DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Yeah, I'm completely on board with hating on the "Luther > The Wire" statement, but I'm going to have to be a turncoat with the Spider-Man stuff. 

Childhood me isn't going to sit back and allow Spider-Man be drag through the mud.  Maybe it was the cartoon(I didn't read comics).  Maybe it was the relatable, whiny first world problems (WHAT IF ALL THESE ATTRACTIVE GIRLS WHO ARE INTO ME FIND OUT WHO I'M REALLY AM?!).  Whatever the reason, I was a Spider-Man guy...and I still not-so-secretly root for the character.

He's radioactive and shit.  Suck it, Batman.

whiny first world problems (WHAT IF ALL THESE ATTRACTIVE GIRLS WHO ARE INTO ME FIND OUT WHO I'M REALLY AM?!)

Actually I think the dead parents, uncle he indirectly caused to be killed, crippling debt, having to care for his elderly aunt and an army of super powered psychos who want him dead are bigger problems. 

• Like 1

whiny first world problems (WHAT IF ALL THESE ATTRACTIVE GIRLS WHO ARE INTO ME FIND OUT WHO I'M REALLY AM?!)

Actually I think the dead parents, uncle he indirectly caused to be killed, crippling debt, having to care for his elderly aunt and an army of super powered psychos who want him dead are bigger problems. 

Right but that's not ever really as big of a deal as his teen angst problems are. Spiderman is brutal, and the worst part about Spiderman is the fans.

ORGANIC WEBSHOOTERS WAAAAA

I was being a bit flippant, but I mostly agree.

I've heard Peter Parker isn't around in the comics now.  Interesting.

Right but that's not ever really as big of a deal as his teen angst problems are. Spiderman is brutal, and the worst part about Spiderman is the fans.

In life it is never the big things that take your focus. It is the little things that hurt, because all of your energy is focused on not letting the big things consume you. 

I didn't even know I had the Fox Soccer(now FXX) channel until a couple of days ago.  I wonder how many Sunny fans with FX, don't have the new channel.  Awkward.  It is interesting to hear the ratings weren't significantly lower than usual.

So far, FXX is basically showing reruns of comedy shows most of the day, which is fine by me.  I do hope they passed on Big Bang Theory reruns since it's already on at all hours of the day on way too many cable channels.  I guess it's Comedy Central without the standup specials and roasts. 

I still don't get why they put their original FX programming against FXX programming in the same timeslot.  I heard a theory about them wanting to avoid football.  I guess, but it's still odd.

I have Time Warner, and I didn't know until they started advertising the debut of FS1 that I even had the Speed Network.  I don't have any special sports package, and I get ESPN, ESPN2, FSOhio, and the Big Ten Network - and all are in the 1-99 channel range.  Speed was 317, bunched with a bunch of other sports channels you cannot get without the sports package - such as Fox Soccer, which was 318.

Now FS1 occupies 317 instead of Speed, and FXX is on 318, but I do not get it either.  But it is odd, now FXX is a comedy themed channel in the middle of a sea of sports networks. 

Don't be so sure, all his opinions on everything are equally as shit. His favourite superhero is fucking Spiderman, the fucking glittery vampire equivalent in the marvel world.

Ban plz.

• Like 2

Just watched this last week's Under The Dome... I'm out. *Washes hands and walks away*

Seriously the first few episodes were good but the further they veer away from the book (and they are completely away from it now) the worse it gets. The last 3 episodes have been shit.

Just saw that the Expanse novels(the SF series that starts with Leviathan's Wake) has been picked up for development. It feels like the exact right kind off story for TV, but the visuals might take a hard hit as may the body horror factor. Of course, there's a better than even chance it never gets filmed anyway.

With all the Wire / Luther chat, thought I would mention that Low Winter Sun is like the methadone substitute of the Wires heroin.  Its building slowly and Im digging it more each week.

Yeah, it is not a bad show at all.  Very Wire-ish in the sense that they are slowly revealing how characters that seem unrelated are connected.

Just watched this last week's Under The Dome... I'm out. *Washes hands and walks away*

Seriously the first few episodes were good but the further they veer away from the book (and they are completely away from it now) the worse it gets. The last 3 episodes have been shit.

Oddly enough the episode that aired this past Monday was the first one I've enjoyed in quite some time. 

I'm giving the book a second read right now and I'm actually shocked at how far off the series is from it.  I knew there were lots of changes, but outside of a few character names and the general premise of a dome it's not really related to the book at all.

LOW WINTER SUN is an even more generic "prestige drama" than RAY DONOVAN.

At least DONOVAN attempts to have some sense of humor about itself, whereas LWS is just the most deathly serious boring bullshit I've seen since the first season of THE KILLING.

He is by far the worst thing about it. Although Mark Strong weeping while getting a handjob from a prostitute might have been the overall low point for the series.

I didn't ever need to see Mark Strong in a boxing ring. Even for a TV show, he is....dreadful. 

Eh, fuck it. . .there's only two episodes left. I've invested this much time in it. . .could just as well see what the payoff is.

He is by far the worst thing about it. Although Mark Strong weeping while getting a handjob from a prostitute might have been the overall low point for the series.

I didn't ever need to see Mark Strong in a boxing ring. Even for a TV show, he is....dreadful. 

I hope his next gig is as a boxer in the Mexican cartel.