DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Happy Saved By The Bell:The New Class day. Twenty Years ago it debuted and life was never the same.

Actual reaction by a fan when watching the premier...

"Wait, who the fuck is this average looking blond woman?" " Where's Kelly?"

I had an idea for some dark comedy series featuring the original cast in the old Bayside-

Zack, once the big man on campus, is now the principal and has become the square administrative type he once mocked.  Unable to convince the student body he's a stand up guy and one of their peers, his only source of counsel is a retired Mr. Belding, who each day slips further and further into dementia.

Lisa attempted to take over her family's business but a series of unwise investments and the recent economic crisis lead to them having to declare bankruptcy.  Destitute, she sought comfort in her old friend Zack which lead to the two of them having an affair.

Jesse's pill addiction led her to a life of stripping and prostitution and would eventually wind her up in a rehab facility.  While there her only friend was Kelly.  Crestfallen to learn of Zack's affair with Lisa, Kelly began one of her own with Jesse.

This lead to an unpleasant separation between Zack and Kelly compounded by Kelly also being on the Bayside faculty as the cheerleading coach.  Much like Zack she finds that she no longer achieves the level of status and popularity among her students that she had earlier in life.

They are not alone on the Bayside staff.  After a promising college football career was cut short due to failing a wellness violation, Slater returns to Bayside as the football coach.  Nagging injuries have forced him into a secret life of painkiller addiction.

Screech had found great success in the sciences at MIT until a nervous breakdown brought on by too many long hours of ultimately failed experiments caused him his tenure.  Now, struggling to cling to what little strands of sanity he can, he works as the school janitor and is the target of all manner of rumors and speculation from the student body.  His only companionship and source of conversation is Kevin, whose pieces lie in the janitor's closet and has actually not been able to speak for years.

• Like 1

All this talk of Saved by the Bell: The New Class has reminded me of Bianca Lawson, who was in the show during 1993. She then continued playing a high schooler when she played Kendra in Buffy. She then played a high schooler during the first season of Pretty Little Liars. This woman has not aged from 1993 to 2011. It's insane. She has to be in her mid thirties by now.

• Like 2

All this talk of Saved by the Bell: The New Class has reminded me of Bianca Lawson, who was in the show during 1993. She then continued playing a high schooler when she played Kendra in Buffy. She then played a high schooler during the first season of Pretty Little Liars. This woman has not aged from 1993 to 2011. It's insane. She has to be in her mid thirties by now.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0493161/

And yeah, she looks basically the same. Uncanny.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0493161/

And yeah, she looks basically the same. Uncanny.

While never improving as an actor. She was never even the best teen cast member on New Class. Also I'm not saying the day College Years was cancelled is the worst day of my life. But I guess I am. 

Tonight's Arsenio Hall was pretty cool. Penn and Teller were on and they brought out a guy that was Arsenio's magic teacher when he was a kid. Arsenio lost his mind. It was cool to see him so genuinely surprised and happy.

Burn Notice finale was pretty tight.  I hope they do the Sam & Jesse spin-off that has been rumored.

James wasn't nearly the arch-villain that Dead Larry Sizemore was, but he was threatening enough to be satisfying opposition this time around.  Hopefully Larry will end up not being dead and make an appearance in the rumored Sam & Jesse spin-off.

The "big death" made me cry.

I was happy to see Mike and Fiona get out of the business and live a quiet life.

Is Friday Night LIghts #1 and the best? There are a lot of shows that introduce us to a world we don't know about -- The Sopranos and The Wire, for starters. But we simply watch the characters and their stories from a safe distance. The feel in FNL is a lot different. It's like I'm an active part of the Dillon community. It's also insane to think that I'm 35-years-old and look up to Coach Taylor as a role model of how I want to live my life as a person and -- especially -- as a husband (and father when that bridge gets crossed). I also love that the show is essentially about good people who want to do good things. I cried a lot during Season 4 of The Wire because the kids were so attaching but I've cried during every episode of FNL. I just got done watching The Son from Season 4 and spent about 90 minutes dabbing my eyes out. But what's different, though, is I also cry during the triumphs like when Tyra and Smash got into college.

Also, I started watching Orange Is The New Black. Mixed results so far. The prison scenes -- especially the parts where she has to learn the levers of power -- are fascinating and amazing. The out-of-prison origin tales for the other prisoners are somewhat interesting. But man oh man could I care less about the main character and Jason Biggs' life.

I started watching Orphan Black last night and got through about four episodes. It kept giving me just enough to want to watch the next episode. I started to get way more in to it when I imagined that all of the actors from Degrassi were still playing their Degrassi characters.

Um, I would just skip the whole season, since they kinda explain enough to get the jist.  But I could just spoil the finale and save you having to trudge through the shit that was this season.

Oh wow, the season is already done? You can spoil it. I couldn't care less. If it sounds cool, I'll probably watch it, get my hopes up for season 3, and then shake my fists at the sky when season 3 turns out to be a total shitshow. I can only hope and wish that Muppet Eyes comes back from whatever country she went to with a horrible disease and it kills off 95% of the cast and the last moments are of the shy dude with feelings for Muppet Eyes vomiting blood on documents related to a major news story that finally causes that news show and network to be wrong for once. We then cut to the very first scene from the pilot where Will was actually see a figment of his imagination when he thought he saw MacKenzie in the audience, and then next season we get the show we always should have had.

Well, that totally solves the "Are/Were the Producers in on it?" question on Siberia.

Ester continues to be the dumbest person in existance.  And now it seems as if the entire "game" was the INFIL cover for a Merc operation.  

It actually set up for another season, but that was it.  Its over.  Kinda anti-climatic that it ends right there, with no explanation on what the hell actually went on.

Kept the TV on after Raw to see Dancing with the Stars. The Glee and High School Musical kids were blatant ringers. Valerie Harper is going to be eliminated for health reasons before actually being voted off. Bill Nye's going to hang on entirely too long because kids grew up with him. Jack Osbourne was surprisingly good.

Well, that totally solves the "Are/Were the Producers in on it?" question on Siberia.

Ester continues to be the dumbest person in existance.  And now it seems as if the entire "game" was the INFIL cover for a Merc operation.  

It actually set up for another season, but that was it.  Its over.  Kinda anti-climatic that it ends right there, with no explanation on what the hell actually went on.

I liked the finale for the most part (even Ester being dumb, it's at least consistent with her character), except one shot ruined what should have been a powerful scene.

The stylized close-up of the one guy moments before he shot Annie. What cameraman decided, in the middle of a shoot-out, to stay back with the guys who have already promised to kill everyone? There's suspension of disbelief, then there's throwing logic out the window completely because the director thought it was a cool idea.

It's the "point-of-view from the forklift as it closes in on The Rock" of illogical network TV drama shots.

I didn't think this show could sustain a season 2, and if it gets one, I don't know if they can drag things on for a season 3.