DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

CBS seems to me to be trying way too hard with their comedies this year (e.g. Charlie has a daughter!). I want to watch the show with Anna Faris, but I'm on the fence.

Liked The Goldberg's on ABC and Trophy Wife wasn't horrible, though I was in and out while it aired. Caught a few minutes of the end of the Marvel/Whedon/SHIELD show, but don't think I'm going to be into that show.

Parks and Rec. took me by surprise, I had forgotten about it starting. I'm already melancholy over Lowe and Jones leaving. They're so damn good on the show. Loved the bit at the end with Ron going on Leslie's junket. 

The Faris show was not as good as Goldbergs or Trophy Wife, but worth giving a couple of more weeks before writing it off.

Martin Mull is ruling it on "Dads" on Fox. Him and the pretty Asian lady are the only two reasons to watch the show so far.

The Michael J. Fox show was perfectly decent.  Nothing tells me it will ever be a great show, but I think it could grow into something very good in time.  The cast seems pretty enjoyable (although the sassy aunt can go, she adds nothing).

The first episode was a little annoying with the constant EVERYONE LOVES HIM (so now we can make a Parkinson's joke before mentioning again that ) EVERYONE LOVES HIM!  HE'S A HELL OF A GUY (with Parkinson's)! 

Hopefully they let up on that a bit as they go on.

Big Bang Theory season premiere was last night. Have always enjoyed this show. I've heard opinions on this show that range from liking it to DESPISING it...I mean full-blast rage. I can see the point of view that the nerd culture is set up as the punchline in and of itself, but I still like the show for what it is. Just my own opinion.

• Like 1

I made it through about half of the first episode of Dads before I tuned out. Ribisi shouting "DADDY NO!" was it for me. That show's the drizzling shits.

Brooklyn Nine Nine looks like it has promise. I've enjoyed the first two episodes so far and they have a good cast (had no idea Terry Crews was in it)

I watched about half of Back In The Game (new James Caan show) before I went to sleep last night. It wasn't really doing it for me but I didn't find it as outright loathesome as Dads. I'm gonna finish watching it cuz there have been a couple funny bits but Caan comes off really unlikeable.

Haven't really sat down to watch any of the new dramas yet (GTA5 takes up most of my free time) but I'll probably get around to SHIELD, Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist over the next few days.

I liked the second episode of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE, but it's still not totally clicking for me. Second episode was a textbook case of "repeat the pilot," which is fine. I think they have a really good handle on Samberg, Braugher, and Crews at this point. If they can figure out all the other supporting characters, it'll really take off.

Hopefully they get a chance. That's a tough timeslot.

Big Bang Theory season premiere was last night. Have always enjoyed this show. I've heard opinions on this show that range from liking it to DESPISING it...I mean full-blast rage. I can see the point of view that the nerd culture is set up as the punchline in and of itself, but I still like the show for what it is. Just my own opinion.

"Serial Apist" might be the best gag on the show in forever.

• Like 1

My whole problem with the premise of Hostages is how do you stretch it out long term? Dude's holding her family hostage until she operates on the president right? That premise seems good for a 2 hour movie, but it seems like you'd have to stretch it pretty thin to fill 23 hour long episodes. And what if it's a hit and gets picked up? Does she operate on the vice president next?

I was in the room while the missus was watching it. I found it laughable. So here's these hostage takers who want to kill the president, and yet they're helping the son out with his drug dealer problem and helping the daughter hide her pregnancy test from her mom. Next week, the woman will give the girl dating advice, and the boy will get help with his algebra.

My whole problem with the premise of Hostages is how do you stretch it out long term? Dude's holding her family hostage until she operates on the president right? That premise seems good for a 2 hour movie, but it seems like you'd have to stretch it pretty thin to fill 23 hour long episodes. And what if it's a hit and gets picked up? Does she operate on the vice president next?

She'll fall in love with him and someone will frame him for a big attack and they'll go on the run together in Canada.

No...no...that's fucking ridiculous....I'm just kidding obviously.

Been slogging my way through the Netflix season of Arrested Development. I started when it first appeared, but I'm still less than halfway through. It's been pretty disappointing. There is far, far too much expository narration going on. I think the only episode I actually enjoyed the whole of was The B Team. At this stage, I'm just watching for the cameos.

Two other things...

1. Michael Cera is a weird looking dude.

2. What in the fuck happened to Steve Holt? According to IMDB, the guy is 29 years old, and yet looks 15 years older.

So Hulu keeps recommending I watch this show called Luther.  Sadly, it's not about Luther Vandross.  Anyone watched it?  Is it any good?

If you like detective "Whodunnit" type shows, you will enjoy it. 

Opinions range wildly.  Some people think it is as good as The Wire.  Others think it is garbage on par with typical procedural dramas like CSI/Law & Order.  I think it is in the middle, but firmly leaning towards the Wire's side of things.  It is a detective show, but unlike most procedurals, cases don't wrap up tightly by the end of an episode.  In addition, there are longer term story arcs that take place simultaneously.  Big Dris brings his work boots, and he really makes the show, IMHO.  I think almost everything on the show is done well above average, but it won't matter if you do not like that type of show.  I cannot think of another show that gives a good comparison. 

Been slogging my way through the Netflix season of Arrested Development. I started when it first appeared, but I'm still less than halfway through. It's been pretty disappointing. There is far, far too much expository narration going on. I think the only episode I actually enjoyed the whole of was The B Team. At this stage, I'm just watching for the cameos.

Two other things...

2. What in the fuck happened to Steve Holt? According to IMDB, the guy is 29 years old, and yet looks 15 years older.

They gave the actor play Steve a bald cap and had him wear padding to look fatter. 

Two other things...

Once you get to the halfway point, things start falling together. Keep in mind that the season isn't meant to be linear.