DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Allison Pill is the worst. THE WORST. And the funniest thing about her/it is this muppet of a person made herself look exactly like a muppet with her appearance in the first episode.

Nothing about this show is good. Anything interesting has been replaced with shitty romance sub-plots. The Newsroom should just be Sam Waterson and Jeff Daniels tearing it up each week, and instead, Sam Waterson is the only one without a romance sub-plot and he and Daniels were made to look like complete boobs in the last episode.

I would pull a near total reboot of the show and just have Olivia Munn, Allison Pill, the dude who was dating Allison Pill, the dude who is pining for Allison Pill, and maybe even Neal and just have them all die in a fire. The show then focuses on Will and Charlie wanting to get the news right, not always doing so, but battling it out with two new characters to replace Jane Fonda and her son because those two characters died in a drowning. The new boss at ACN is played by Bradley Whitford being a complete dick and his underling is played by Adam Brody being a snarky dick. Oh, and Will's new producer is played by John Goodman. Why? Why not, I say! Oh, what happened with Emily Mortimer? She went to a different network.

I guess you need some women for this show, so get Allison Janney on board. And which actress could use a decent boost because their movie career stagnated...Hmmm...What's Christina Ricci up to? Courtney Cox? Meg Ryan? And none of them get romantically involved. 

There must also be a rival network. A Fox News to their MSNBC, if you will. The big bad over there is played by either Dr. Cox (name escapes me at the moment) or Jeff Goldblum or both. Then you throw in Lena Olin or Marla Sokolof (random, I know) as the big bad female reporter over there. 

Other than getting rid of Olivia Munn, I am on board with this.

I'm glad I'm not the only person watching Under the Dome.

Yeah, the entire concept is utterly ridiculous, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far.

They just announced season 2.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I've enjoyed it so far, but in a guilty pleasure sort of way.  It's just good enough that I don't give up on it.  Sort of like The Walking Dead.  I was all in for a 13 episode mini series, but I think the premise will stretch really thin if it continues.  We shall see.

Whodunnit! is simultaneously the best and worst show I'm watching right now. It's so campy and over the top, but the premise is awesome and they'e managed to get me genuinely invested in who wins this and who the killer is.

I think it speaks more to the state of this season's Dexter when I'm paying more attention to a reality show about a fake serial killer than a drama about a serial killer.

Is anyone else watching Orphan Black? Pretty fun.

The storyline is a bit predictable, but balanced out by how amazing Tatiana Maslany is in the lead role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do_BCA-vR9E

I was pleasantly surprised by it. They still need a less predictable storyline as you mentioned as well as one or two better actors so she isn't doing all the heavy lifting in that show.

Whodunnit! is simultaneously the best and worst show I'm watching right now. It's so campy and over the top, but the premise is awesome and they'e managed to get me genuinely invested in who wins this and who the killer is. I think it speaks more to the state of this season's Dexter when I'm paying more attention to a reality show about a fake serial killer than a drama about a serial killer.

I like the show, but there's really no way to figure out who the killer is by using any sort of logic.I'm also curious as to whether/how it's possible for the killer to win, since eventually it's going to come down to one-on-one by the looks of it, and whoever is not the killer is obviously going to know who it is by then.The only thing I can think of is when it gets down to 4 or 5 people left, if no one names the killer, then the killer wins.

I started watching America's Got Talent last year because of Stern, and now it's a total guilty pleasure. And that Mel B. is amazing hot.

I'm one of the biggest Stern fans there could be but he's pretty boring on AGT. Radio Howard would pull the parents of those ballroom dancing kids on stage and give them shit. AGT Howard loved them, I couldn't believe it.

That was the Howard of days gone by. He's too soft now. Can you imagine Stern in the 80's/90's being friends with Rosie O'Donnell?

The Sirius show now is unlistenable. Ronnie the Limo Driver, Lisa G, AGT talk, Eric the Midget.... no thanks. Not the same guy or show.

I still love the radio show. Old Howard still comes through at times. I think it's just a matter of aging and finding some measure of happiness in his personal life. I just hope this is it with AGT. It's been talked about like 87 times but I'd love to see Howard have a Barbara Walters style interview show after his Sirius contract runs out. Think if they put it on HBO. Only problem are there enough interesting and relevant people who would sit down for his style of interview.

