DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (Here be Spoilers)

RIPPA

After a day it's... Not awful or anything. It's a fine game mechanically and the gameplay is fun. That said, couple things I noticed.

ME1 crew and important staff on the Normandy: Joker, Ashley, Kaiden, Chakwas, Pressley, Adams,Garrus, Wrex, Tali, and Liara.

ME2 crew and important staff: Joker, EDI, Miranda, Jacob, Kelly, Garnder, Chakwas, Donnolly, Gabby, Mordin, Garrus, Jack, Grunt, Tali, Samara, Thane, Legion.

ME3 crew and important staff: Joker, EDI, Kaiden/Ashley, Vega, Traynor, Adams, Chakwas/Michel, Adams, Ken and Gabby, Garrus, Tali, with Wrex, Mordin and Legion having extended runs on the ship with cameos from Miranda, Jacob, Grunt, Samara, Thane, Kirrahe (fuck yeah), and Jack.

None of that includes major side characters like The Illusive Man, Anderson, Udina, Parasini, Aethyna, and others.

Here is the list of crew members on the Tempest I could name off the top of my head before I played yesterday.

Vetra, Peebee, Drak.

That was it. There was a giant blind spot that was literally 2/3rds of the crew. The cast didn't make close to the lasting impact the original series did.

Also, the Kett are shitty bad guys. Like, very very shitty. Generic as could be.

That said? i actually like Ryder a good deal. I think fem Ryder at least makes a really fun main character. She can view everything around her with a sense of wonder, which works. Also, she is young and in gigantically over her head. I like the contrast to Shepard there. If they did one thing right, the character of Sara Ryder might be it.

But damn this game just doesn't have enough options for something. Back in ME1 you and Ashley can have a conversation about god, and it gives you at least 3 options about what your character believes, from beleiving, not believing to accepting, to saying believing in god is silly. In Andromeda, they skip the middle option. You know, the one that doesn't make you look like an asshole. That is dumb as hell.

Overall, I'm gonna keep playing, but.... Eh. Combats fun.

22 hours ago, jstout said:

I'd like to try single-player with my guy set up like an Avenger, but I probably won't. At least I'm not completely against the idea like playing Skyrim or Fallout 4 again.

It took me a long time to remember what an Avenger actually was.  Only way I did was by thinking "what would Stout use?  Of yeah, the invisible, stabby fucker."  Basically we should have just named the Avenger "Dan", and been done with it.

I kinda thought about trying again a few months ago, but never did bother.  It would be kinds interesting to try as a different type of character, since I only ever used the base soldier for Andromeda (and ME3, for that matter.)  If I ever got that far, I'd probably just end up playing the original games for the nth time.  

Don't care, that multiplayer was a blast. I could go between leading a pack of low-level guys through golds to being part of a late-night crew playing Platinum random random over and over again, knowing I could at least hold up my end. From where I was at the start to where I got to was just a blast.

I'd only really like to play single-player again to court Cora this time.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

So, still playing this, actually. And it's fun. I will beat this game before 76 or Red Dead officially drops.

I just saw Don online playing it too

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure the only people still playing ME:A multiplayer are going to be so good at it they solo platinums easily. If it ever shows up on PS+ or Games w/Gold, that should expand the player base for a while.