DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Watching Dawson's Creek on Netflix. The show fell off a cliff in season 3 when Kevin Willamsan left. From my memories of watching on TBS, it recovers a bit. Checking later, it aired at the same time as Buffy Season 4. This was a bad time for the WB first string. 

Dawson's Creek went on an upswing when Dawson stopped being the main character.

I really enjoyed the first two seasons, especially the second. With season 3 there was this giant cliff hanger. Where Dawson had Joey snitch on her dad for selling coke. Come back in season 3 and it is treated as not much of a big deal. I think you are right. I get the feeling they never expected the show to last one season, much less two and they were out of story lines for Dawson. 

I really like the mayor and the albino aliens on Defiance. That's about it though. It's a lot easier to watch than Continuum which is a much better show but I have to pay attention to it.

The mayor doesn't do much for me. Right now the standouts for me are Nolan, Rafe, and of course the evil albino couple.

My fear with Defiance was that since I am not playing the video game - I would be missing stuff. But I am weird like that.

Speaking of SyFy shows - I got addicted to Warehouse 13 and am now bitter that the new episodes won't be until next year and that they are only getting a 6 episode run to tie up loose ends. So basically the Eureka treatment.

That Orange is the New Black show on netflix looked horrendous, but working 3rd shift makes you watch odd things out of boredom.  I've seen the first 5 or so episodes and it's actually pretty good.  It's almost like pre-season 3 Weeds meets Oz.

I finally polished off the new season of Arrested Development.  And, while I did "like" it for the most part... did anyone else find the new tone of the show to be incredibly disconcerting and depressing?  It's like the Bluths all suddenly became radically stupider and more amoral than they already were, especially Michael. The last scene of the last episode was excruciating to watch; since when is Michael a total fucking sociopath who doesn't give one tiny shit about his son?  Buster and Job are the only ones who're allowed to have any sort of growth or improvement (not much, because it's fucking Buster and Job, but still) while everyone else is a SIGNIFICANTLY worse person than they were in the original series.  Having most of the family go for months or years without ever seeing each other was an awfully strange decision too.  And the REALLY bizarre "it doesn't really matter much what order you watch the episodes in, they're kinda all happening at the same time" conceit seems like it's little more than a bald attempt to get everyone to re-watch the season in order to get all the jokes they didn't get before.  

Watching Dawson's Creek on Netflix. The show fell off a cliff in season 3 when Kevin Willamsan left. From my memories of watching on TBS, it recovers a bit.  

Jeez, that doesn't speak well for the show.  Who the hell took over afterwards who can claim to be an even shittier writer than the hack-of-hacks Williamson?  (Oh please say it was Ehran Kruger...)

Finished The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret the other day.  Goddamn, that show is batshit insane.  The only joke I really didn't get was the shirt he was wearing that made everyone angry. I think it was BNP? Is that a politics thing or am I missing something? British National Party?

Never mind. Google helped me out.

My fear with Defiance was that since I am not playing the video game - I would be missing stuff. But I am weird like that.

Speaking of SyFy shows - I got addicted to Warehouse 13 and am now bitter that the new episodes won't be until next year and that they are only getting a 6 episode run to tie up loose ends. So basically the Eureka treatment.

I miss Eureka. Was a really fun show, even though it kinda ran out of ideas to execute near the end.

I'm really happy one of the people I really don't like was killed off WHODUNNIT. SIBERIA was pretty weak this week, but I'm looking forward to next week based off the preview.

Anyone else watch the return of WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? I thought it had it's moments, but nothing compares to the original with Clive Anderson.

I have been enjoying Siberia, but I don't know how well it has been recieved across the board. It has a good idea, I think, but it could just as easily turn the corner into a really awful show. Does anyone think it'll get a second season?

The best, most subtle Arrested Development joke of the season!  So, George Michael (the boy) is upset about being compared to George Michael (the singer) and wants to change his name, so the name he stumbles upon is George Maharis, right?  

What you may or may not know is that George Maharis was an actor in the 60s/70s.  What you probably didn't know was.

"George Maharis Arrested in Men's Room", Gay Scene, December 1974: "Famous Hollywood actor George Maharis was arrested November 21 and charged with committing a sex act with a hairdresser in the men's room of a gas station in Los Angeles...

http://www.nndb.com/people/554/000091281/

So he was arrested for pretty much the same thing as George Michael (the singer) which is exactly the kind of thing George Michael (the boy) was trying to get away from!  And just for an extra little joke, check out the name of the man Maharis was arrested with.

He was booked on a sex perversion charge along with Perfecto Telles, 33, the hairdresser, and released on $500 bail, according to police." An earlier guilty plea for a Hollywood lewd conduct arrest on 15 December 1967 with a male is also documented.

Now that is some amazing research/writing!

I have been enjoying Siberia, but I don't know how well it has been recieved across the board. It has a good idea, I think, but it could just as easily turn the corner into a really awful show. Does anyone think it'll get a second season?

The whole concept says "one season".

The whole concept says "one season".

Yeah, after thinking about it for more than two seconds, you're right. It reminds me of The River a bit, which I liked and then it got canceled. At least I got to see all of the first seaon I suppose, which other shows didn't get.

Man, watching Conan right now, Jimmy Pardo is filling in for Andy for 2 days and boy is he bombing. It's pretty cringe-worthy to hear him chime in with a joke and have the audience just react with silence.

Futurama was interesting tonight.  Didn't really like the Scooby Doo spoof, since its been done before, but the latter 2 segments were funny.  Richard Nixon mad-libbing G.I. Joe was amazing.

Oh man, The Professor as Mindbender was amazing. I didn't think the rest of the show was all that funny though.

Also, yeah, Alcatraz should have worked.

I've been watching THE X-FILES, and I noticed that Vince Gilligan is listed in the credits as a producer, so I went to look up his credits to see how long he was involved in the show, and saw the spin-off-- THE LONE GUNMEN.  I was not aware of this show at all.  Was it any good?

Under The Dome is cheesy and some of the acting is really bad...but I kind of love it. 

im really enjoying that, too. If it were the fall, id feel like an idiot, but since its the sumertime offering, i feel less of a guilty conscience.