DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (Here be Spoilers)

RIPPA

More fun today with platinum:

1. People try to play in this camping spot on the second level of Sandstorm, and it's pretty skeery. One guy was on the game chat talking about how him and a buddy did the on platinum with just the two of them. "We'll see," I thought to myself, and sure enough, he got the shit beat out of him in our game.

2. Getting ready to play with three folks, and one guy gets two kick votes. He didn't have the highest APEX ever, but he was fine, had a decent-level character. Saw no reason to kick him. So we start, and one of the two guys sends me a message to kick the other "because he doesn't know how to play platinum." Guy did fine, did some stupid shit, but so does everybody. He gets killed late and misses extraction, but hell, that's common, extraction is tough. So of course I got the "told you we should've kicked him" message. Calm down, Skippy, it ain't that important.

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, jstout said:

More fun today with platinum:

1. People try to play in this camping spot on the second level of Sandstorm, and it's pretty skeery. One guy was on the game chat talking about how him and a buddy did the on platinum with just the two of them. "We'll see," I thought to myself, and sure enough, he got the shit beat out of him in our game.

2. Getting ready to play with three folks, and one guy gets two kick votes. He didn't have the highest APEX ever, but he was fine, had a decent-level character. Saw no reason to kick him. So we start, and one of the two guys sends me a message to kick the other "because he doesn't know how to play platinum." Guy did fine, did some stupid shit, but so does everybody. He gets killed late and misses extraction, but hell, that's common, extraction is tough. So of course I got the "told you we should've kicked him" message. Calm down, Skippy, it ain't that important.

1) This may sound funny, but I have had the most success with Platinum matches on Sandstorm with players who camp behind the two comm towers on the top of the habitat on the far stage right of the map.  Pathing issues seem to keep enemies from flanking you from behind and enemies seem to funnel in nicely for Tech combos or attacks from player constructs like turrets and bots.

2) Yeah, it's not that serious.  So long as one guy makes it to the shuttle, everyone gets paid.

The Weekend APEX Mission should be rolling around again today.  If anyone wants to take a crack at it again and sees me online, send me an invite.

I finally completed out the Widow and Thokin challenges over the weekend, so I think I am one challenge away from AR Mastery Gold and two or three away from SR Mastery Silver.  I've started using the Reegar Carbine with my Angaran Exemplar.  The thematic all electric offense is kinda fun.

I got the new Angaran burst fire assault rifle from a Not Quite So Disappointing Pack, but I haven't tried it out yet.  The Shorty seems to be my new Blue Unicorn as far as guns go that I have yet to unlock.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just making my calendar since I am sure I will be infuriated again a week from tomorrow (Tuesday)

God willing, I will celebrate N7 Day by knocking out these last of the four achievements that are still locked and turning this game into GS for a few bucks in store credit.

There is no way I am waiting until next August to read about what happened to the Quarian ark.  Fuck that book.

Just had a great series of platinum games with the No. 2 guy on XBox. We were playing the Nova deal on Magma, and y'all may not believe this, but dude is really good. He was the Salarian who can give shield boosts, and I never hurt for shields. He had it down to a science. I could hang back and shotgun the living crap out of everything that got near me. I could stand with them toe to toe because I never had to worry about losing shields. I think all four of us may have died a combined two times in our last game. 

Also found out something new - you can get variants of Ultra-Rare guns without having all of them up to 10 (or even having all of them, for that matter). I''ve got several UR guns at 1 and 2, a couple at 5 or 6 and I'm missing three completely. So I got the Naladen sniper rifle up to 10. I figure that's the last I'll see of it for a while, because I won't get variants on it until I get the rest of the ultra-rares up to 10 (kinda like how the characters work). But I got the Bulwark variant of it in my last pack.

So there's several ultra-rare guns I'd like to have and several I''d like to level up, and the game just introduced 29 new ultra-rares into my pool by allowing me to get the Naladen's variants.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Just making my calendar since I am sure I will be infuriated again a week from tomorrow (Tuesday)

I'm expecting a video that tells us that Shepard survived the encounter on the Citadel after all, followed by a shot of the Normandy flying directly into the sun.

Because fuck us, am I right?

21 hours ago, jstout said:

Just had a great series of platinum games with the No. 2 guy on XBox. We were playing the Nova deal on Magma, and y'all may not believe this, but dude is really good.

The Top 10 guys on Xbox are ridiculously good and the Number One guy is actually a helpful human being.

Yeah, the fucking Weekend Silver APEX is total beast.  I wiped twice with teams that didn't act like teams while trying to level up my Artificer.  I had to resort to playing my Level 20 Human Male Infiltrator XX and sniping from the roof.  When someone inevitably went down, I cloaked and went on a Revive run. 

