixie despite awful ratings. I assume The Carrie Diaries got another chance because they figured it had international appeal too. (It's also why CW don't say "fuck it" and fill up their schedule with ultra-low budget reality shows, since they have no appeal in syndication)

Of course, the issue now is apparently that while the CW people are making cash from this method, the affiliates, which are showing shows few will actually watch, aren't making any money. So, now they want in on the deal, but the people that run CW think they should just be grateful for all the original content.