DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (Here be Spoilers)

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Robert C said:

Bought one of the new 500K packs, which was a waste of 500K.  One drop of the new character, an N7 sniper rifle I don't want, and a bunch of rare guns I'll never use.  A 500K super reserve pack might be worth it, but the 500K premium can kiss my ass.

The only thing the 500K Premium did was upgrade my Artificer from Tier I to Tier VIII and it also upgraded two of my sniper rifles from VI to X. 

My APEX rating went up a whopping thirteen points.

That pack can go fuck itself.

The developers said buying a 500K premium pack was exactly the same as buying 5 100K premium packs individually - no increased odds. Since I don't wanna buy premium packs, I wanna buy reserves packs, I passed on the offer and kept buying reserves. I'm 43 ultra-rare character cards away from having them all to XX. 

OK, played me a lot more Platinum this afternoon. What I found out is that you can go into Platinum like you would any other level and not strategize much and finish, but it will be a haul and you will need lots and lots of luck. I played as a Juggernaut (team recommendation, not my favorite) - he's tanky, but I have to give his loadout more thought. Also played as the Avenger - did fine, could've done better, could've done worse. Figured out how to do Avenger Strikes in Platinum - carefully. They're most effective late in the wave when you're not diving into a pile of four enemies, obviously.

There's that little stairway near where everybody tends to hover on the left-hand side of the screen on Derelict (the old ship), right? I was joined in that tiny hallway by two Hydras and a Krogan at one point. I think I was out of RPGs. That's another thing - you go in like that, you better have a full selection of consumables and know you're gonna use them all. I would at least recommend that everyone stay on the same half of the map to make reviving easier, and that everyone wait to use a revive until you're about to get stomped or it's obvious no one's gonna save you. Revives are precious, precious things. You will use them all. I'm mixed about staying together if you don't have a solid plan - it's an enemy magnet. Sometimes it helped to basically get as far away from everyone as possible in order to draw some of the heat away from everyone else.

I died twice in one game just trying to zoom around the map and stay out of trouble during extraction. You can't really stay out of trouble. Trouble is everywhere. I remember once thinking "this is the hardest wave I have played on this game in ages, I don't see how we made it through." It was Wave 2. 

I think in a situation where the team's not obviously playing together using the Krogan-Krogan Nova method, I'm going with the Avenger specced just like she is now. You do have to shoot tons more. I need to put a ton more thought into weapons. It's crucial to be able to slip out of a room undetected when the Hydras start stacking up like cord wood.

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find people to play Platinum, and usually when you do, it's people with 1,400 APEX ratings playing Level 12 characters.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jstout said:

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find people to play Platinum, and usually when you do, it's people with 1,400 APEX ratings playing Level 12 characters.

I try to play Platinum at least once a week and yeah, it is not the arena for carrying newbies.

There is not so much tactics going on in Platinum as it is just gaming the game. 

That's why I usually stick to Gold as my extreme difficulty of choice.

The game has gamed us about half to death.

Gold gets a little hairy at times, but is manageable unless your teammates are completely stupid. Platinum is just this "holy shit" spectacle. I passed on the Platinum APEX mission because it was against Remnant - I have a hard time against Destroyers in Gold, much less 10 a wave in Platinum.

Fuck Remnant.

I played 2 matches for the dailies yesterday.  Both were ugly. 

First one had people that clearly were in over their heads on gold.  My game plan was this - I'm gonna run around, do all the objectives and kill everything more menacing than an assembler.  Y'all stay huddled up, die a bunch, and revive each other.  If all three of you die at once, y'all better pop.  I ain't coming up there to save your asses.  I know there were at least two occasions when all three were down simultaneously.

Second match I had slightly better teammates, so I did revive em, including all three back to back on wave four or five.  Somehow I only got a silver revive medal. 

I know I'm not great at this game, so it's always weird to me when I totally outclass everybody else in the match.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Suckers

Don't you have a Crucible on Uranus to go to?

What I hate is what I unaffectionally call "The Loop" - when I go long stretches of time without doing anything on offense because I'm too busy running around in a circle reviving my three teammates. I really love The Loop on a hack wave.

EDIT: Just got done playing the Platinum strike team with the 5 and 7 guys on XBox. The 5 guy was using a Level 1 character just to show everyone what a badass he was. The other guy in the room had a 1,200 APEX. We started rocky, but finished fine.

I swear, I hit a Progenitor on a boss wave with 3 cobras and at least 10 sticky grenades and might have taken his shields down. Maybe. It was lunacy.

The Avenger is a great choice for Platinum, but your role changes from offensive to support. I did the Hack at 2 and the Devices at 6 along with a ton of reviving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Robert C said:

I know I'm not great at this game, so it's always weird to me when I totally outclass everybody else in the match.

This is me all day long. Any time my name pops up in the #1 spot, there's a brief period of staring followed by me saying out loud, "How the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck???"

