DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

It's part of their branding initiative to get each channel to have consistent programming. FXX is comedy, FX is drama type shit, FS1 is sports. Considering Fox Soccer and Speed were niche channels, converting them into broader channels and at least getting everything consistent is a smart move IMO. I think they're running the risk of cannibalizing their audience with Sunny/The League going up against TUF, but I'd be willing to bet that they're putting more stock into +3/7 numbers with programming available on Comcast ondemand right away, as opposed to a week later (which drove me up the wall last year)

I didn't even know I had the Fox Soccer(now FXX) channel until a couple of days ago.  I wonder how many Sunny fans with FX, don't have the new channel.  Awkward.  It is interesting to hear the ratings weren't significantly lower than usual.

So far, FXX is basically showing reruns of comedy shows most of the day, which is fine by me.  I do hope they passed on Big Bang Theory reruns since it's already on at all hours of the day on way too many cable channels.  I guess it's Comedy Central without the standup specials and roasts. 

I still don't get why they put their original FX programming against FXX programming in the same timeslot.  I heard a theory about them wanting to avoid football.  I guess, but it's still odd.

Looking at the guide, I see Arrested Development, Parks & Reds, HIMYM, Freaks & Geeks, the Hughleys, Spin City, Sports Night...lots of stuff you don't see elsewhere (of course). DIfferent is good.

So far, FXX is basically showing reruns of comedy shows most of the day, which is fine by me.  I do hope they passed on Big Bang Theory reruns since it's already on at all hours of the day on way too many cable channels.  It's basically Comedy Central without the standups specials and roasts. 

You can tell the Sunny cast hates the idea. It is a terrible idea all around.

Have they said something publicly? I thought it was a perfectly fine Sunny episode. I do gotta 2nd the wisdom of putting the comedies up against The Bridge. Why not put the comedies back on Thursday?

I was sorta hoping that there'd be more to FXX like completely uncensored and unedited versions of the programming on FX with limited commercial interruption. 

Kinda like IFC.

I am still waiting for uncensored / unedited versions of Archer and American Horror Story.

Have they said something publicly? I thought it was a perfectly fine Sunny episode. I do gotta 2nd the wisdom of putting the comedies up against The Bridge. Why not put the comedies back on Thursday?

I thought it was a really funny episode.  And while I can't prove it, I'd like to go with the rumor floating out there that the comedy club scene was a nod to Breaking Bad, with Huell doing stand-up and Dennis' loser friend "Walt" looking an awful lot like Vince Gilligan.

Oh the episode was funny. I mean reading their twitter feeds, the cast seems concerned about the change. But they can't say it. But that is mind reading on my part.

You should have queitly backed away from your Luther opinion. How is that NOT a good show? Top notch acting and writing. Again I point to the Alice Morgan interrogation scene in the first episode. It's not even an arguement, it's a fantastic scene.

• Like 2

It's nonsense! People constantly do stupid, unbelievable, unrealistic shit because the plot requires it. Look at the last episode. The bad guy completely forgets the reason he was doing the things he did, forgets the intended goal he had, all so there can be "a difficult choice for John Luther to make". It's guff, and its one thing to praise Elba,or the opening credits, or even some of the dialogue, but to compare it favourably to a show like The Wire is absurd and awful.

Luther was good (not great) in the first series I've watched, but I think my level of goodwill would drop significantly if Idris wasn't the lead.  Outside of Luther and Alice(I heard she doesn't even have much of a role in series 2), I didn't care too much about any of the other characters, which is never a good sign and highlights why comparing it to The Wire is odd.  I need to watch the second series before I say it's an uneven show, but the stuff I've read about it hasn't pushed me to finish it.  Especially the plot complaints.

It's nonsense! People constantly do stupid, unbelievable, unrealistic shit because the plot requires it. Look at the last episode. The bad guy completely forgets the reason he was doing the things he did, forgets the intended goal he had, all so there can be "a difficult choice for John Luther to make". It's guff, and its one thing to praise Elba,or the opening credits, or even some of the dialogue, but to compare it favourably to a show like The Wire is absurd and awful.

I agree with this.  The show is enjoyable, entertaining, and worth watching, but I don't think I would call it good.  It is a fine hour of entertainment, but the entire show is generally a parade of bullshit that happens not because it makes sense, but to make the show more interesting.  With that said, I like the show, but comparing it to The Wire is crazy to me.

• Like 1

You do realize that you and Vile One get into this same deal EVERY TIME a new season of LUTHER comes around, right? Almost verbatim. He is clearly baiting you at this point.

Yeah, but we need something to wank about before the weekend.  Breaking Bad is not until Sunday night and Dave Chappelle rants can only go so far.

Luther has really good acting especially from Elba but also from a lot of the secondary characters but the plots are pretty much Criminal Minds nonsense. I like the show fine, watched all three seasons but I don't even think it is as good as something like Banshee, comparing it to the Wire is deranged

• Like 1

Luther has really good acting especially from Elba but also from a lot of the secondary characters but the plots are pretty much Criminal Minds nonsense. I like the show fine, watched all three seasons but I don't even think it is as good as something like Banshee, comparing it to the Wire is deranged

YES! Exactly this!

Don't be so sure, all his opinions on everything are equally as shit. His favourite superhero is fucking Spiderman, the fucking glittery vampire equivalent in the marvel world.

You were doing good with Luther, but Spiderman is probably right behind Batman when it comes to most beloved comic book characters.  Spiderman/Peter Parker is almost a perfect character.