DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Oh wow, the season is already done? You can spoil it. I couldn't care less. If it sounds cool, I'll probably watch it, get my hopes up for season 3, and then shake my fists at the sky when season 3 turns out to be a total shitshow. I can only hope and wish that Muppet Eyes comes back from whatever country she went to with a horrible disease and it kills off 95% of the cast and the last moments are of the shy dude with feelings for Muppet Eyes vomiting blood on documents related to a major news story that finally causes that news show and network to be wrong for once. We then cut to the very first scene from the pilot where Will was actually see a figment of his imagination when he thought he saw MacKenzie in the audience, and then next season we get the show we always should have had.

Most of season 2 has been about the network getting something wrong, like way the fuck wrong.

Show still needs more drunk Sam Waterston, and less everyone else.

Kept the TV on after Raw to see Dancing with the Stars. The Glee and High School Musical kids were blatant ringers. Valerie Harper is going to be eliminated for health reasons before actually being voted off. Bill Nye's going to hang on entirely too long because kids grew up with him. Jack Osbourne was surprisingly good.

Actually, it's Corbin Bleu and Elizabeth Berkley who are the ringers, both studied dance extensively.  Amber Riley isn't a trained dancer, and she wasn't featured as such on Glee.

Anyone catch Sleepy Hollow on Fox last night?

Thought it was pretty enjoyable with a good twist on the subject matter

It wasn't horrible. I honestly had no clue what the show was going be about till a week or two ago. When I heard they were making a "Sleepy Hollow" series I just assumed that it was going be a period piece. Apparently it did good in the overnight ratings even though outside of a likable male lead it didn't seem to bring much to the table that a million cancelled Fox genre shows didn't also.

Just finished season 8 of The Office.  Didn't realize until I was about 1/3 of the way through that there are actually 9 seasons, not 8.  I'll be starting on season 9 tonight.  I liked seasons 7 and 8 a lot more than I thought I would.  There's definitely a dropoff but I don't think the show fell off the cliff nearly as bad as people told me.  The bad parts - like the opening video for season 7 or 8, I forget which - are really bad but they are infrequent.  Thankfully, James Spader's character is not the star of the show since the character is a waste and Spader brings nothing to the table in this setting.  Glad he's gone off after season 8.  Too much Andy in season 8 but that's not a surprise after Ed Helms hit it big with The Hangover movies.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who told me to watch the whole series, and I am eagerly anticipating season 9!

Been watchng Elementary. I can't say it's better than the BBC's Sherlock, but I think I might like Miller's version of Holmes more. Cumberbatch is great, but comes off as way too much of a sociopath at times. MIller plays it less cold, is somewhat more moral, and isn't nearly as freaked out about sex.  Lucy Lui is really good too.

Didn't like the Moriarty reveal though.

I just didn't buy that a woman, who looks 29 at most, could have the experience, or intimidation skills, needed to become head of a billion-dollar assasination group.

Just finished season 8 of The Office.  Didn't realize until I was about 1/3 of the way through that there are actually 9 seasons, not 8.  I'll be starting on season 9 tonight.  I liked seasons 7 and 8 a lot more than I thought I would.  There's definitely a dropoff but I don't think the show fell off the cliff nearly as bad as people told me.  The bad parts - like the opening video for season 7 or 8, I forget which - are really bad but they are infrequent.  Thankfully, James Spader's character is not the star of the show since the character is a waste and Spader brings nothing to the table in this setting.  Glad he's gone off after season 8.  Too much Andy in season 8 but that's not a surprise after Ed Helms hit it big with The Hangover movies.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who told me to watch the whole series, and I am eagerly anticipating season 9!

I think it was more weird that outright bad. Is season 9 on Netflix?

Well, that totally solves the "Are/Were the Producers in on it?" question on Siberia.

Ester continues to be the dumbest person in existance.  And now it seems as if the entire "game" was the INFIL cover for a Merc operation.  

It actually set up for another season, but that was it.  Its over.  Kinda anti-climatic that it ends right there, with no explanation on what the hell actually went on.

Have they said they're not coming back? Did I miss it, because if that's it, we're gonna need a new "fuck you tv" thread, STAT....

So BROOKLYN NINE-NINE was pretty alright. I feel like I probably would've laughed more if I hadn't seen most of the big gags repeated over and over in commercials. Will definitely be back for next week.

Yeah I really enjoyed it.  If they can keep ol' Andy a bit subdued and play up the strong cast around him I think this could be a very good show.

So did everyone else give up on Under The Dome?  Probably a good choice.  I stuck with it and it really sputtered out at the end.  The final episode was one eye rollingly awful scene after another.

Been watchng Elementary. I can't say it's better than the BBC's Sherlock, but I think I might like Miller's version of Holmes more. Cumberbatch is great, but comes off as way too much of a sociopath at times. MIller plays it less cold, is somewhat more moral, and isn't nearly as freaked out about sex.  Lucy Lui is really good too.

Didn't like the Moriarty reveal though.

