DVDVR Message Board

Southpaw Regional Wrestling

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I think it might be Kane.  He has experience as a Creature and I'm sure he had the green tights someplace.

I know you're just cracking wise, but Kane's been off the road since December so I think we can at least rule him out.

I was a little worried considering how much Vince hates southern wrasslin' and their usual brand of "comedy", but yeah clearly they are just letting these guys do what they want and it was pretty great. How more of these guys weren't corpsing is amazing.

I'm starting to think Vince is at the point of "as long as it gets eyeballs on the product and doesn't hurt the stock, go for it".  He seems to be 99% hands off at this point, besides the overall direction of a few things.

If concussion awareness wasn't a thing (and I'm so glad it is) then doing some amnesia angles to bring some of these characters in would be amazing.  It's not like the Ascension would be LESS over.

• Like 1

This is probably the first time a WWE ad tie-in has been done well. It completely fits the concept of the parody and the Ric Flair impersonator is just icing on the cake. It beats the hell out of Enzo the Chicken Fucker at any rate.

• Like 5

I'm kinda disappointed we didn't see a couple matches.  A horribly choreographed Surf Dudes with Attitudes match would have been appreciated.

Some of it was too over the top (the mustache gags), but it was still funny.  Rusev trying to talk southern and still keep his Bulgarian accent was amazing.  Fandango's scalp rocketing its way to baldness was funny since I assume all four episodes are supposed to be from the same month.  I do wish he had worn a shirt that hid his arm tats better.

The mustache was amusing,  I think John Johnson and the Banker had the same fake mustache.  Is it me, or is Johnson's mustache on upside down?  Jack Johnson's...um... promo reminds me of a couple promos in the "How Not to Cut a Promo" thread.

I lost it a couple secs into the first episode when Tex Ferguson got out of his car wearing the Ribera Steakhouse jacket.  And I think Anderson had on Zubaz a couple secs later, didn't he?

There was a time when i woulda wanted a powder blue Z28.  Not anytime recently, mind you, but there was a time.

Someone needs to explain the joke about Tex's kid to me.  i guess the name means something, but the joke went right over my head.

The luchador has to be Luke Harper, right?  Too tall to be most guys and too much body hair for most of the roster.  Also, Brodie Lee started out his career as a really tall x-division flippy guy, then toned it down by the time he got to Chikara, so I'm guessing that's a bit of a rib. 

48 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

The luchador has to be Luke Harper, right?  Too tall to be most guys and too much body hair for most of the roster.  Also, Brodie Lee started out his career as a really tall x-division flippy guy, then toned it down by the time he got to Chikara, so I'm guessing that's a bit of a rib. 

That and La Barba Grande = The Big Beard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Finally saw this. It reminds me of the JBL & Cole (& Renee) show in WWE just letting the talent fuck around and post the stuff on youtube. There is a bit more work to it, but still fun.

It felt a little more like how the JBL/Cole show WOULD have felt like if guys like Cena and Jericho ("Mom and dad") realized how much fun everyone was having and suddenly made it a lot less fun by joining in on the act.

• Like 1

Someone posted this on Squared Circle on Reddit, I can't find the whole thing but it had me laughing my ass off. Chet's wife is Susan and she is the Susie that Tex and Chad 2 Badd are fighting over and she had the kid Terry Gene.

Essentially Tex is Hulk's father.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It felt a little more like how the JBL/Cole show WOULD have felt like if guys like Cena and Jericho ("Mom and dad") realized how much fun everyone was having and suddenly made it a lot less fun by joining in on the act.

I have to disagree. The gradual break down of Lance Catamaran was wonderful.

• Like 6

Cagematch.net gave me no results when I searched for Utica. Really.

Thus, I can only surmise that Catamaran loved the wrestling business so much that he left that town in order to find an actual promotion to work for.