Berserkers and Adhi were killing Level 20 / Sub Rank X tech and biotic characters with one charge even if they had a full shield or barrier up.  There was a lot of "WHAT THE FUCK~?" going on over game chat.

We managed to get a full and *surprise* I was the top guy for points in the match.

I had Gold medal for Revives, Kills, Sniper Rifle Kills, Weak Point Kills, and Combat Powers since I chucked nearly every Sticky Grenade I could get my hands on.

The XP from those matches got me to Rank 4 for my Health Regeneration Cap Bonus Stat, so that's something. 

I noticed that it is back in my queue again, so if anyone on XB1 hasn't beaten the mission a second or third time and wants to try, PM me if you see me online.  I will probably use my Turian Agent this time around to score on some more SR Kills and earn points towards my Viper SR challenge and level up my Max Shields Bonus Stat.

I should be home around 5PM EST.

Just played Platinum with two other guys - didn't have a fourth, so I was doubting our long-term success anyway. I was the Krogan, but the Salarian was too busy shooting shit to give me shield boosts, so I sat there with my dick out, dying, most of the time.

Then get this. This nearly made me start throwing controllers: Wave 4 is devices. Avenger takes off after the first one and dies. I've got problems of my own, so I don't notice that fhe Avenger is staying down, waiting for one of us to come revive him on a devices wave. Needless to say, timer ran out, game over, and I couldn't leave fast enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jstout said:

Just played Platinum with two other guys - didn't have a fourth, so I was doubting our long-term success anyway. I was the Krogan, but the Salarian was too busy shooting shit to give me shield boosts, so I sat there with my dick out, dying, most of the time.

Then get this. This nearly made me start throwing controllers: Wave 4 is devices. Avenger takes off after the first one and dies. I've got problems of my own, so I don't notice that fhe Avenger is staying down, waiting for one of us to come revive him on a devices wave. Needless to say, timer ran out, game over, and I couldn't leave fast enough.

Ow. 

And I hear ya.  Yesterday's fiascos with the Weekend APEX have reminded me that some missions require serious coordination and teamwork.

Good to play with the night shift again last night.  melraz and I two manned a platinum for a while till we got a third and a fourth in waves three and four.  Then we pretty much two manned the rest of it as well.  Shitty bike was shitty.  Shittier bike was shittier.  We both had gold revive medals by early wave five.  Took 35 minutes to complete that thing.  Somehow we got full extraction.  On the plus side, I learned that grenades repopulate in the ammo boxes during a wave, if you give em long enough. 

Then Stout finally got his ass online, and we got back to business as usual - earning Stout revive medals.

Playing platinums legit is a lot more fun, but if you wanna get paid fast, the nova method sure is a whole lot faster if everybody knows their shit.  I'm pretty sure I fell asleep at least once on in that last match, just spawning right bumper over and over.

Had pretty good luck with disappointment packs for once.  Got four N7's from three packs towards the end.  All vanilla rare guns are up to ten now.  So now I'm in the boat of getting a thousand variations of existing stuff.

Only match I failed yesterday was that silver Apex.  We only even made it to wave six.  Had crappy teammates that would pop unnecessarily on survival waves, then not pop on the objectives.  Everybody else was perma-dead by the time I got the second retrieval done on wave six, so I just stood in front of a charging Krogan and let the inevitable happen.

• Haha 1

You don't really need coordination, but as the Rock says, you do have to know your role.

If you're the team's only cloaker, you damn well better be ready to lay it all out there on objectives waves. I've failed them before, but it wasn't for lack of trying. It's no time to try to be saving revives, and if you're out already, best be spending time working on the basics.

I gotta work on my Salarian, because I've been given the chance to be shield booster a few times now and the character's just a Level 7. I wanna see how that plays, because it cheeses me when a Salarian is out front shooting shit and not shield boosting. That's his role in the Nova games. Any other kills are appreciated, but shouldn't get in the way of goal 1 - shield boosting. Everybody has a role, and anyone playing should know their role or know what the team lacks and adjust.

• Haha 1

Whenever I play my Salarian Operator, usually no one wants to stand near me to get Shield Boosted because they are too busy running around trying to score points.

I have been in a few Gold matches where I got to serve as the official kinetic barrier copper top for the entire squad. I felt surprisingly useful despite not getting a bunch of kills.

I noted that using the Venom Shotgun for carpet bomb suppression fire or the Scorpion for pinpoint targeting of skull destroying explosives worked best for me as far as gun selection goes for designated shield regenerator duty goes.