4 hours ago, jstout said:

Don't you have a Crucible on Uranus to go to?

What I hate is what I unaffectionally call "The Loop" - when I go long stretches of time without doing anything on offense because I'm too busy running around in a circle reviving my three teammates. I really love The Loop on a hack wave.

EDIT: Just got done playing the Platinum strike team with the 5 and 7 guys on XBox. The 5 guy was using a Level 1 character just to show everyone what a badass he was. The other guy in the room had a 1,200 APEX. We started rocky, but finished fine.

I swear, I hit a Progenitor on a boss wave with 3 cobras and at least 10 sticky grenades and might have taken his shields down. Maybe. It was lunacy.

The Avenger is a great choice for Platinum, but your role changes from offensive to support. I did the Hack at 2 and the Devices at 6 along with a ton of reviving.

I gotta hear more about Level 1 character dude. Even if you're a top leaderboard cat, I can't fathom even attempting that shit.

What was his strategy?

• Like 1

I didn't pay any attention to what character the guy was playing - maybe the new one. It was up to XX, so he got all the veteran bonuses. 

We were playing Zero (the spaceship map), so he sat in the back and shot the whole time the way everyone does on that map. Whatever works.

We were all on the game chat - very handy for Platinum - and he was this annoying little Yankee shit. I got paid, though, so Merry Christmas.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, Robert C said:

I played my Level 12 Human Artificer X this morning on the Bronze APEX mission with three other players with comparable characters and between Cryo Explosions and Invasion cluster bombs, I ended the match with a score of over 32K.

I completed the Outlaw Mastery DC in one match.

I didn't just carry the team; I was the team.

The Human Artificer is so broken in the best way possible.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, jstout said:

We were all on the game chat - very handy for Platinum - and he was this annoying little Yankee shit. I got paid, though, so Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

The Kroguard platinum approach is hilarious to play.  Last couple waves do get a little dicey when the Ascendants and Blaze Hydras start joining the dozens of regular Hydras, and the herds of Krogan.

Legit platinums weren't bad with everybody being able to go invisible and kind of knowing what they were doing.  Stout's idea of the invisble relay race on wave 7 was fun.  Only real problem we had was the one teammate that died 98735462436 times every wave despite having an apex rating of over 40K.  At least he got us all gold revive medals.

21 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Stout's idea of the invisble relay race on wave 7 was fun.

Yeah, nearly every Platinum group I've been in has had an Angaran Avenger or an Asari Huntress whose job it was to burn enough Stealth Grids to keep the team cloaked until the shuttle arrived.

If you use enough ammo packs or have the opportunity to make timely trips to the closest ammo box to the LZ (there is one co-located to the LZ on Magma) you can literally have one character use Stealth Grids to invis the entire team for the duration of the shuttle approach timer on Extraction Wave.

This exploit will continue to work thanks to there being no future nerfs to anything because Bioware..

Mics are super important when you are doing Platinum.  Invariably there will be one asshole that doesn't get the strat and will insist on shooting things and breaking stealth.

We had three people who could cloak, so we could run around individually instead of trying to coordinate movements. The other guy can kiss my ass. I've done the coordinated movement thing, it works equally as well. We used the ammo boxes as meet-up points for the next cloak.

Straight-up Platinum last night was a bear unless I stayed cloaked. As soon as I became visible, I was dead. It causes the game to be kinda long - throw some grenades, run out of grenades, go get more grenades, throw some more grenades, etc. - but it works. It's odd to me that there's all this chaos breaking out around you and the best thing to do is just relax and pick your spots and not be afraid to bail if where you're at's getting too crazy.

A re-spec on the Avenger for Platinum would be a good idea, but I can do without it. A re-spec to make her more Platinum-friendly would ruin her melee style for Gold and below, and I don't feel like changing her around every time I wanna slide from Platinum to Gold. There's a way she can be redone to give her two more power cell capacities for cloak and sticky grenades, bringing the total (with the grenade vest) to 9. Making that switch would be hard on meleeing, though. That'd be huge. I gotta play around with it some more.

2 hours ago, jstout said:

We had three people who could cloak, so we could run around individually instead of trying to coordinate movements. The other guy can kiss my ass. I've done the coordinated movement thing, it works equally as well. We used the ammo boxes as meet-up points for the next cloak.

Melraz did have to coordinate himself with that awful guy so he could revive his dead ass every 20 seconds.  It kinda reminded me of following a dog around picking up turds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jstout said:

I'd decided that dude was on his own a bit before that. Was he the one who jumped into the hack late and nearly screwed us, or was that catnip?

I figured I'd revive him if it was convenient, but that was about it.  I honestly don't remember if that awful hack was carrot or the other guy.

Yeah, my Level 12 Human Arfificer XI knocked out the Tech Mastery DC in two matches.  When I play one of my Engineers, it usually takes me four or five matches. 