I just didn't buy that a woman, who looks 29 at most, could have the experience, or intimidation skills, needed to become head of a billion-dollar assasination group.

I will be VERY surprised if that reveal isn't retconned at some point.

Yeah, I like Elementary a whole lot more than Sherlock for basically the reasons mentioned above.  Comcast has the whole season upped on Xfinity on Demand, so I'm in the process of rewatching the season.

Regarding Moriarty:

It seems blatantly obvious that the Moriarty reveal will be undone at some point. They basically laid the groundwork in the season finale when they went out of their way to explain that Irene Adler had been traumatized and broken down by her captors. I expect that the eventual explanation will be that initial explanation was the correct one: Adler was kidnapped by Moriarty and stripped of her personality - then brainwashed into believing she was M..

I do like the idea that Moriarty could be Adler, though.  It'd be easier to buy if they had cast an older, better actress in the role.

Am I the only person who thought that they were hinting that

Sherlock's father was Moriarty

at one point.  Kinda figured that was a red herring, though.

Well, that totally solves the "Are/Were the Producers in on it?" question on Siberia.

Ester continues to be the dumbest person in existance.  And now it seems as if the entire "game" was the INFIL cover for a Merc operation.  

It actually set up for another season, but that was it.  Its over.  Kinda anti-climatic that it ends right there, with no explanation on what the hell actually went on.

Have they said they're not coming back? Did I miss it, because if that's it, we're gonna need a new "fuck you tv" thread, STAT....

From what I've read, the rating were not good at all.

So BROOKLYN NINE-NINE was pretty alright. I feel like I probably would've laughed more if I hadn't seen most of the big gags repeated over and over in commercials. Will definitely be back for next week.

Yeah I really enjoyed it. If they can keep ol' Andy a bit subdued and play up the strong cast around him I think this could be a very good show.So did everyone else give up on Under The Dome? Probably a good choice. I stuck with it and it really sputtered out at the end. The final episode was one eye rollingly awful scene after another.
Bro, we found out who the monarch was! Also, despite Barbie pleading not guilty, everyone is going to be cool with him hanging.The cop chick is the biggest idiot in the world and Junior is the worst actor I have ever seen on television. Pretty much regret seeing it until the finale.
  • Like 1

One other issue I have with Moriarty reveal...

Per the storyline, Moriarty was with Holmes for five or six months. Now we now Sherlock has the analytical skills to be able to tell basically everything about someone from a piece of dirt on their fingernails, but somehow didn't catch on that his girlfriend was lying about every aspect of who she was?Yeah, maybe he was "blinded by love" or something, but it is a stretch. Especially since he sussed out within days who she really was when he found her again.

It's too inconsistent.

Yeah, I just watched the pilot episode of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE on Hulu.  It has potential.  I didn't laugh at everything, but I laughed at enough to keep watching.  Samberg is the one they're going to have to rein in to keep it from being too silly and corny.  Fun pilot.

Yeah, I like Elementary a whole lot more than Sherlock for basically the reasons mentioned above.  Comcast has the whole season upped on Xfinity on Demand, so I'm in the process of rewatching the season.

Regarding Moriarty:

It seems blatantly obvious that the Moriarty reveal will be undone at some point. They basically laid the groundwork in the season finale when they went out of their way to explain that Irene Adler had been traumatized and broken down by her captors. I expect that the eventual explanation will be that initial explanation was the correct one: Adler was kidnapped by Moriarty and stripped of her personality - then brainwashed into believing she was M..

I do like the idea that Moriarty could be Adler, though.  It'd be easier to buy if they had cast an older, better actress in the role.

Am I the only person who thought that they were hinting that

Sherlock's father was Moriarty

at one point.  Kinda figured that was a red herring, though.

That's a really good idea and it makes sense

Besides, would Moriaty really get himself caught THAT easily? Brainwashing Irene would distract Sherlock AND make him think his worsy enemy was behind bars, giving him license to do whatever he wants.

• Like 1

Great news Justified fans...the next season will feature more Wynn Duffy.  Wynn's Dixie Mafia resourcefulness always plays well with Raylan's smart ass bad ass and Boyd's hillybilly genius. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cleveland-browns-1999-present-summed-one-incredibly-sad-184203507--nfl.html

• Like 3

I gave Arsenio a try last night. I had heard it was a carbon copy of his previous show from the 80s. Took me a minute to find it as it isn't on Fox anymore, it's on CW. I was disappointed they had new music & new graphics instead of the iconic Arsenio signature graphic. I don't think this show is going to last that long. The monologue & segments therein were LAME and the blue curtain set looked really low budget. Arsenio himself still has a lot of presence & charisma but the content just wasn't there. Granted some of the disconnect could be due to me not getting "Black humor" but it seems like the genre has passed him by. I think late night has evolved these days to where you have to be a bit edgy & the nostalgia thing just isn't gonna fly as I didn't get the sense that Arsenio was bringing anything new to the table. I didn't stick around for any of the interviews, which were usually pretty engaging in the old days. But I think most people have to be hooked by the host to watch these shows rather than just watch for the guests.