Whodunnit! is simultaneously the best and worst show I'm watching right now. It's so campy and over the top, but the premise is awesome and they'e managed to get me genuinely invested in who wins this and who the killer is. I think it speaks more to the state of this season's Dexter when I'm paying more attention to a reality show about a fake serial killer than a drama about a serial killer.

I like the show, but there's really no way to figure out who the killer is by using any sort of logic.I'm also curious as to whether/how it's possible for the killer to win, since eventually it's going to come down to one-on-one by the looks of it, and whoever is not the killer is obviously going to know who it is by then.The only thing I can think of is when it gets down to 4 or 5 people left, if no one names the killer, then the killer wins.

There's only three episodes left, with five living people...so the final show should have three of them, which should be a nice way to put them against one another. I think they're subtlely planting clues, like the stuffing in the shoes this week ruling out a man with bigger feet.

Whilst the dialogue is fine and witty, Newsroom took a HUGE nosedive thusfar.  Like, this season is total shit compared to last season, and that had its problems.

Whilst the dialogue is fine and witty, Newsroom took a HUGE nosedive thusfar.  Like, this season is total shit compared to last season, and that had its problems.

I've already given up. I'm shocked at how fucking horrible this season is. It's mind-blowing for how much the quality has dipped. Someone needs to give Sorkin a giant bowl of coke because the Newsroom is totally uninspired and boring. It's what I would expect out of a failing NBC drama. I don't even like the dialogue because when the rest of the show is suffering, the dialogue comes off as fake and hokey. Gilmore Girls (a good show, mind you) is light years ahead of the Newsroom as far as dialogue goes at this point.

Now, the real money show is Ray Donovan. Ho-ly shit is that show good. Jon Voight plays the biggest creep ever, Liev is awesome, his brothers are seriously messed up, and FRANK F'N WHALEY is a dorky ass FBI agent and goddamn, Frank Whaley looks old as shit now. I'm a little worried because the show is moving along at such a brisk clip that it feels like the show creators had this great idea in mind for this season and so they're just blowing their load, getting every good they had on screen. That's going to leave them with significantly less time to develop as strong of a second season. Call it the Homeland effect.

As mentioned in the cartoons thread,

RIP michael ansara

Mr freeze on BTAS

commander kang on star trek

Guest shots on I dream of jeannie (he was married to barbara eden)

Cochise on Broken Arrow (before my time admittedly)

The last episode of Donovan ("The Golem") was awesome. I like the concept of a 'fixer' having everything fall apart on him engrossing, and I think that's why they put so much stuff in a single episode. A day in the life of Ray Donovan involves so many problems that they constantly push him to the breaking point, and before you know it he's at the bottom of the whisky bottle again. And then something WORSE happens. 

Since I keep tying these two together, the last episode of Magic City was a firecracker and the final three are gonna be great. After such a wait it's nice to see the simmer come to a boil and shit starting to hit the fan.

...so Time Warner Cable apparently dropped Showtime mid-negotiations. I really cannot wait until I move out of an apartment and drop this crappy cable.

This is a thing for all carriers now.  Dish has a big grind coming up with Showtime and ESPN I think.

I'll be interested in the ESPN one.  Right now ESPN gets some obscene amount like $6 per month per subscriber.  That's $6 of your bill going to that one channel (or group of channels).  They just signed those huge deals with MLB and whoever....so they'll probably try for $10/subscriber carriage fees this time.

Meanwhile the new Fox Sports 1 is asking I think 23 cents per subscriber.

I kind of hope Dish loses ESPN for awhile and offers people something to try and make up for it.  If they gave me the Redzone channel free until January, ESPN can fuck off.

• Like 1

...so Time Warner Cable apparently dropped Showtime mid-negotiations. I really cannot wait until I move out of an apartment and drop this crappy cable.

Meanwhile the new Fox Sports 1 is asking I think 23 cents per subscriber.

I think that is what they currently get for the Speed channel, which is being re-branded as FS1.  I think they want to up it to something like $0.80 per subscriber.

Holy crap is the sexy new vampire lady that owns Jason Stackhouse now the hottest person to have ever been on TRUE BLOOD?

She was also House's wife/maid on HOUSE when he married her to help her get her greencard. 

She's Melisandre-esque in this.