With your Remnant Vi either detonating Cryo Combos with its missiles, triggering the Virulence effect from enemies you've infected with Invasion, or just plain ol' wrecking shop with its own weapons, the Tech Power kills just roll in and your Defense Drone makes anyone closing in for melee pay a heavy price and you can keep your Recharge Rate high and your Weight low simply by arming a single Rem-tech weapon like a PAW or Shadow.. 

I knocked out the PAW and Sweeper challenges yesterday while working on DCs with my Artificer and my Juggernaut and chipping away at my APEX mission queue.  One more AR challenge to beat and I will have AR Mastery Gold.

My Ryder is Level 83 now and Kadara once again has clean drinking water.  I really am going to have to grind to Level 100 in order to get all of my profiles at Tier 6, aren't I.  That sucks.

20 hours ago, jstout said:

Straight-up Platinum last night was a bear unless I stayed cloaked. As soon as I became visible,

I have pretty much given up trying to play Platinum.  Too many lowbies looking to be carried.

I have a hard enough time staying alive as a Level 20 character that is less than Tier X.  There is no way that some Sub 20 / Sub Tier X is going to survive that shit, but they still keep barging into lobbies and putting up their Ready flags.

The best thing I have heard in game in ages was said in team chat yesterday during a Gold APEX match when some Middle School aged squeaker with a mouth like a sailor running a point hording Krogan Engineer (APEX rating of 20K or so) complained about how my Artificer's "Remnant Six" kept stealing his kills..

WTF?

Oh...

I think he is referring to my Remnant Vee - Eye.

Stay in school, kids. Learn the difference between Roman numerals and abbreviations.

I honestly wasn't deliberately griefing the kid, but now I wish I had.

I also wish I knew how the cool kids created video clips from their gaming sessions, because his shrieks of rage were YouTube worthy.

• Like 1

I think the weekend Remnant base Silver APEX mission was doing something funky to the servers, 'cause we kept having server problems all night long. I dropped in the middle of a Platinum match where the poor bastards I was playing with seemed to be good people, but had no idea how it worked.

We were standing in the spot on Magma that you stand in if you're doing the Nova method, but we were all playing free-form style. So basically, we were trying to pool up and take on all the enemies at once without having any sort of tricks up our sleeve. The "leader" was counting on our gun damage seeing us through, but the numbers were gonna roll over that in time. We were doing fairly well through about Wave 3 (I think I dropped at 4), but I knew there was no way we were getting past Wave 5.

I tried to use the Artificer for some Tech challenge work, but I don't have her powers built up enough yet (I think she's now a Level 2), so the cryo beam and the infection thing didn't pack much punch. Her Remnant 6 totally kicks ass, though. I wound up switching to the usual Salarian (isn't it? Too lazy to look it up). His VI is decent and his inferno attack is a one-shot kill on lower-level stuff. 

Gotta go pick up "The Fractured But Whole." If I'm playing it and anyone else is on wanting to play multiplayer, shoot me a message. I'll be glad to switch over.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jstout said:

I think the weekend Remnant base Silver APEX mission was doing something funky to the servers, 'cause we kept having server problems all night long. I dropped in the middle of a Platinum match where the poor bastards I was playing with seemed to be good people, but had no idea how it worked.

We were standing in the spot on Magma that you stand in if you're doing the Nova method, but we were all playing free-form style. So basically, we were trying to pool up and take on all the enemies at once without having any sort of tricks up our sleeve. The "leader" was counting on our gun damage seeing us through, but the numbers were gonna roll over that in time. We were doing fairly well through about Wave 3 (I think I dropped at 4), but I knew there was no way we were getting past Wave 5.

I tried to use the Artificer for some Tech challenge work, but I don't have her powers built up enough yet (I think she's now a Level 2), so the cryo beam and the infection thing didn't pack much punch. Her Remnant 6 totally kicks ass, though. I wound up switching to the usual Salarian (isn't it? Too lazy to look it up). His VI is decent and his inferno attack is a one-shot kill on lower-level stuff. 

Gotta go pick up "The Fractured But Whole." If I'm playing it and anyone else is on wanting to play multiplayer, shoot me a message. I'll be glad to switch over.

I can only imagine how ugly that was.  It's kinda a shame you didn't make it to wave 6 or 7, with the Blaze Hydras and herds of Ascendants.

Guns just don't do enough damage to try that approach.   Gotta spread the bad guys out if you don't use the Kroguard smash.

The Bulwark thing would've helped a little, but not enough to make a difference. All the guns are either powerful, but don't shoot/reload fast enough, or shoots and reloads fast but aren't powerful enough. My problem is that I have to go to an ammo box every 3.5 seconds for more grenades and cloaks, so I can't stay in one place long. 

If I hadn't gotten kicked, I would've asked the guy running the show if he knew how to do the Krogan method. I just think he hadn't put enough thought into what he was trying to do and how he was trying to do it.