Just joined a platinum with the #3 apex dude. He was only level 14 but hell he knows what hes doing. I join right at the end of wave 1. I kill the last enemy. He killed the whole wave. 

Wave 2 starts and its upload. Luckily im the avenger. 2 were in shitty spots. Finished the last one with under 2 seconds left. Had to use 3 ammo packs too. 

2 other teammates join on wave 3 and yup one of em was shitty bike. 

Just glad the other objectives were devices and retrievals. The 4th guy kept trying to do them. He died and yup id jump his dead ass to get em done. 

• Haha 2

The Top 10 Xbox players for ME Multiplayer must be high schoolers, college students, or Europeans.

Obviously they are well into their game time while I am still at work.

Heading to the crib now.  I should be online by 5PM or so.

With nearly 80% of the game complete, I am now Level 100 and am still ranging from Rank 3 to Rank 4 in my pure Biotic and Biotic Hybrids profiles.

I am starting to get nervous about hitting Rank 6 in everything during this playthrough.

I may have to resort to random encounter murder after the epilogue to hit the limits and unlock the High Performance achievement because I refuse to start another New Game+.

5 hours ago, jstout said:

Got the dalm Avenger up to XX-20. Now lack one more of the Human Kineticist to have all the ultra rares at XX.

Don't care about her, so I'm buying arsenal packs. Finally got the harpoon gun. Don't really care.

I love the Kineticist now that I've respecced her to be Carrie on Steroids.  

Most of my matches with her now look like this:

I can now say that I have destroyed a Hydra by using Pull / Throw to lob an explosive container at it and then followed it up with Lance to detonate a Fire Combo after letting the Incinerate effect tenderize it for a few seconds..

So this trick actually works.

Now my biggest pet peeve is when other players shoot the enemies I have Pulled and kill them before I can Throw them at another target.

I couldn't give a rat's ass about the Kishook.  Hated it in ME3 multiplayer and still hate it now.  Haven't fired a shot with it and don't intend to.  I can get to SR Mastery Gold without ever equipping it.

The Kineticist is fun to play around with.  I had fun playing outlaw skeet with melraz last time I brought her out.  I dunno if I'd use her in gold or platinum, though.  I'm sure it's doable, I'm just not sure it's doable by me.  And I doubt I'd want to do it, even if I could.  My approach at this point is reduced to:

bronze, silver, gold in the right circumstances - Kroguard

most gold, legit platinum - Avenger

Nova platinum - Gladiator

times when I don't want to get near stuff (think glass jaw) - Human Sentinel

Combotastic - Asari Adept

Everybody else can pretty much kick rocks.  We'll see when the two new ones come out.  I'll get em to 20, so I have everybody there, but they're gonna have to work hard to make it into regular rotation afterwards.  Still haven't made it to X on an ultra rare.  Gladiator is at VIII, which is my highest.

I use her on some Gold missions but never on an APEX with any match modifier that fucks with health or power damage.

Playing Outlaw Skeet with other players is how I figured out that you can detonate combos by using enemies under the influence of a primer.  I love blowing up Hydras by chucking flaming Raiders at them.

I have started using my Batarian Vanguard on Combotasics more often than my Asari Adept.  I wish I had made a clip of me punching a Berserker off of the Firebase Derelict map during a Silver Combotastic match

This year marks 10 years since the release of Mass Effect. In that time, we’ve made friends, fallen in love, and traveled to new galaxies.

We’ve watched our community grow, as all of you shared your love of this universe, wore your N7 with pride, and told us stories about your Shepard and Ryder.

This N7 day, we’re celebrating how far we’ve all come together, and looking back on a decade of Mass Effect. Check back at www.masseffect.com/n7 next Tuesday, November 7, to see all the great surprises, offers, and giveaways we have in store as we celebrate #teN7.

Thank you for coming with us to the stars and beyond. It’s been a hell of a ride. We can’t wait to see what the future holds.

–BioWare

Between this and the VA Governor election - there is no way I don't stroke out by the end of Tuesday

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not really giving a shit about teN7.  With the DLC not coming out, celebration rings hollow.

I am sure they will kill my N7 Day buzz by "giving away" free admission to the Anthem beta and this will just anger me more.

The new Bronze APEX Weekend mission was a bit of a challenge with Jammed Weapons and One Life To Live in effect.  My party of noobs nearly wiped at the end.  Thankfully the match was the standard seven waves instead of eleven.

I am definitely looking forward to Election Day though.  Everything smells like wet earth from all of the mudslinging going on in the ad campaigns for the VA Governor's race.